New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Dec 8, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #1,471 of 1,956
Hi All,

I have recently bought T5p2. When I listened to them at first I got disapointed by flat and dry sound. However, when i connected them to Burson conductor v2+ at home i was hit by completly different sound. Dynamic and full.

Has anybody any expirience with connecting T5p2 to Chord hugo (v1)? I have found Chord hugo with good price and should have it next week. I m also considering alternative more warm source. Would Alo v5 be good (supplementary) alternative?

Thanks for all thoughts.

Yes, flat and dry is a fair description, at least in my experience. I liked it with my Burson Fun-Classic, liked it even more with my Liquid Spark and totally love it with my Cavalli LCX via XLR cable.

Some pretty cheap options there. I got the Spark for $80.00US for an open box. I got the LCX for $200.00US during Prime Days. Also $200.00US was the price on Black Friday weekend.

Shane D

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,472 of 1,956
The thing I have against the Hugo is the lack of iOS connectivity. I don't know if they have improved this with the latest version. Pity as like pretty much all Chord products, its sound quality is excellent. That is why I preferred the Oppo HA2-SE but after mine was stolen, I decided against buying it again as being obsolete and difficult to service or obtain warranty repairs and went with Beyerdynamic's own Impacto Universal. Not the most convenient product with its very small (but still very expensive) detachable Lion battery and weirdly short leads. I have improved it a lot with a set of custom extension leads from Custom Cans. The sound quality of the Impacto for a very small package is surprisingly good and not unexpectedly, matches the T5P-2 phones very well.

Wilson

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #1,473 of 1,956
Thanks, Cavalli seems interesting, however I prefer something more compact for the office. This is why I bought chord hugo, hopefully this will be also good for T5p2. As mentioned I will have hugo next week, but i wonder if additionally something like Alo Audio v5 would be a value added for more warm sound signature as an option along chord hugo? Or this does not make sense because the difference in sound signature will not be significant?

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #1,474 of 1,956
Anyone recommend a set of pads other than default for this headphone?

Dec 9, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #1,477 of 1,956
I would really like to find a set of pads for my T5P-2 phones in real Suede or failing that, in one of the high quality synthetic suedes (like I have on the Recaro seats in my 1977 Porsche 911 RSR rally car). The synthetic suede on the seats is called Dynamica 2 and is near indistinguishable from real suede except it is spongeable/washable to clean it.

Wilson

Dec 9, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #1,478 of 1,956
I have a pair of Brainwave Micro Suede memory foam XL pads sitting in the boot of my Aventador. They are super soft and comfy. Unsure on sonic changes.

Jks. I don't have a Aventador.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #1,479 of 1,956
I would really like to find a set of pads for my T5P-2 phones in real Suede or failing that, in one of the high quality synthetic suedes (like I have on the Recaro seats in my 1977 Porsche 911 RSR rally car). The synthetic suede on the seats is called Dynamica 2 and is near indistinguishable from real suede except it is spongeable/washable to clean it.

Wilson

Vesper audio makes all sorts of pads for a wide range of headphones. You can customize them just the way you like. I have had them make a pair of suede pads for my Stax L500 and they are a real beauty (and not in use, cause I sold my L500 before I got the pads :p)

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #1,480 of 1,956
Will a standard non locking - non proprietary cable work with these headphones? I'm just getting interested in these cans, and haven't read the thread yet. Thx

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #1,482 of 1,956
The plugs at the earphones end, need extended shank connector pins as the female 3.5mm sockets are recessed into the headphones. Later in the day, I will take a photo of the phone end 3.5mm plugs on my Custom Cables extension to illustrate and post on this thread. The connections for left and right phone connections are identical, using Tip and Ring as Arielext says above, whereas the industry standard is for the Right channel to use Tip for signal and Sleeve for ground and Left channel to use Ring for signal and Sleeve for ground.

Wilson

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #1,483 of 1,956
Here is a picture of my Custom Cans terminations at the phones end for the T5P-2 headphones, showing the long shanks needed for the recessed/shrouded sockets.

Wilson

T5P-2 terminations.jpg

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #1,484 of 1,956
Here is a picture of my Custom Cans terminations at the phones end for the T5P-2 headphones, showing the long shanks needed for the recessed/shrouded sockets.

Wilson

Perfect. I have a cable just like that. I also have 2 cables for my 99 Classics, but I'm assuming those may not work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back