New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jun 4, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #1,456 of 3,911

This is new to me. Is what you're saying based on own experience or repeatedly mentioned somewhere?

It's been going around for a while amongst T1 Gen 1 owners. I've spent quite a while researching the various iterations of T1 through the serial numbers, and there is definitely solid evidence that the product is being updated both physically and sonically though its lifetime.  As far as I can tell, my S/N T1 is definitely better sounding than the older S/N (around 4000 iirc) that I had the opportunity to use for various purchase auditions.  

Interesting. I must say I never delved deep into the T1 thread or outside HF. This ''evidence'' of sonic changes is described by numerous posters in that thread I take it?

Could you also very briefly sum up the changes physically and sonically?

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,457 of 3,911
I remember the discussion about the differences, when looking for my pair of my T1 (gen1) I believe there was a general consensus in that the earliest versions were excellent like @borrego said. My pair is #1677 and after auditioning them via the trading club (http://www.head-fi.org/t/765079/european-headphone-temporary-trading-club-wanna-try-cans-for-almost-nothing-read-the-first-post) it has convinced @Moriez to buy a pair :wink:

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #1,458 of 3,911
  Is it normal that almost no headphone has a perfect match in frequency response? Because I can hear it on almost every headphone, but on the other hand I almost never hear somebody else talk about it. 
My first T1.2 had an audible difference, the right side sounded louder on some higher frequencies and had more sibilance. I got a new one, even though they said it was within the specifications. This one is better but still one side is a bit louder, on movies voices come a bit more from the left.
I listened to other headphones in stores, and they sounded imbalanced too. I had the same problem with my previous sennheiser hd700: both times. 

So I guess it's normal? Part of the reason I sold my sennheiser hd700's was because of the imbalance. But it's always there with headphones. And not just one side, so it's not my hearing or equipment. 

When I first got V-Moda, I also believed that there was a mismatch...I think it is possible that you've either been very unlucky with consistent driver mismatches, or very sensitive ears (good thing!)  However, I would give it about a week to see if it settles in at all.  The T1 has great potential for imaging and panning, which may contribute to the sense that things aren't "balanced".

Interesting. I must say I never delved deep into the T1 thread or outside HF. This ''evidence'' of sonic changes is described by numerous posters in that thread I take it?

Could you also very briefly sum up the changes physically and sonically?

Hmm I remember writing up a short summary  somewhere let me find it haha.

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #1,459 of 3,911
I remember the discussion about the differences, when looking for my pair of my T1 (gen1) I believe there was a general consensus in that the earliest versions were excellent like @borrego said. My pair is #1677 and after auditioning them via the trading club (http://www.head-fi.org/t/765079/european-headphone-temporary-trading-club-wanna-try-cans-for-almost-nothing-read-the-first-post) it has convinced @Moriez to buy a pair
wink.gif

The plot thickens 
biggrin.gif

It's that I just sold a #2xxx serial which as far as open headphones goes I've liked best so far. Makes me curious how the various serials are said to differ.

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #1,460 of 3,911
  Is it normal that almost no headphone has a perfect match in frequency response? Because I can hear it on almost every headphone, but on the other hand I almost never hear somebody else talk about it. 
My first T1.2 had an audible difference, the right side sounded louder on some higher frequencies and had more sibilance. I got a new one, even though they said it was within the specifications. This one is better but still one side is a bit louder, on movies voices come a bit more from the left.
I listened to other headphones in stores, and they sounded imbalanced too. I had the same problem with my previous sennheiser hd700: both times. 

So I guess it's normal? Part of the reason I sold my sennheiser hd700's was because of the imbalance. But it's always there with headphones. And not just one side, so it's not my hearing or equipment. 

There is normally some channel imbalance, but it isnt supposed to be dicernible to the naked ear, which is why no one talks about it. Congrats you have super hearing!
BTW How does Quick Silver take out 6 guys with in the span of a second (maybe less) while listening to a 2:30 minute song played in realtime through his earphones?

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,461 of 3,911

Best you can do is measure them.

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,462 of 3,911

Have you considered that it actually could be your hearing which is imbalanced ? I heard the same thing, imbalance in several headphones, but realized later on that I was the problem. There is many free audio test apps out there, worth a try. Keep in mind that we all have some difference between our L&R hearing,  one side being more sensitive to some frequencies. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,463 of 3,911
I had the T1.2 measured and it did show a 4db difference in the 10khz. I don't think it's my hearing, since one friend of mine heard the same thing as me with three of my headphones.
Anyway, I'm selling the T1.2, so not a problem anymore :wink: 

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #1,464 of 3,911
  I had the T1.2 measured and it did show a 4db difference in the 10khz. I don't think it's my hearing, since one friend of mine heard the same thing as me with three of my headphones.
Anyway, I'm selling the T1.2, so not a problem anymore :wink: 

What about the rest of the spectrum?
It would be nice if you could share the measurements, and more so if you can add a bit of information regarding the measurement rig.

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,465 of 3,911

It was measured only once and with professional equipment. I measured them at a company that makes headphones, hence they had very expensive equipment. It has a maximum error of 0.01db if I remember correct? It had a fake ear, but nog a fake head to place the headphone on. 
The man that worked there and was so kind to measure them for me said, if I remember correctly, that the peak a bit below 10khz is in the product, and everything above 10khz is more dependent of the placement. But overall he said they were matched pretty well.

With the headphone the right sounded a bit louder in the higher frequencies and had more sibilance. I also heard that the left side was a bit louder on the highest frequencies. You to judge if you see it back in the measurements. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #1,467 of 3,911

It was measured only once and with professional equipment. I measured them at a company that makes headphones, hence they had very expensive equipment. It has a maximum error of 0.01db if I remember correct? It had a fake ear, but nog a fake head to place the headphone on. 
The man that worked there and was so kind to measure them for me said, if I remember correctly, that the peak a bit below 10khz is in the product, and everything above 10khz is more dependent of the placement. But overall he said they were matched pretty well.

With the headphone the right sounded a bit louder in the higher frequencies and had more sibilance. I also heard that the left side was a bit louder on the highest frequencies. You to judge if you see it back in the measurements. 

Thanks for sharing!
It's the same headphone in both graphs?

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #1,468 of 3,911
Hi gents,

I think I find a new approach to make T1 even better ever before. If you use PC system as source to run your T1, you should really look at this setup.

PC- Curious cable - Intona USB isolator -- Sbooster Vbus2 -- Curious USB Cable -- Uptone Regen (powered by Sbooster BOTW linear power supply 6V) -- Sbooster Vbus2 -- Curious usb cable -- Arcam irDAC (powered by Sbooster BOTW linear power supply 12V)  - Atlas Equator MKIII Integra RCA cable - - Lehmann linear amplifier -- T1 2nd gerantion. #

The addition of Uptone regen (£140)  and Intona USB isolator (£200) really improve the DAC performance to a new level plus powered by linear power supply (£200 per unit), it just has no compromise to this setup. I think the final result in terms of music tonality, is even better using Chord 2Qute alone without any of these. Of course, If i replace the ARCAM irdac with 2Qute, it will be an ultimate killer.

Last but not least, to anyone who believes USB cable will make sound different, the addition of Curious USB cable (£230 for 0.8 m), will tame the brightness and harshness of T1 2nd especially listen to EDM (might be an alternative for using Tube amplifier to darken the brightness). In general, the music is more fluid, smooth, and analogue. It is significantly different acoustically. 

The T1 with this system right now is something similar to the experience I listened to HIFIMAN HE1000 from the exhibition. But I won't say it's better or equal to HE1000, because it was just a trail listening, but the changed tonality of T1 right now really reminds me of HE1000.

So, I'm super satisfied right now.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,469 of 3,911
That is one complicated system, but I can well imagine what you did there. I am using a DC battery to power my DAC, still looking for a decent LPS for a reasonable price. I don't have expensive USB cable or the isolator. Can you please post the links to the products? That would be great. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #1,470 of 3,911
  That is one complicated system, but I can well imagine what you did there. I am using a DC battery to power my DAC, still looking for a decent LPS for a reasonable price. I don't have expensive USB cable or the isolator. Can you please post the links to the products? That would be great. 

No problem,

Uptone Regen: http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

Intona USB isolator : http://intona.eu/en/products

Curious cable: http://www.curiouscables.com/

Sbooster liner power supply and Vbus isolator: https://www.sbooster.com/

Signal regenerator and reclockor is really a new trend yet big improvement since late 2015 but not many people pay attention while curious cable costs quite a lot as USB cable but really does the job and it's not placebo effect, and Sbooster linear supply is just an ace power supply agreed universally.

Hope my setup helps you to explore further.

gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back