New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #3,272 of 3,924
my experience with the t1's were really weird. I don't know if I needed to acclimate to them or what. first thing I listened to them with was ozzy. I think I eventually settled in on them but they always seemed a bit anemic to me. I really love how open they are and articulate. IEMs may have ruined me.

You do need to get use to them. I have been listening to Verite for quite a while. When I first started listening to the T1.2, they sound very laid back coming from the Verite. Also they thrive on power. Give them good power and they open up. You're not going to get the super detailed sound of the Verite or Utopia but the T1.2 can make you smile with a rock song.

I even run it with my Sansui au-alpha 907mr and Mike Knopfler's electric guitar comes alive and the drum kicks is real. This sounds as good as my desktop system if not better.

IMG_0473.jpg

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #3,279 of 3,924
Oh so I just need to invest 7 grand in a new system. Good to know haha

Sweet setup

Well I have my setup before I got the T1.2. You're starting the other way around so you have a choice. At the shop I thought the WA22 and Conductor V2+ sounded very good with the T1.2. I got my Conductor V2+ 2nd hand and it's less than US$500.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #3,280 of 3,924
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #3,281 of 3,924
I got my replacement Dekoni pads today and the entire sound signature is changed. To my ears it's much better now. It reminds me more of my previous Amiron Home headphones. The pads I bought were the Dekoni Audio Elite Velour Earpads for Beyerdynamic DT Series Headphones - part number: EPZ-DT78990-ELVL. Even though they are for the beyerdynamic DT-series of headphones, they fit perfectly on the T1.2's, and fitting literally takes a minute. There is a seam on them and once fitted, you can rotate the pads so that the seam is at the bottom of the earcup.

They come in a rather nice box:
JxFfACc.jpg

In order to compare sizes, here's the stock pads:
p9c7mVL.jpg

B9Tm3lL.jpg

And here are the Dekoni Elite Velour pads fitted to my T1.2's:
CiaSbkS.jpg

iPfmzlN.jpg

As you can see, they are quite a bit thicker than the stock pads, and the memory foam in them is denser than that in the stock pads. One thing I noticed was that the stock pads have no acoustic material covering the opening. The Dekoti ones do.

In terms of sound change, the treble fizz and harshness that I was getting is completely gone now. One downside is that the open and airy nature of the stock pads has also gone. The sound signature is now quite a bit warmer. With the treble suppressed, the mid-bass is more prominent - this is why I am reminded of my Amiron Homes. As some sound suppression is going on, I do have to turn my headphone amp volume up a small amount more. I am running my head amp volume control at the 2 O'Clock position so there isn't a lot of spare headroom left, so I think I will need a much more powerful headphone in the future to get better sound quality.

In terms of fit and comfort, for my (rather large 70mm) ears, the Dekoni pads are a much better fit, and way more comfortable than the stock pads. I was fidgeting about with the stock pads during listening sessions and this detracted from the enjoyment of the music. The Dekoni ones are like pressing a soft pillow against your ears. I think they will be more enjoyable to wear for bedtime listening for 1-3 hours, although I have to get through several evenings of listening to verify this.

So, for me, the plusses outweigh the minuses. I sense a small loss of airiness, clarity and detail, but I gain a more soothing, warmer sound with no annoying treble harshness, and the more comfortable fit is a big advantage. The suppression of the treble is quite noticeable, and possibly a bit too much.

In summary, if you want an open, airy sound with lots of sparkle and detail then stick with the stock pads. If you want a warmer, more bass-led sound with quite a suppression of treble, and supreme comfort, then I recommend the Dekoni Elite Velour pads for the T1.2's.

One last thing, the Dekoni Elite Velour pads add quite a bit of weight to the T1.2's. The stock pads are incredibly lightweight in comparison. As I mostly listen in bed, this increased weight will never be an issue for me. Also, the increased comfort of the Dekoni pads somewhat offsets the increased weight.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #3,282 of 3,924
^A sheet or two of toiletpaper will bring the treble down a tad.
Or you could kill two mosquitos with one stone and order the Dekoni Elite Velours that hopefully will take care of both issues. They were designed to tame the Beyer treble and I personally feel they’re even more comfortable than stock.
OR
Buy an HD600 instead:p

I have to thank you for your advice about the Dekoni pads! Not only have they solved all of my issues with the T1.2’s, they have improved the sound to what is end-game for me. I tweaked some settings on my audio chain and my amp doesn’t sound stressed any more either, so won’t need to be upgraded for the time being. The treble is now simply as sweet as honey! The bass is just beautiful. Vocals are mesmerising.

So, a very big thank you to you from me. You have saved me a lot of expense and stress.

I listened to my T1.2’s last night with the Dekoni pads for around 2.5 hours. The sound was simply perfect for me, as was the comfort.

May 4, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #3,284 of 3,924
A new Gen2 owner checking in. I bought them new in silver last week. So far I only have few hours on my ears but liking everything about it so far. I'm not an expert at describing the sound but compared to my Fostex TH-X00 it has less bass but sounds crisper with more detail (I still like my Fostex cans a lot too for the record). I love that they are different as to me that's the whole point of owning multiple headphones.

I'm driving mine with the new ifi Zen Dac with the balanced cable and 4.4 converter from Amazon. I'm listening to a mix of Spotify (I have their highest family plan so whatever their top source is what I'm using), flac files using Plexamp from my plex server as well as a few random internet classical music sites.

I'm not sure if I'm going to switch out the ear pads but I do enjoy my Dekoni Elite Sheepskin on my Fostex. I'll see if I like the soft velour as they are overall quite comfortable.

May 4, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #3,285 of 3,924
A new Gen2 owner checking in. I bought them new in silver last week. So far I only have few hours on my ears but liking everything about it so far. I'm not an expert at describing the sound but compared to my Fostex TH-X00 it has less bass but sounds crisper with more detail (I still like my Fostex cans a lot too for the record). I love that they are different as to me that's the whole point of owning multiple headphones.

I'm driving mine with the new ifi Zen Dac with the balanced cable and 4.4 converter from Amazon. I'm listening to a mix of Spotify (I have their highest family plan so whatever their top source is what I'm using), flac files using Plexamp from my plex server as well as a few random internet classical music sites.

I'm not sure if I'm going to switch out the ear pads but I do enjoy my Dekoni Elite Sheepskin on my Fostex. I'll see if I like the soft velour as they are overall quite comfortable.
The Fostex TH-X00 bass might be bigger but it loose and boomy sounding. The bass on T1.2's is of better quality, it's tighter and more controlled. The bass on the T1.2's is also deep with much better definition in comparison to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back