New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jan 12, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #3,121 of 3,924
Without reading through the very long threads about DT1990 (with its different pads) and about the T1 (2nd generation), what are the salient differences between the two?
Soundwise?
Where are the frequency response curves for this? Also for the A & B versions (1) of the DT1990.
(1)
EDT 1990 A a pair of ear pads for a neutral sound (included in the delivery)
EDT 1990 B a pair of ear pads for a sound with a slight bass boost (included in the delivery)

PS: The same Question I did here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bey...ering-headphone.814629/page-181#post-15411990

Jan 12, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #3,122 of 3,924
Without reading through the very long threads about DT1990 (with its different pads) and about the T1 (2nd generation), what are the salient differences between the two?
Soundwise?
Where are the frequency response curves for this? Also for the A & B versions (1) of the DT1990.
(1)
EDT 1990 B a pair of ear pads for a sound with a slight bass boost (included in the delivery)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bey...ering-headphone.814629/page-181#post-15411990

Without going much into statistics, I can provide some subjective listening experiences. I used to own both Dt1990 and T1.2 (Beyer fan here), but I did not keep the DT1990. It is too cold, analytical, and fatiguing for me. The T1.2 on the other hand is dynamic, musical, and comes with a more tolerable treble. Soundstage wise, the T1.2 is wider and more open than the DT1990. Some people claimed that the bass is better on DT1990, but my experience contradicts this. I ended up liking the slightly lighter yet more controlled bass of the T1.2. Clearly, Beyer sound house with the Tesla driver have produced this consistently annoying treble peak that becomes apparent to folks who are relatively sensitive like myself, but I did manage to tame it down a bit with warmer DAC and tube amps (which also give you all the bass you will need on the T1.2). I would pick the T1.2 any day and it will stay in my collection.

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #3,123 of 3,924
Soundwise?
(1)

The T1.2 and 1990's do sound very different, and have very different sound signatures.
The 1990's have a typically 'V' shaped sound signature, with slightly recessed mids and a bit of an upper treble 'spike'. The bass is deep and expansive.
In comparison, the T1.2's have a slightly forward upper-mid profile, with slightly less sub-bass than the 1990's. The treble is also a little less pronounced.
On initial listening, the 1990's are the 'easier' listen IMO. They sound great with most genres, and really excel with rock & pop etc, i.e. something with a great bassline.
I have always thought that the T1.2's are a bit like 'marmite'. You'll either love 'em, or you'll hate 'em. On initial listening, they sound a little boxy and 'strange' compared to the 1990's. It's to do with their upper-mid emphasis. However, feed them things like vocal jazz and classical, and they excel.
I think that both sets of cans have different uses, and that's why I have both. However, if I had to choose and just keep one set, it would be the 1990's. They're just more versatile. Saying that, I'd miss my T1.2's if I didn't have them.

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #3,124 of 3,924
Comparison between the 2nd Gen T1 and the Clears? I listened to the Clears off a Mcintosh MHA150 amp, the presentation was very clear compared to my T1.2s which have this hump in the midrange that almost makes them sound slighty muffled even though the treble gives the sound a certain sharpness to it. The treble on the Clears didn't seem to bother me either, nice attack without any of the troublesome "s" issues that the T1.2's had (which is interesting because up till the T1.2 I never found the treble in any headphone to be that sibilant with "S" sounds. I also found the drums in the song "Ego" by Sarz to take on a metallic hue that's painful to listen to at higher volumes (I'll link the song below), it starts at the 27s mark. This is coming from a person who usually likes bright headphones. Bass presentation between the two is quite similar although in my opinion the Clears sounded cleaner with better impact in that region as well. I'm curious if my impressions are similar to anyone else's that have listened to the two. Also, what makes the T1.2 flagship worthy really? Maybe if I better understood what Beyerdynamic was trying to do with the sound I would better appreciate them.The weird part is when my T1.2 is plugged into my desktop (HP Omen Obelisk 875) as opposed to my solid state amp & dac all those flaws are basically gone. The S while sharp isn't sibilant, the chesty midrange hump is gone leading to a cleaner presentation, and the bass hits with more impact while sounding clean. Maybe i'm asking too much but a "flagship shouldn't have me plugging into another source" that is clearly altering the sound somehow (even though no eq's/effects are active) just to "get it right".

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #3,126 of 3,924
The Mcintosh MHA150 is perhaps not the most suitable headphone amplifier, I know the Beyerdynamics very well and I have a Questyle CMA Twelve Master. Currently I have a DT1990 and a DT1770, I am waiting for a T1.2 black edition. In addition I tried the Mcintosh MHA150, I must say that on the headphone amplification part given the price I found that the proposal was clearly not at the level of what exists at 7000$ ... Of course this is only my opinion, but I do not know anyone who has literally hype's on this amplifier, while I know a lot of users of Chord Hugo TT2, Viva 845, Auris HA2, Topping DX, Questyle CMA, Mojo, Matrix audio, Lehmann ...

The T1.2 is a complex headphone, it should perhaps not be approached as an analytical flagship but simply as a versatile tool. As far as I am concerned, it will be my luxury multimedia headphone and not a purely musical tool.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #3,127 of 3,924
The Mcintosh MHA150 is perhaps not the most suitable headphone amplifier, I know the Beyerdynamics very well and I have a Questyle CMA Twelve Master. Currently I have a DT1990 and a DT1770, I am waiting for a T1.2 black edition. In addition I tried the Mcintosh MHA150, I must say that on the headphone amplification part given the price I found that the proposal was clearly not at the level of what exists at 7000$ ... Of course this is only my opinion, but I do not know anyone who has literally hype's on this amplifier, while I know a lot of users of Chord Hugo TT2, Viva 845, Auris HA2, Topping DX, Questyle CMA, Mojo, Matrix audio, Lehmann ...

The T1.2 is a complex headphone, it should perhaps not be approached as an analytical flagship but simply as a versatile tool. As far as I am concerned, it will be my luxury multimedia headphone and not a purely musical tool.
I also have 1770, 1990 & T1.2 (Black). I think they make a perfect trio, to cover all genres, and uses.
The T1.2 does require a fair bit of power compared to 1770 & 1990, but my TT2 has no problem driving them. I can recommend this combo.

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #3,128 of 3,924
I probably should clarify, the reason I was using the McIntosh MHA150 is because that was the amp/dac provided to use for all the headphones in the shop that I was demoing. They had various Focal products as well as Audeze. What's weird to me is why my Desktop is doing a better job of bringing out the best out of my T1.2's compared to other solid state amps I've used to power it (all of those solid states are capable of driving 600 ohm headphones btw). I use solid states because I consider those to be a more neutral base to listen to headphones off of. Do the others in this thread with the T1.2 get that painful metallic hue with the drums in the song I posted above around the 27s mark? I just think it's a flaw in a headphone if you're having to buy a specific amp just to get a flagship to "sound right". In this case, "sound right" means to tame the "s" sibilance that the 2nd gen was supposed to address, give the bass region better impact which still remaining clean. The midrange is debatable since that's probably how they intended to voice it even though that bump slightly muffles the overall sound of these headphones which is a shame. With all that said, I'm willing to give the amps you guys are using a try to see how they'll pair with the T1.2.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #3,129 of 3,924
I see some of you own T1.2 black, may I ask is there any different with silver one?
I am thinking to get one, I kind of like silver look, the reason I can think of to get
black one is, it must be manufactured more recent.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #3,130 of 3,924
I see some of you own T1.2 black, may I ask is there any different with silver one?
I am thinking to get one, I kind of like silver look, the reason I can think of to get
black one is, it must be manufactured more recent.
I’ve had both. They sound exactly the same. The only difference is the finish.

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #3,132 of 3,924
I got one final question before I gonna make a decision and of course also out of curiousity because of the efficiency. Can any proud owner of the T1.2 confirm if a phone or any other portable device is able to drive this headphone without using dac/amp?

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3,133 of 3,924
No. It's 600 ohms. I use an ES100 Bluetooth amp with my lg v30 though

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #3,134 of 3,924
No. It's 600 ohms. I use an ES100 Bluetooth amp with my lg v30 though
That's a very handy thing! Been finding the name for that as I have seen that in other topics but didn't want to post off-topic. How is the battery life when charged fully? Worth it?

I guess I better go for its brother then.

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #3,135 of 3,924
Good battery life. Maybe 12 to 14 hours. Definitely worth it! Get a cable with 2.5mm and you can use the T1 portably balanced

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back