New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jan 31, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #3,151 of 3,924
How much extra would you say the 2nd generation is worth over the old T1?
I have my eyes on a used T1 1st gen for a little over 400€ whereas a new T1 2nd gen is around 750-800€.

From what I have gathered there are quite differing opinions on their sound with some stating that the 2nd gen is bad because it's too warm-sounding and others saying it's much better because the treble has been tamed slightly. Is there really a large difference or are we talking minor reductions in treble and a slight bump in bass? Frequency response graphs would seem to indicate that the differences should be minor, although they obviously can't tell the whole story.
I'm used to the sound of the HD 600 and 650 as well as the T90. The T90, as you probably know, were disliked by many for being crazy treble cannons, but the treble on them never bothered me much in the roughly 5 years I've had them. They are definitely very bright, but only on select recordings does it end up being too much and/or sounding worse than the 600/650 to me. From what I understand the T1 - both versions - is not nearly as bright as the T90, but happens to have a wider soundstage and more detail.

I suppose I do prefer a bit of treble sparkle as I have to say that between the HD 600, 650 and T90, the HD 650 is probably my least favourite because of how dark it can make some things sound. T90 would be somewhere in the middle for me as it sounds fantastic with some recordings, whereas the HD 600 sounds good with just about everything and is probably my overall favourite for that reason.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #3,152 of 3,924
How much extra would you say the 2nd generation is worth over the old T1?
From what I have gathered there are quite differing opinions on their sound with some stating that the 2nd gen is bad because it's too warm-sounding and others saying it's much better because the treble has been tamed slightly. Is there really a large difference or are we talking minor reductions in treble and a slight bump in bass?

I used to own the old T1 but I sold it when I bought the T1 2nd gen and to my ears the difference in sound is significant with the treble of the 2nd gen being much more tolerable to my ears than the original. Keep in mind that I'm very treble-sensitive and for reference the HD 650 is one of my all-time favorite headphones. Based on your description above you seem much more treble-tolerant than me so the difference may not be that large to your ears. YMMV, as we like to say.

Jan 31, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #3,153 of 3,924
I used to own the old T1 but I sold it when I bought the T1 2nd gen and to my ears the difference in sound is significant with the treble of the 2nd gen being much more tolerable to my ears than the original. Keep in mind that I'm very treble-sensitive and for reference the HD 650 is one of my all-time favorite headphones. Based on your description above you seem much more treble-tolerant than me so the difference may not be that large to your ears. YMMV, as we like to say.

I’m not very treble tolerant either and honestly have no issue with the T1.2’s treble, it has more energy than the HD 650 but I find it non-fatiguing, in fact I have overall less fatigue on the T1.2 than the HD 650 (the Senns upper mids can get to me at times)

Feb 1, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #3,154 of 3,924
Feb 1, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3,155 of 3,924
I’m not very treble tolerant either and honestly have no issue with the T1.2’s treble, it has more energy than the HD 650 but I find it non-fatiguing, in fact I have overall less fatigue on the T1.2 than the HD 650 (the Senns upper mids can get to me at times)
Thanks for replying. I don't expect either version of the T1 to be a problem for me in the treble area considering I have rarely encountered issues with the T90 and certainly not with either the HD 600 or 650. I suppose my only complaint about the sound of the T90 is that some music can sound somewhat thin because of all the treble, although I've found it to be rare. If anything, I guess that is my main worry with the T1 1st gen compared to the 2nd gen - that the first generation may also have that issue.

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #3,156 of 3,924
I ended up buying the 2nd gen version.
So far I am quite happy with them as I feel that they more or less improve on every aspect of my other headphones.
They have the very clear sound of the T90 but without the treble occasionally sounding like it's overpowering everything else. They are still bright, though, but it's not a problem for me.
The sound stage is noticeably larger, especially when compared to the HD 600 and 650 which sound very closed and congested in comparison. The HD 600 gets a little closer in terms of overall enjoyment for me, but the wide and much more open sound of the T1 is a very nice addition.
The T1 also sounds noticeably more detailed than the 600 and 650, but compared to the T90 I'm not sure.
The T1 also seems to have much better bass impact than either of the other three.

I still have a few weeks in case I wish to return them, but so far I don't see that being the case. For now, I think they may have just solved all of the issues I had with the 600/650 and T90.

And this is just from having tried them out of an O2 amp and Magni 2. I want to say they sound better out of the Magni, but I'm not sure there really is a difference. Probably not.

I am considering purchasing a better amplifier in the near future and right now have my eyes set on the Asgard 3 as it looks to be an incredible deal. I also considered the SMSL SP200, but there appears to be some noticeable issues with the volume knob from what I understand. What's everyone else using with their T1?

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3,157 of 3,924
I ended up buying the 2nd gen version.
So far I am quite happy with them as I feel that they more or less improve on every aspect of my other headphones.
They have the very clear sound of the T90 but without the treble occasionally sounding like it's overpowering everything else. They are still bright, though, but it's not a problem for me.
The sound stage is noticeably larger, especially when compared to the HD 600 and 650 which sound very closed and congested in comparison. The HD 600 gets a little closer in terms of overall enjoyment for me, but the wide and much more open sound of the T1 is a very nice addition.
The T1 also sounds noticeably more detailed than the 600 and 650, but compared to the T90 I'm not sure.
The T1 also seems to have much better bass impact than either of the other three.

I still have a few weeks in case I wish to return them, but so far I don't see that being the case. For now, I think they may have just solved all of the issues I had with the 600/650 and T90.

And this is just from having tried them out of an O2 amp and Magni 2. I want to say they sound better out of the Magni, but I'm not sure there really is a difference. Probably not.

I am considering purchasing a better amplifier in the near future and right now have my eyes set on the Asgard 3 as it looks to be an incredible deal. I also considered the SMSL SP200, but there appears to be some noticeable issues with the volume knob from what I understand. What's everyone else using with their T1?
For a 600 Ohm HP, it is better with amp of good power, when I review Burson Audio playMate, I found that SP200 is not as powerful as it seems, so I sold it.
I dont have T1 or high impedance HP, so I am not sure how PlayMate will do. Good luck on hunting amp for your T1.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #3,158 of 3,924
For a 600 Ohm HP, it is better with amp of good power, when I review Burson Audio playMate, I found that SP200 is not as powerful as it seems, so I sold it.
I dont have T1 or high impedance HP, so I am not sure how PlayMate will do. Good luck on hunting amp for your T1.
I use the Burson Conductor 3x with the T1 Gen 2 and it transformed the listening experience, even with the TRS plug. Better and deeper bottom end, upper midrange has been tamed and the dynamics seem limitless. Very occasional peak related distortion (with the previous Mytek DSD 192) is gone. Yes, it's AUS$4.5k, but it sounds great. The Neumann sounds superb through the Burson also. I didn't expect that much of a change due to the better power and control - let's just say it was a more-than-expected surprise.
Still waiting for the cables to try a balanced output to the Beyerdynamics.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #3,159 of 3,924
I've been eyeing the T1 for a little while but the only amp that i'm currently running is the 789. Will it run the T1's at least at a decent volume?

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #3,160 of 3,924
I've been eyeing the T1 for a little while but the only amp that i'm currently running is the 789. Will it run the T1's at least at a decent volume?
I only found an amp that can drive 600 ohm at 1.7w - lake people hpa rs 08, others are hardly more than 0.6w, not sure how much power is sufficient.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #3,161 of 3,924
Apologies for interrupting the thread but if anyone is interested in selling a pair t1.2 . I’m in the UK, please drop me a DM. :)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #3,163 of 3,924
Feb 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,164 of 3,924
Can someone explain to me what the difference is in operation regarding an amp like the Asgard 3 and the Beyerdynamic A20, specifically in the area of output impedance? I’m considering the T1 for purchase later this year and would need an amp to match. I wish they had a matching DAC though.
Also, I stumbled on this guy’s test reviews. It has been very helpful for me to actually get an idea of what these sound like.
No Theme Reviews:T1.v2

Feb 25, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #3,165 of 3,924
Can someone explain to me what the difference is in operation regarding an amp like the Asgard 3 and the Beyerdynamic A20, specifically in the area of output impedance? I’m considering the T1 for purchase later this year and would need an amp to match. I wish they had a matching DAC though.
Also, I stumbled on this guy’s test reviews. It has been very helpful for me to actually get an idea of what these sound like.
No Theme Reviews:T1.v2
According to this review there should not be much of a difference as far as the amplifier's output impedance is concerned.
To test this the headphone is measured via a low impedance amplifier (0.2Ω) and a high impedance amplifier (120Ω). On a higher output resistance amplifier the output level will be slightly lower. To compensate for this the amplifier is cranked up a bit to the same level (at 1kHz) as the low impedance amplifier. This way the plots are overlay-ed and it is easy to see how the tonal balance changes.
There is ‘only’ a <1dB boost in the lows. (Right channel is measured). This is not really audible so very safe to connect it to all kinds of desktop amps and even directly to the speaker output of power amps (max 100W)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back