New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Mar 11, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #2,416 of 3,924
I've been tempted many times to buy the T1.2 but various reviews and frequency response charts scare me off - yet they do have their fans.

My current phones of choice:
Sennheiser HD800S, HD650/600/580
Focal Elear
Beyerdynamic Amiron, DT880 250 Ohm (occasionally)

With this taste in headphones do you think I'd enjoy the T1.2, and are they different enough to warrant owning them?

I tend to me somewhat sensitive to treble, yet I'm ok with the DT880.
The T1.2’s are very different to the HD800 sound signature. The mids are very much more pronounced with the T1.2’s. Just because you like the HD800/S, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll get on with the Beyers.
I think the T1.2’s are a bit like Marmite. You’ll either love ‘em or hate ‘em! :wink:

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,418 of 3,924
A tempted deal, I cannot decide to get it or mr speakers Aeon, since Aeon is highly praised and is $100 more.
Any has both care to chim in.
I've got Aeon closed, yet, I'm tempted by the deal. I'm interested in the T1's brighter sound signature and closer to transportable design over the Aeon's. It gets chilly in Canada, and even in mild beanie weather the Aeon's are no good as they require a good seal to produce their sound.

Long story short, if you want a brighter sound sig, the T1's are (probably) the way to go. Closed Aeon's are neutral while the open variant is warmer.

I'll be taking my Aeon's to A/B when I do audition a pair of T1's though.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,419 of 3,924
I would also suggest that people look into the Pioneer SE Monitor 5. I am extremely pleased with everything about this headphone and while it is large for a true on the go portable, it certainly could be used as such if somebody was so inclined. I'm not sure what the best price somebody could get on the Monitor 5, but for those looking into a closed dynamic around 1K it really deserves to be in the conversation. I know after selling my Sony Z1R due to financial constraints when I replaced it with the Monitor 5 I was expecting to feel happy, but let down, and while the Z1R is a stunning headphone for different reasons, the Monitor 5 really has delivered and I am extremely glad that I took the chance to pick it up.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,420 of 3,924
So I have listened to a test sample of T1.2 which had maybe 25h on the clock. I do not have comparison to T1.1 but I do love them. Unfortunately I also find treble to be too much for me at 25h. Do they respond well to burn-in?

I do not find treble to be too aggressive on any particular high notes but after 30 - 45 minutes of listening I feel treble fatigue. This slight pressure / pain inside the ear which is very characteristic for treble problems :) with gear.

Damn I really like those but do not know about the treble... :frowning2:

Any advice welcomed. They are paired ATM with Gustard H10 with Burson V6 Vivid op amps (about 200h on the clock so those are near mature state).

Did any of us had a chance to compare any of T1 to Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open / Closed?

Incredible advice so far from you guys. Many thanks for that!

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #2,421 of 3,924
I have an early serial number T1.1 and I have demoed (and purchased) several other headphones but ultimately I always come back to the T1 as I have not found a headphone that clearly outclasses it. I have tried an Elear, Utopia, HE2k, LCD2C, Nighthawk, HD660S and K701. None have stayed. I do have an Audeze Mobius in order to have a wireless on hand. The T1 has its flaws but overall it’s a great headphone.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,422 of 3,924
I recently purchased the T1 v2 in my continuing search for a good headphone that costs less than a new car. I had tried the Sennheiser HD-800s earlier this year and found them to be uncomfortable with some treble portions on some music. I find that the Beyerdynamic doesn't have that problem for me understanding that no two people experience sound in the exact same way. That is my present solution now who knows in six months.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2,423 of 3,924
I do not find them treble hot......actually to me they are an easy, neutral to ever so slight warm listen. @sebna - if you are finding them too pronounced up top, I'd try a closed back design. Like you mentioned-the Aeon.......

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #2,424 of 3,924
I do not find them treble hot......actually to me they are an easy, neutral to ever so slight warm listen. @sebna - if you are finding them too pronounced up top, I'd try a closed back design. Like you mentioned-the Aeon.......
Or perhaps a different amp... warm OTL tube amp would be my pick.

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #2,426 of 3,924
T1 2nd gen Black Edition on buydig.com right now for $699.
Bite the bullet and ordered these after selling my T5P 2nd gen’s. Great price for what I hope to be a slight upgrade in sound over the T5P’s.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,428 of 3,924
Also decide in favour of T1.2. IMHO those are much better then Pandora / Sonorous VI to which I was comparing. Slightly lower resolution and worse HF reproduction then Pandoras but more universal and better in every other regard set of HPs.

Also easier to drive once you have some decent AMP then picky Pandora's (due to low impedance)

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #2,430 of 3,924
Although looking at your HP inventory, I'm not so sure how they will fit in amongst those other TOTLs.
I like the Beyer sound and these are limited edition. I'm thinking they'll fit in somewhere in between the Klipsch HP-3's and my HD800S's from a sound perspective. We'll see.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back