New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Nov 15, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #1,457 of 1,956
I think I pretty much said it all in my post above. I have had them on my head for several hours today playing balanced from my Cavalli Liquid Carbon X. They sound wonderful through Pearl Jam, Perfect Circle and now, The Beatles. This amp goes for $300.00 on MassDrop, but I got it for $200.00 during a promo.
I find these headphones very exacting and this amp a little grainy/noisy. It has been described as sounding a bit "tubey" and I would not disagree. They are a perfect marriage, to me.

And you can get 97/98% of that goodness with the Cavalli Liquid Spark for $109.00. Or $80.00, if you can wait for an open box. All you are losing is power, in case you have any harder to drive headphones.

I find that these headphones can almost be a bit clinical and "dry". They sound better with the Cavalli's than my Burson Fun-Classic or my Vali 2. I don't think a super neutral amp (think any THX or the JDS Atom) would do these any favours.

Of course your tastes may vary.

Shane D

So, in your opinion, to make these WARM sounding which is the one I should go for sub 200$, I only need adequate power for these, as I dont fancy any other cans at the moment.

Nov 15, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,458 of 1,956
So, in your opinion, to make these WARM sounding which is the one I should go for sub 200$, I only need adequate power for these, as I dont fancy any other cans at the moment.

I hate to state anything emphatically. You may not like what I like. I have been listening to these with my LCX via balanced all week and they sound great. It has been quite a while since I used the T5p.2's this much.

I do think the Liquid Spark has 95% of the LCX's goodness, minus the XLR option and less power. However, keep in mind that I DON'T listen loud. With these headphones and all of my amps I am between 9:00 and 10:00 in low gain.

I think the Spark is awesome and the LCX is even better, but we all hear differently.

I will likely only use these headphones with a Cavalli going forward.

Shane D

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,459 of 1,956
How much of a part DAC plays, willing to try line out from my DAP, Cayin N6ii, has single totl akm chip.

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #1,460 of 1,956
How much of a part DAC plays, willing to try line out from my DAP, Cayin N6ii, has single totl akm chip.

I am not sure about that. I use my DAP (Sony ZX300) to feed my DAC (SMSL SU-8) and then straight to whichever amp.

Shane D

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #1,461 of 1,956
Finally making call on Cavalli Liquid Spark amp. They are up for 79$ for unboxed ones. Too tempting. But not sure, if they have an option of UK/India high voltage AC input adapter input, as Schiit does

Thanks @Shane D

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #1,462 of 1,956
The DAC and amp make a big difference.
I tried my T5P's direct from an iPhone 4S and iPhone 7 Plus against using my Chord Mojo plugged into the iPhones. Huge positive difference to the sound with everything.
Plugging my Chord Mojo into my Chord Blu Mk1 CD Transporter via optical (86kHz sampling rate into Mojo) made the music sound even better than from the iPhones.
Some day I would like to try my T5P's from a Chord TT2 and DAVE with a Chord M Scaler linked to my Chord Blu MK1. I can imagine the difference will also be a huge step up from the Chord Mojo.

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #1,463 of 1,956
The DAC and amp make a big difference.
I tried my T5P's direct from an iPhone 4S and iPhone 7 Plus against using my Chord Mojo plugged into the iPhones. Huge positive difference to the sound with everything.
Plugging my Chord Mojo into my Chord Blu Mk1 CD Transporter via optical (86kHz sampling rate into Mojo) made the music sound even better than from the iPhones.
Some day I would like to try my T5P's from a Chord TT2 and DAVE with a Chord M Scaler linked to my Chord Blu MK1. I can imagine the difference will also be a huge step up from the Chord Mojo.

I think you used both the DAC and amp of Mojo while connecting, gave digital out to Mojo.
I was wondering what if I have a portable good DAC (as in my cayin) and give line out to mid fi desktop amp to power t5p, and not use desktop dac.
Also Cayin N6ii has quite powerful amp, similar to maybe Mojo.

And sure, headphones would scale up with better source. :)

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #1,465 of 1,956
I think you used both the DAC and amp of Mojo while connecting, gave digital out to Mojo.
I was wondering what if I have a portable good DAC (as in my cayin) and give line out to mid fi desktop amp to power t5p, and not use desktop dac.
Also Cayin N6ii has quite powerful amp, similar to maybe Mojo.

And sure, headphones would scale up with better source. :)
Yes, I used the DAC and amp of the Mojo with my T5P's.
I have no experience with Cayin products so can't comment. I know though that the Chord Mojo is a great portable DAC and amp and also sounds great just as a DAC linked to my Chord Electronics Choral HiFi System.

Nov 16, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #1,466 of 1,956
@Bonesy Jonesy How warm does the Mojo make T5p, trebles rolled off?
I don't hear any treble roll off that is noticeable with the Mojo and T5P's. The sound is neither warm nor cold just neutral across all the frequencies with great and clear bass, mid-range and treble along with a great sound stage and separation of instruments. For the money with portability in mind, the Chord Mojo with the T5P's to my ears is one of the best sounding headphone systems I have owned and heard.

Nov 16, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #1,468 of 1,956
Finally making call on Cavalli Liquid Spark amp. They are up for 79$ for unboxed ones. Too tempting. But not sure, if they have an option of UK/India high voltage AC input adapter input, as Schiit does

Thanks @Shane D

Good luck!

Shane D

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,470 of 1,956
Hi All,

I have recently bought T5p2. When I listened to them at first I got disapointed by flat and dry sound. However, when i connected them to Burson conductor v2+ at home i was hit by completly different sound. Dynamic and full.

Has anybody any expirience with connecting T5p2 to Chord hugo (v1)? I have found Chord hugo with good price and should have it next week. I m also considering alternative more warm source. Would Alo v5 be good (supplementary) alternative?

Thanks for all thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back