New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Dec 14, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #1,487 of 1,956
Hi All,

I have plugged my T5p2 to chord hugo 1. While the sound became more powerfull the hights are a bit harsh, bass not so strong and overall not really smooth. I used t5 p at home with Burson conductor v2+ and it seemed ok. I use burson at home with audeze lcd 2 and it is the sound i would like to replcate (to the extent possible) at the office. Detailed but smooth and colorful. Very close are bowers&wilkins p7 i also have, although beyerdynamics t5 are much more comfortable.

Maybe i should change hugo and connect t5p2 into something like woo audio wa7 or even chord mojo? It may be also the case my t5p2 are not burned out yet. I bought them second hand, but lightly used. I am also thinking on keeping hugo but selling t5p2 and buying audioquest nightowl or oppo pm 3.

As you see i am a bit lost..All thoughts welcomed.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #1,489 of 1,956
For those who have not tried it, I would strongly encourage them to try the Beyerdynamic Impacto Universal, especially at its reduced price of €129. I think it is at least as good quality if not slightly better than the Oppo HA2-SE. I think you might be pleasantly surprised, apart from the output power, which I would have liked to see a little bit higher but then I am slightly deaf after facial and skull injuries in a motor racing accident many years ago.

Wilson

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #1,490 of 1,956
Hi All,

I have recently bought T5p2. When I listened to them at first I got disapointed by flat and dry sound. However, when i connected them to Burson conductor v2+ at home i was hit by completly different sound. Dynamic and full.

Has anybody any expirience with connecting T5p2 to Chord hugo (v1)? I have found Chord hugo with good price and should have it next week. I m also considering alternative more warm source. Would Alo v5 be good (supplementary) alternative?

Thanks for all thoughts.
Hi bpiotrow13,
I use my T5P's (2nd Generation) with my Chord Mojo either linked via USB to my iPhone 7 Plus, Macbook running Audiovana or my Chord Blu Mk1 CD Transporter via optical and they all sound fantastic for all genres of music (assuming the music files or VD are good to great quality) especially with the Chord Blu Mk1.
I haven't tried a Chord Hugo. I am planning to try a Hugo 2 hopefully early next year to see if there is a big jump up in sound quality with my T5P's.

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,491 of 1,956
For those who have not tried it, I would strongly encourage them to try the Beyerdynamic Impacto Universal, especially at its reduced price of €129. I think it is at least as good quality if not slightly better than the Oppo HA2-SE. I think you might be pleasantly surprised, apart from the output power, which I would have liked to see a little bit higher but then I am slightly deaf after facial and skull injuries in a motor racing accident many years ago.

Wilson
I tried the Beyerdynamic Impacto Universal a few months back with my T5P's 2nd Gen hoping it to be a great product (like the T5P 2nd Gen) but wasn't impressed at all. My Chord Mojo (which I bought 2nd hand for £250 a month or so before I bought the Impacto) trounced it over everything the Impacto offered. So I sent it back.

Dec 15, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #1,492 of 1,956
My Impacto was very underwhelming when I first connected it. I suspect from the recent big price drop that these have not been good sellers and consequently, sat around for some time unused, so the caps will have dropped out of spec. Some 30+ hours later, it was distinctly improved. This is always a problem with trying out new audio equipment. I bought some remaindered new old stock Danish Infinity Kappa 200 speakers reduced from the original RRP of £1700 to £250. Infinity really only do upmarket in car speakers/amps now. The Kappas had sat around for at least 5 years in their cartons unused. I reasoned that as they had won a number of awards around 2003/4 when they first came out, they had to be pretty good, albeit that they are pug ugly, managing to make the very expensive arctic beech veneer, look just like formica. However, they were going in my office in France, so appearance was not critical. They were absolutely horrible when I first connected them to the Boothhroyd-Stuart Meridian 551 integrated amp and took over 100 hours to burn in. They are now excellent and 12 years later, just get better and better.

Now that Chord have sorted out the iOS connection on the Hugo 2, I am very tempted. I am sure it will be a whole order of magnitude better than the Impacto.

Wilson

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,493 of 1,956
I am doing some comparisons with my gear to see what stays and what goes. The last few days I have been comparing my LCX (SE out) and Liquid Spark. Today I am going to use my T5p.2's. I went nuts on Friday night and bought 19 songs from Marcus King. 17 songs from four different albums and two songs from his upcoming solo album. Add in some recently purchased singles and you have an awesome 30 song playlist.

And that is my Sunday laid out. Along with lots of headphone jack swapping.:L3000:

Shane D

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,494 of 1,956
Hi bpiotrow13,
I use my T5P's (2nd Generation) with my Chord Mojo either linked via USB to my iPhone 7 Plus, Macbook running Audiovana or my Chord Blu Mk1 CD Transporter via optical and they all sound fantastic for all genres of music (assuming the music files or VD are good to great quality) especially with the Chord Blu Mk1.
I haven't tried a Chord Hugo. I am planning to try a Hugo 2 hopefully early next year to see if there is a big jump up in sound quality with my T5P's.
Thanks, I am curious what would be your impressions. I do not think t5p2 is a perfect match with chord hugo, as it is too bright, although it is obviously totally subjective. I will give myself a week or two but i am thinking on selling either t5p2 or chord hugo.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #1,495 of 1,956
Thanks, I am curious what would be your impressions. I do not think t5p2 is a perfect match with chord hugo, as it is too bright, although it is obviously totally subjective. I will give myself a week or two but i am thinking on selling either t5p2 or chord hugo.
I have found the T5P2's to be a great headphone using them whilst travelling and at home. They are easy to drive, comfortable and sound superb. I have had lots of headphones and headphone systems in the past and I have to say linked to the Chord Mojo is one of the best headphone set ups I have owned both in value for money and all-round ability.

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #1,496 of 1,956
I am a big fan of bright precise sound, so I suspect I would like the Hugo 2 if I buy that to use with my T5P-2 phones. For my main systems in both France and the UK, I use Acoustic Transducer Company (ATC) speakers with Krell Class A amplifiers, which is at the extreme end of precise sound. With audio it is very much each to their own. I hate my brother's audio systems (high end Yamaha with B+W speakers) which sound horribly chocolately over rich to me. He hates my systems which he says are bright enough to make his ears bleed.

Wilson

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #1,497 of 1,956
That is all true, sound perception is very subjective. The best sound so far for me is Audeze lcd 2f plugged to Burson conductor cv2+ I have at home. I guess i am trying to replicate it in the office in a compact form.

Chord hugo is just not the best match with t5p2 for me. Thanks for the hint with mojo. I also considered it for a while, but it is not the most convenient in the office, since it is not recommended to be used while charging.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #1,498 of 1,956
That is all true, sound perception is very subjective. The best sound so far for me is Audeze lcd 2f plugged to Burson conductor cv2+ I have at home. I guess i am trying to replicate it in the office in a compact form.

Chord hugo is just not the best match with t5p2 for me. Thanks for the hint with mojo. I also considered it for a while, but it is not the most convenient in the office, since it is not recommended to be used while charging.
As far as I am aware you can use the Chord Mojo whilst it is charging although some are known to get warm when charging and using it at the same time. If your not sure about this contact Chord Electronics via email. I'm sure they will give you a speedy reply.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #1,499 of 1,956
Is there an unequivocal consensus in terms of whether or not the T5P benefits from being run through a balanced amp/dac? I am just curious if there's any notable difference in terms of detail retrieval, resolution, tonality etc?

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #1,500 of 1,956
Hi, can someone tell me the best way to apply the DT1770 velour pads to the T5P? I have just received a set of new pads, but there seems to be a plastic ring obstructing access to the lip one would usually use. I know they're compatible and I'm likely being inept, but if someone can let me know how, I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

Edit: ignore, I was indeed being an idiot. Fixed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back