New Beyerdynamic amp A2
Oct 22, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #61 of 259

Would low impedance mean 32ohm?
I have T70p which is 32ohm what would plugging that into a 100ohm output mean?

In general Beyer voices their headphones to a 100Ohm output impedance as defined by some ISO norm, so with anything Beyer you should be fine.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #62 of 259

In general Beyer voices their headphones to a 100Ohm output impedance as defined by some ISO norm, so with anything Beyer you should be fine.

Ok thanks for the info. I'll give the A2 a shot. I'll be matching them with my T70p, T90 and T1 2.gen I hope theres large enough improvement over my HA-501.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #63 of 259
Now that I have the A2 (fast Amazon shipping!). I'm really surprised at how small it is. The pictures make it look as big as the HA-501 but it's more like the UD-H01. How how does the power output work? Its 100w at 600ohm but the HA-501 is 135w at 600ohm yet the A2 is noticeably louder. I'm unable to discern which one is better yet though...theres definetly not a night and day difference. One thing I do know is that the T1 with both of these amps requires exceptionally good recordings.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #64 of 259
  Now that I have the A2 (fast Amazon shipping!). I'm really surprised at how small it is. The pictures make it look as big as the HA-501 but it's more like the UD-H01. How how does the power output work? Its 100w at 600ohm but the HA-501 is 135w at 600ohm yet the A2 is noticeably louder. I'm unable to discern which one is better yet though...theres definetly not a night and day difference. One thing I do know is that the T1 with both of these amps requires exceptionally good recordings.

OK, die difference between 100mW and 135mW is negligible... 100 vs. 200 would mean 3dB, which is just a noticeable difference.
Did you switch your A2 to 100Ohm output impedance (the switch is at the bottom of the device)?

I would have been surprised if there had been a night and day difference, Teac is a reputable manufacturer with years of experience building studio equipment. They know how to build a clean amp for sure.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #65 of 259
What is an appropriate Gain setting for the T1 2.gen? Are they effecient enought to remain at 0, or +6db?

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #67 of 259
Depends on your listening level of course, but I for one saw no reason to change gain from the default setting to have my preferred listening level with the volume pot between 10 and 12 o'clock

Yeah I use mine in those positions also. I use a sound level meter to aprox volume peaking at 85db spl with my loudess music. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #68 of 259
Hello everyone,

After spending many hours reading pages after pages of useful information and discussions regarding the T1 headphones, I decided to make an account and ask the head-fi community for some recommendations.

I have ordered the T1 2nd generation headphones (here in Geneva they cost 699 chf 1:1 usd) but I don't really know what kind of amplification I should go for.

From this thread and also the old T1 1st gen. thread the 2nd gen headset has mitigated the high treble. Should I be following the communities recommendations for tube amplification or go for a2 or a20 amplifiers from beyerdynamic?

I plan to listen music from my computer through my asus essence stx iii.

I listen to rock / metal / alternative rock / classic / rock-metal-instrumental with the occasional soft music while working.

Budget-wise I am near the (1000 chf), but I am more inclined to spend around 500chf as I wouldn't like to spend double the money to go from e.g. 90% quality to 95% quality

cheers!

Nov 5, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #69 of 259
Personally I prefer 
  I have ordered the T1 2nd generation headphones (here in Geneva they cost 699 chf 1:1 usd) but I don't really know what kind of amplification I should go for.

Personally I prefer solid state amps, but in the end its up to you...
If you're going to use the amp with the T1, the one major difference between A2 and A20 (switchable output impedance) does not matter and I'd go with the A20. Excellent amp that is more than adequate for the T1.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #70 of 259
  Hello everyone,

After spending many hours reading pages after pages of useful information and discussions regarding the T1 headphones, I decided to make an account and ask the head-fi community for some recommendations.

From this thread and also the old T1 1st gen. thread the 2nd gen headset has mitigated the high treble. Should I be following the communities recommendations for tube amplification or go for a2 or a20 amplifiers from beyerdynamic?

I plan to listen music from my computer through my asus essence stx iii.

I listen to rock / metal / alternative rock / classic / rock-metal-instrumental with the occasional soft music while working.

Budget-wise I am near the (1000 chf), but I am more inclined to spend around 500chf as I wouldn't like to spend double the money to go from e.g. 90% quality to 95% quality

cheers!

I own the  A2 and the HA-501, both are really good with the T1 2nd gen. When you match the volumes they sound practically identical, but the A2 is capable of getting a little louder. They both get louder than what is safe and comfortable though with most music.
The HA-501 may have better features to consider, such as an AUX input for phones/mp3 players/tablets etc. with 3.5mm jacks as well as XLR inputs, damping factor controls for 16-600ohm headphone support, and disabled,varible, and fixed pre-out controls.
The A2 has a remote which is highly convient, dual headphone outputs, and a headphone stand that attatches to it. The A2 doesn't have to be turned on to use the pre-outs. The A2 is about twice the price of the HA-501 however. I enjoy it, but hesitant to say it's worth the price.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #71 of 259
Thanks for the recommendations plakat and DJ Max!

Actually the price difference between a2 and ha-501 is small (1146 / 1090 chf respectively). So if it comes to that I might pick the beyerdynamic. But still I am not sure I want to spend that much, although I could because it feels like an investment...

Though the a20 at 439chf is very affordable.

still not decided :/

Nov 7, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #72 of 259
I've just submitted my review for publication of the T1 v2 and A2 and I have to say that the combination is truly outstanding! The A 2 (at 100 ohms output impedance) is also a wonderful option for you HD800 owners! 

I think this is one undervalued amplifier and hope more people give it some serious consideration!

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #73 of 259
I've just submitted my review for publication of the T1 v2 and A2 and I have to say that the combination is truly outstanding! The A 2 (at 100 ohms output impedance) is also a wonderful option for you HD800 owners! 

I think this is one undervalued amplifier and hope more people give it some serious consideration!
Looking forward to your review. Maybe A20 can work just as good with both headphones? Whould be interested if somebody tries a20 with Hd800. Many have said that a20 and t1 is a good pairing, but pairing between a20 and hd800 whould be also interesting.

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #74 of 259

My thoughts as well... Its initial asking price was a bit high and that may have let it go unnoticed I think.

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #75 of 259
Looking forward to your review. Maybe A20 can work just as good with both headphones? Whould be interested if somebody tries a20 with Hd800. Many have said that a20 and t1 is a good pairing, but pairing between a20 and hd800 whould be also interesting.

Hard to say, I haven't heard the A20, just the A2 from Beyerdynamics.

My thoughts as well... Its initial asking price was a bit high and that may have let it go unnoticed I think.

Not sure why? Maybe the price, maybe just because Beyerdynamics is better known as a headphone manufacturer? But the A2 is a seriously good amp; especially for the T1 V2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back