New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
May 4, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #3,286 of 3,924
The Fostex TH-X00 bass might be bigger but it loose and boomy sounding. The bass on T1.2's is of better quality, it's tighter and more controlled. The bass on the T1.2's is also deep with much better definition in comparison to my ears.
I'm sure you're right. I've only just recently got back into critical listening so I'm sure I'll get my ears and brain back in order before long.

May 4, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #3,287 of 3,924
I'm sure you're right. I've only just recently got back into critical listening so I'm sure I'll get my ears and brain back in order before long.
It’s a fun and sometimes frustrating hobby. As long as you can avoid the upgrade bug, you should be more than happy with the T1.2’s.

May 4, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #3,288 of 3,924
I'm still enjoying T1.2 and with the La Figaro, it's thunderous bass. :wink:

IMG_0517.jpg

May 5, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #3,289 of 3,924
I'm still enjoying T1.2 and with the La Figaro, it's thunderous bass. :wink:

IMG_0517.jpg
Yes I've found the same thing, the bass scales well too. I've just bought a Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid cable for my T1.2's, which I've found to give elevated bass over the stock cable, and with bassy tubes in my Feliks Elise and bass heavy tracks I can get a delicious rumble out of them :dt880smile:.
20200504_133048_resized[894].jpg

May 6, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #3,292 of 3,924
I got my replacement Dekoni pads today and the entire sound signature is changed. To my ears it's much better now. It reminds me more of my previous Amiron Home headphones. The pads I bought were the Dekoni Audio Elite Velour Earpads for Beyerdynamic DT Series Headphones - part number: EPZ-DT78990-ELVL. Even though they are for the beyerdynamic DT-series of headphones, they fit perfectly on the T1.2's, and fitting literally takes a minute. There is a seam on them and once fitted, you can rotate the pads so that the seam is at the bottom of the earcup.

They come in a rather nice box:
JxFfACc.jpg

In order to compare sizes, here's the stock pads:
p9c7mVL.jpg

B9Tm3lL.jpg

And here are the Dekoni Elite Velour pads fitted to my T1.2's:
CiaSbkS.jpg

iPfmzlN.jpg

As you can see, they are quite a bit thicker than the stock pads, and the memory foam in them is denser than that in the stock pads. One thing I noticed was that the stock pads have no acoustic material covering the opening. The Dekoti ones do.

In terms of sound change, the treble fizz and harshness that I was getting is completely gone now. One downside is that the open and airy nature of the stock pads has also gone. The sound signature is now quite a bit warmer. With the treble suppressed, the mid-bass is more prominent - this is why I am reminded of my Amiron Homes. As some sound suppression is going on, I do have to turn my headphone amp volume up a small amount more. I am running my head amp volume control at the 2 O'Clock position so there isn't a lot of spare headroom left, so I think I will need a much more powerful headphone in the future to get better sound quality.

In terms of fit and comfort, for my (rather large 70mm) ears, the Dekoni pads are a much better fit, and way more comfortable than the stock pads. I was fidgeting about with the stock pads during listening sessions and this detracted from the enjoyment of the music. The Dekoni ones are like pressing a soft pillow against your ears. I think they will be more enjoyable to wear for bedtime listening for 1-3 hours, although I have to get through several evenings of listening to verify this.

So, for me, the plusses outweigh the minuses. I sense a small loss of airiness, clarity and detail, but I gain a more soothing, warmer sound with no annoying treble harshness, and the more comfortable fit is a big advantage. The suppression of the treble is quite noticeable, and possibly a bit too much.

In summary, if you want an open, airy sound with lots of sparkle and detail then stick with the stock pads. If you want a warmer, more bass-led sound with quite a suppression of treble, and supreme comfort, then I recommend the Dekoni Elite Velour pads for the T1.2's.

One last thing, the Dekoni Elite Velour pads add quite a bit of weight to the T1.2's. The stock pads are incredibly lightweight in comparison. As I mostly listen in bed, this increased weight will never be an issue for me. Also, the increased comfort of the Dekoni pads somewhat offsets the increased weight.

I also got the dekoni elite velours, I find them a little less warm and bassy than the stock pads which are more mid/upper-bassy and more intimate. My impressions is the mid/upper-bass has decreased some but sub-bass seems a bit more present, got slightly brighter as a whole but peak seems a bit calmer, a bit cleaner and tighter sounding. Essentially they became more neutral sounding. Will post long term impressions in the future, though currently with them I am missing some of the warmth, roundness, and body I had with the stock pads so may revert back, will try these pads out on the Amiron Home as well.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #3,293 of 3,924
I got my replacement Dekoni pads today and the entire sound signature is changed. To my ears it's much better now. It reminds me more of my previous Amiron Home headphones. The pads I bought were the Dekoni Audio Elite Velour Earpads for Beyerdynamic DT Series Headphones - part number: EPZ-DT78990-ELVL. Even though they are for the beyerdynamic DT-series of headphones, they fit perfectly on the T1.2's, and fitting literally takes a minute. There is a seam on them and once fitted, you can rotate the pads so that the seam is at the bottom of the earcup.

They come in a rather nice box:
JxFfACc.jpg

In order to compare sizes, here's the stock pads:
p9c7mVL.jpg

B9Tm3lL.jpg

And here are the Dekoni Elite Velour pads fitted to my T1.2's:
CiaSbkS.jpg

iPfmzlN.jpg

As you can see, they are quite a bit thicker than the stock pads, and the memory foam in them is denser than that in the stock pads. One thing I noticed was that the stock pads have no acoustic material covering the opening. The Dekoti ones do.

In terms of sound change, the treble fizz and harshness that I was getting is completely gone now. One downside is that the open and airy nature of the stock pads has also gone. The sound signature is now quite a bit warmer. With the treble suppressed, the mid-bass is more prominent - this is why I am reminded of my Amiron Homes. As some sound suppression is going on, I do have to turn my headphone amp volume up a small amount more. I am running my head amp volume control at the 2 O'Clock position so there isn't a lot of spare headroom left, so I think I will need a much more powerful headphone in the future to get better sound quality.

In terms of fit and comfort, for my (rather large 70mm) ears, the Dekoni pads are a much better fit, and way more comfortable than the stock pads. I was fidgeting about with the stock pads during listening sessions and this detracted from the enjoyment of the music. The Dekoni ones are like pressing a soft pillow against your ears. I think they will be more enjoyable to wear for bedtime listening for 1-3 hours, although I have to get through several evenings of listening to verify this.

So, for me, the plusses outweigh the minuses. I sense a small loss of airiness, clarity and detail, but I gain a more soothing, warmer sound with no annoying treble harshness, and the more comfortable fit is a big advantage. The suppression of the treble is quite noticeable, and possibly a bit too much.

In summary, if you want an open, airy sound with lots of sparkle and detail then stick with the stock pads. If you want a warmer, more bass-led sound with quite a suppression of treble, and supreme comfort, then I recommend the Dekoni Elite Velour pads for the T1.2's.

One last thing, the Dekoni Elite Velour pads add quite a bit of weight to the T1.2's. The stock pads are incredibly lightweight in comparison. As I mostly listen in bed, this increased weight will never be an issue for me. Also, the increased comfort of the Dekoni pads somewhat offsets the increased weight.

Taking the time for a long post & photos is much appreciated. It helps with informed decisions.

May 11, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #3,295 of 3,924
Hello there! My beyer t1.2 is arriving this week. I have a darkvoice tube amp with sylvania tubes.. also a sp200 solid state & an ifi micro black label. Do you think the t1.2 will fare good enough with my amps? Thanks!
It works fine with my iFi Zen DAC which is below most if not all of your gear class wise I imagine since mine is an entry level DAC/Amp

May 11, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,296 of 3,924
Hello there! My beyer t1.2 is arriving this week. I have a darkvoice tube amp with sylvania tubes.. also a sp200 solid state & an ifi micro black label. Do you think the t1.2 will fare good enough with my amps? Thanks!

Darkvoice 336se should be good with T1.2. It was my first tube amp back in 2015!

May 11, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #3,297 of 3,924
Turn up the volume of the La Figaro 339 and you've the T1.2 coming on song with the power of a V8 driving it.

The T1.2 and LCD-3f have been spending more time on my head than the other headphones these few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back