New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #2,296 of 3,924
The mojo is portable, but has plenty of power for most headphones, including the T1. How much power do you suggest for the T1s?

The Mojo will likely have sufficient gain, as a lot of portable amps do (Shanling H1 can get loud enough with the Hifiman HE-6, does not mean it drives them well).

The mojo outputs 35mW @ 600 Ohm, the Beyer amp made for the T1 outputs 100mW @ 600 Ohms.

It's also about synergy, I don't think the Mojo has the best synergy, and as with the HE-6 it can get loud out of my Topping A30, but sounds considerably better when it is powered by a more powerful amp, the same with the T1.

The issue with high impedance is they need an amp that can provide good voltage, and portable devices have batteries which are better at providing high current but not good at handling the voltage swings of a 600 Ohm headphone like a desktop amp can.

This means it cannot control the driver as well.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #2,297 of 3,924
The Mojo will likely have sufficient gain, as a lot of portable amps do (Shanling H1 can get loud enough with the Hifiman HE-6, does not mean it drives them well).

The mojo outputs 35mW @ 600 Ohm, the Beyer amp made for the T1 outputs 100mW @ 600 Ohms.

It's also about synergy, I don't think the Mojo has the best synergy, and as with the HE-6 it can get loud out of my Topping A30, but sounds considerably better when it is powered by a more powerful amp, the same with the T1.

The issue with high impedance is they need an amp that can provide good voltage, and portable devices have batteries which are better at providing high current but not good at handling the voltage swings of a 600 Ohm headphone like a desktop amp can.

This means it cannot control the driver as well.

The mojo can provide plenty of voltage for the T1. Even if an amp can provide 100mW into 600 ohms, it doesn't mean that you need or will use that much power. The T1s are pretty sensitive, and 2V will drive the them to over 110dB, so you could use a DFR to drive them. The mojo can output over 5V rms, which is plenty for the T1s.

I would say that's it's more about synergy. some people might like the sound of the mojo, but that's a preference. I've got low impedance headphones which don't sound good with the mojo - or I should say that I prefer the sound out of other amps/DACs - The Focal Elear being one example. The output impedance of the amp can have a huge impact on how headphones sound. Beyer amps have an output impedance of 100ohms which will boost the bass of dynamic headphones. The effect is much more subtle with high impedance headphones than with low impedance ones, but this is something you can play around with easily and cheaply.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,298 of 3,924
I got jipped by Amazon. They cancelled the order at the last moment and they said they couldn't fulfill my order at the sale price because the deal had expired. Man. Looks like I won't be listening to this after all. Otherwise I would've posted impressions today.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,299 of 3,924
I got jipped by Amazon. They cancelled the order at the last moment and they said they couldn't fulfill my order at the sale price because the deal had expired. Man. Looks like I won't be listening to this after all. Otherwise I would've posted impressions today.
That's bad. Amazon are usually pretty good with things like that and won't let you order if the deal has expired. I noticed you list the T1 and mojo in you inventory so did you jump the gun :) Was this from the UK or US?

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #2,300 of 3,924
I have 9 amps, the Schitt Vahalla 2 and Bottlehead Crack w/speedball are the best with the T1's.....the V2 has 450mw RMS at 600ohms for each channel..more than enough for them.
Absolutely stunning combination.
Alex

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,301 of 3,924
I disagree about the Mojo not driving the T1 well enough. And this is from personal experience. I can tell you the Mojo doesn't just drive the T1 "loud", as some people who just pass on hearsay. I used my T5p.2 as a reference, driven by the same Mojo (with volume matched) and the result is the T1.2 not only matched the T5p.2 in performance, but sounded more open and lively. The Mojo still had plenty more to go and can drive the T1.2 to ear bleeding levels without distortion. I tried inserting a desktop amp in between the Mojo and T1.2 (just to see how true those "you really need a desktop amp for the T1.2" claims are) but I lost quite a bit of transparency and only gained coloration to the sound. I just couldn't see how the desktop amps drove the T1.2 in ways the Mojo alone can't.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,302 of 3,924
That's bad. Amazon are usually pretty good with things like that and won't let you order if the deal has expired. I noticed you list the T1 and mojo in you inventory so did you jump the gun :) Was this from the UK or US?

It was the US. I jumped the gun, haha. I ended up re-evaluating the listening environment and realized that a good set of closed-back headphones would better suit me. I purchased some MrSpeakers Aeon's from someone else here on the forum. Looking forward to them!

Cheers to everyone who's been listening to the Beyerdynamic T1. I'm sure it's a lovely headphone!!!

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2,304 of 3,924
Hey Guys
I'm currently using Chord Mojo with my smartphone but it's a pain to use them outdoors. I was wondering if I should sell the Mojo and get an AK300.
I use Shure's SE846 and Beyerdynamic AK T1p (32 ohms).
or is it better to keep the mojo and buy an AK70? what's the SQ difference between AK70, AK300 and Mojo?

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #2,305 of 3,924
Hey Guys
I'm currently using Chord Mojo with my smartphone but it's a pain to use them outdoors. I was wondering if I should sell the Mojo and get an AK300.
or is it better to keep the mojo and buy an AK70? what's the SQ difference between AK70, AK300 and Mojo?

Erm, maybe ask in the AK thread? Not sure you'll get the answer your looking for here

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,306 of 3,924
Hey Guys
I haven't heard the AK300, but I had a brief listen to the AK70 and wasn't impressed. Have you thought about the Beyerdynamic Impacto essential? It's designed for theT1.2 and T5p.2:

https://north-america.beyerdynamic....ital-analog-converter-in-headphone-cable.html

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #2,307 of 3,924
Any T1 G2 owner like to offer some advice on the weight distribution of these cans? I had the T90 before, sold it because I thought it was quite weighty and press down on my spine somewhat. I have health issues and cannot use heavy phones for long listening session. I should have dismissed T1 but I recently have a chance to have tried the DT1990 pro, and found they are more comfortable than the T90. Maybe that has to do with DT1990 pro are open phones and less weighty with the cups than the T90. I just wonder if I should go up to T1 G2.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #2,308 of 3,924
Any T1 G2 owner like to offer some advice on the weight distribution of these cans? I had the T90 before, sold it because I thought it was quite weighty and press down on my spine somewhat. I have health issues and cannot use heavy phones for long listening session. I should have dismissed T1 but I recently have a chance to have tried the DT1990 pro, and found they are more comfortable than the T90. Maybe that has to do with DT1990 pro are open phones and less weighty with the cups than the T90. I just wonder if I should go up to T1 G2.

It's probably the better weight distribution of the DT 1990 you like more as it's the heaviest of the Tesla Beyers it's fit is completely different than the other Tesla Beyers(except the DT 1770) which all fit fairly similar based on my ownership of the Amiron and T1.2 which have similar headband fit and a similar light clamping pressure, earcups are deeper and more comfortable on the T1 though. The Amiron is lighter in both headphone and cable though. The DT 1990(370g no cable) is 20g heavier than the T90(350g no cable). The Amiron Home is the lightest at 340g(without cable plus it has the lightest cable of the bunch). The T1 G2 is 360g no cable. The lighter clamping force I found does put more weight at the very top of the head on the T1.2 and Amiron which may of been the problem you had on the T90. The DT 1990 disperses the weight better with imho a better designed headband shape and stronger champ. As comfortable as I find the T1 and Amiron are, the DT 1990 was the most comfortable to me.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #2,309 of 3,924
My experience with the T1.2 is, it is very comfortable to wear, but you have to adjust the shape of the headband in order to get the best fit. This affects the pressure on the top of your head as well as the clamping force. Initially when my new T1.2 came, I was getting discomfort because the headband was resting on a narrow spot on top of my head. After bending the headband into a more inverted "U" shape, the headband now conforms better to my head and sits more comfortably with the pressure more evenly spread along the top of my head. Just use appropriate force to press the headband more together into a "U" shape and check how close the top of the ear cups are apart from each other when the headphone is resting as a measure. The headband is made of metal so don't be afraid to make adjustment and don't worry about breaking it - of course use common sense and adjust a tiny amount each time. Pressing the headband into a more "U" shape also affects the clamping force, so please do with caution if you dislike too much clamping force.

Finally, after you use the headphones for a while and repeatedly wearing and taking off, the headband will gradually lose their best shape and periodically you'll have to re-adjust them to maintain maximum comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back