New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jan 8, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #948 of 3,924
Would the new T1v2 be a step up from Senn.650s now that they're warmer and less bright? I would like to retain the warmth and fullness of the 650s but with added detail.I have the most recent 650,using a 2Qute and a very good amplifier.Thanks!

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #950 of 3,924
Good enough.

Lol, I guess some terms we use in the English world don't really translate....sorry fellas. 
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #951 of 3,924
  Would the new T1v2 be a step up from Senn.650s now that they're warmer and less bright? I would like to retain the warmth and fullness of the 650s but with added detail.I have the most recent 650,using a 2Qute and a very good amplifier.Thanks!

Yes, IMO...but the HD650s are still warmer.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #952 of 3,924
Just broke out my Vali and connected it to my T1.2s. Gotta give this little amp that could credit. A great pairing. Plenty of body, dynamic range and swing w/enough low end punch to do this album justice. Electronic junkies give this a listen.

Jan 9, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #954 of 3,924
OK

At long last I have some observations to offer regarding the Sennheiser HD-800, Beyerdynamic T1 ver. 2, and unexpectedly, the Beyerdynamic T1 original...

The Beyerdynamic originals were shipped to me by mistake, and our original auditions were performed with those BELIEVING that they were ver. 2s.  ( didn't watch videos about them until afterwards as I didn't want to have preconceptions colouring our judgements.  But afterwards, I saw that the headphone cables weren't removable, so called the vendor, who next-day'ed the version 2 direct from Beyerdynamic without question.  (Good service for a product shipping mis-step.)

So again, with the round-after round auditions, but this time with the ACTUAL version 2 Beyerdynamics.

No need to drag it out.  With our Schiit Audio ASGARD 2, iFi Micro iDSD, and iFi Micro CAN amps; the breakdown was with very little variation

1. T1 & HD-800 neck & neck with almost every music track, DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, FLAC 44.1, or MP3
  2. The HD-650s came in noticeably "second" to the HD-800 & T1 in all genres except blues or old-time 60s-80s "funk"  Think "Brothers Johnson" or "Funkadelic"

When the T1 2nd versions finally arrived, they just sounded as good as the 1st versions right out of the box.  After some burn-in, I went back and re-auditioned everything.

The 2nd version is VERY close to the 1st version.  I wouldn't say that they are "Sonically" different from each other.  At most, I'd say that the version 2s have the same characteristics, but the "jaggedness" of the upper end is smoothed a bit, but not lost.  The mids remain largely identical, and the bass is VERY close, but on certain tracks (Think Plant Ps' "Why Me" or Holst's "Mars The God of War") 

So in the end, for our household (STOCK); the Beyerdynamic T1 version 2 (Or even originals) are the best all-rounders.

The HD-800 are VERY nice!  Close/neck&neck with the T1s.  If you are interested in spending more to "Tube roll", modify headphones, or buy multi-thousand dollar amps in eternal pursuit of "The perfect sound", then I would not argue against claims that the HD-800 simply scales-up to even greater heights.  IT IS an incredible headphone, and has a noticeably "larger" soundstage.  But for us simple folk, who just want to plug-in and listen to incredible music from just about anything, the T1 (Either version) wins hands-down.

Audition List:
Windows 10 64-bit
FOOBAR2000 ver 1.3.5 (Flat Audio Profiles) / JRIVER Media Center 21  (Flat Audio Profiles)  All DSP enhancements "OFF"
iFi Micro iDSD USB DAC / FIIO e17 USB DAC
iFi Micro iDSD AMP / FIIO e17 AMP / iFi Micro iCAN AMP / SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2 AMP

Music Files:
192kHz 24-Bit FLAC
DSD 2.8MHz 1 Bit DSF
44.1 16-Bit FLAC
Old, 8-Bit MP3

Bands:
YES
Van Morrison
Thelonious Monk
The Mood Blues
The Eagles
The Alan Parsons Project
Tesla
Simon & Garfunkle
Rush
Roger Waters
Ravel
Rachmaninov
Queen
Planet "P"
Pink Floyd
Peter Gabriel
Mozart
Michael Jackson
Miles Davis
Meatloaf
Metallica
Lionel Richie
Linked Horizon (Outstanding Fusion Mixture)
Kitaro
John Denver
Holst
Hayden
Hans Zimmer
Genesis
Funkadelic
Eric Clapton
Eddy Grant
Deep Purple
Daft Punk
Chesky Records (Ult. Demo Disc)
Billy Joel
Beethoven
Asia
Arturo Sandoval
AC/DC

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #955 of 3,924
  OK

At long last I have some observations to offer regarding the Sennheiser HD-800, Beyerdynamic T1 ver. 2, and unexpectedly, the Beyerdynamic T1 original...

The Beyerdynamic originals were shipped to me by mistake, and our original auditions were performed with those BELIEVING that they were ver. 2s.  ( didn't watch videos about them until afterwards as I didn't want to have preconceptions colouring our judgements.  But afterwards, I saw that the headphone cables weren't removable, so called the vendor, who next-day'ed the version 2 direct from Beyerdynamic without question.  (Good service for a product shipping mis-step.)

So again, with the round-after round auditions, but this time with the ACTUAL version 2 Beyerdynamics.

No need to drag it out.  With our Schiit Audio ASGARD 2, iFi Micro iDSD, and iFi Micro CAN amps; the breakdown was with very little variation

1. T1 & HD-800 neck & neck with almost every music track, DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, FLAC 44.1, or MP3
  2. The HD-650s came in noticeably "second" to the HD-800 & T1 in all genres except blues or old-time 60s-80s "funk"  Think "Brothers Johnson" or "Funkadelic"

When the T1 2nd versions finally arrived, they just sounded as good as the 1st versions right out of the box.  After some burn-in, I went back and re-auditioned everything.

The 2nd version is VERY close to the 1st version.  I wouldn't say that they are "Sonically" different from each other.  At most, I'd say that the version 2s have the same characteristics, but the "jaggedness" of the upper end is smoothed a bit, but not lost.  The mids remain largely identical, and the bass is VERY close, but on certain tracks (Think Plant Ps' "Why Me" or Holst's "Mars The God of War") 

So in the end, for our household (STOCK); the Beyerdynamic T1 version 2 (Or even originals) are the best all-rounders.

The HD-800 are VERY nice!  Close/neck&neck with the T1s.  If you are interested in spending more to "Tube roll", modify headphones, or buy multi-thousand dollar amps in eternal pursuit of "The perfect sound", then I would not argue against claims that the HD-800 simply scales-up to even greater heights.  IT IS an incredible headphone, and has a noticeably "larger" soundstage.  But for us simple folk, who just want to plug-in and listen to incredible music from just about anything, the T1 (Either version) wins hands-down.

Audition List:
Windows 10 64-bit
FOOBAR2000 ver 1.3.5 (Flat Audio Profiles) / JRIVER Media Center 21  (Flat Audio Profiles)  All DSP enhancements "OFF"
iFi Micro iDSD USB DAC / FIIO e17 USB DAC
iFi Micro iDSD AMP / FIIO e17 AMP / iFi Micro iCAN AMP / SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2 AMP

Music Files:
192kHz 24-Bit FLAC
DSD 2.8MHz 1 Bit DSF
44.1 16-Bit FLAC
Old, 8-Bit MP3

Bands:
YES
Van Morrison
Thelonious Monk
The Mood Blues
The Eagles
The Alan Parsons Project
Tesla
Simon & Garfunkle
Rush
Roger Waters
Ravel
Rachmaninov
Queen
Planet "P"
Pink Floyd
Peter Gabriel
Mozart
Michael Jackson
Miles Davis
Meatloaf
Metallica
Lionel Richie
Linked Horizon (Outstanding Fusion Mixture)
Kitaro
John Denver
Holst
Hayden
Hans Zimmer
Genesis
Funkadelic
Eric Clapton
Eddy Grant
Deep Purple
Daft Punk
Chesky Records (Ult. Demo Disc)
Billy Joel
Beethoven
Asia
Arturo Sandoval
AC/DC

Good text, but I can't agree that T1 is that similar to T1V2 :) To me differences in sound are more significant. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #956 of 3,924
How would you compare the T1.2 to the DT150? I think the DT150 is one of the best buys in headphones, with the only drawback being that its imaging suffers slighly from being a closed headphone. The detail and 3D sound it renders, plus the cristal clear highs, without fatigue is pretty amazing for its price tag.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #957 of 3,924
  How would you compare the T1.2 to the DT150? I think the DT150 is one of the best buys in headphones, with the only drawback being that its imaging suffers slighly from being a closed headphone. The detail and 3D sound it renders, plus the cristal clear highs, without fatigue is pretty amazing for its price tag.

The soundstage of DT150 is exceptionally good for closed headphones. While yu hear DT150 it is more like musical studio while the T1 can be as wide and huge as big hall.
DT150 is still in my arsenal. I like them very much, and couldn't find succesor for a long time. But T1 is more hi-endish:) More balanced, plays music with much ease, better clarity, better dynamics, better imaging. Of course not 5 times better as price suggest. But about 30% overall, and also a better comfort and perfect finish.
T1 is not exactly brighter headphone than DT150, T1 has just more 'luminance'. T1 is smoother while DT150 is more harsh but hides this little harsh by a deeps in freqency range.

I think you will not go back to DT150 after few days with T1. These need a bit of accustom to them. But are great and worth its price. But do not forget about the rest of the gear. I use full tube stage dac and well made SS ( a tad darker sounding).

Jan 11, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #958 of 3,924
Good text, but I can't agree that T1 is that similar to T1V2 :) To me differences in sound are more significant. 

Fair enough Synthax! :D

More than anything else, I was really skeptical that anything would sound clearly-better than my HD-650s. Even my wife was surprised. Without any prompting from me, she went back after we were done and grabbed some JVC HA-M55Xs just to confirm the difference she hears in "knock-a-rounds". Even the AKG-K550/K545s that we have sounded, in comparison "Dingey", as she put it. LOL

But when she put the HD-650s back on after the others, she smiled and said that she can still tell that these were "miles better", but still really liked the K-545s for pop & rock music.

Then I let her listen out of her iPhone 5, and she was impressed again by the T1 ver 2, as it STILL sounded clearly better than anything else! (Now I'll have to hide them, or buy her her own pair...)

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #959 of 3,924
(Now I'll have to hide them, or buy her her own pair...)

You could be off much worse... she might have fallen in love with any Abyss :wink:

Its always interesting to hear comments by people that are not impressed by technicalities but judge purely by enjoyment of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back