New Beyerdynamic amp A2
Mar 3, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #91 of 259
How popular is the A2? I know the A1 was popular but the A20 seems to get more buzz. And I found it odd that you can only get a A2 from non prime 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I wanted to get a Beyerdynamic Amp to match with my Beyerdynamic headphones, T70p, T90, T5p and T1. I considered the A20 at first, but I decided to go with the A2 since I could afford it at the time. But now I'm judging that decision. Other than a remote and the ability to select 0 or 100 ohm output what else is the extra $1000 getting me? Should I sell my A2 and buy a cheaper A20?

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #92 of 259
  How popular is the A2? I know the A1 was popular but the A20 seems to get more buzz. And I found it odd that you can only get a A2 from non prime 3rd party sellers on Amazon. I wanted to get a Beyerdynamic Amp to match with my Beyerdynamic headphones, T70p, T90, T5p and T1. I considered the A20 at first, but I decided to go with the A2 since I could afford it at the time. But now I'm judging that decision. Other than a remote and the ability to select 0 or 100 ohm output what else is the extra $1000 getting me? Should I sell my A2 and buy a cheaper A20?

There's an additional input on the A2 and it features a discrete circuit design, but, aside from the things you already mentioned, thats about it regarding feature differences.
To me the A2 sounds a bit airier, just a touch more treble. I never compared them in depth and I think there's no fundamental difference between two competent SS designs, especially between two amps by the same manufacturer (and yes, I do know some examples of differences, but not of the like you get with tube amps).

The switchable output impedance makes the A2 more versatile, but if you're looking for an amp that nicely complements your Beyerdynamic collection I'd go with the A20. I keep my A2 on 100Ohm btw.

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #93 of 259

I only have the A1 and cans that are and are not Beyers.  When I have looked at the A2, it just doesn't stand up to the features, power, etc. of the competition at its asking price--or even when a demo model is offered (as happened recently) for under $1,000.  The Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Burson Soloist and the Schiit Mjolnir 1 (now at $499) and 2--just for a few examples.

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #94 of 259
A2 is much more detailed, faster, more neutral, bigger soundstage better separation. A20 is good at having big bass body and great mids until upper mids. Weaknesses: it is way too warm to the point that some songs should be on the brighter side sound WARM:rage:, separation and details level is very low, soundstage is very hurt because of very thick bass and lower mids. A2 is better in every way! I don't get why plakat say they both similar? (Maybe different equipment plays big role) for me A2 is more realistic and better sounding than A20 in every way possible. Ofcourse price difference is a bit too big. 1000€ for A2 and 500 for A20 whould be fair. You can read Headphonia review of A2 and you will se e in comments section Lieven saying that he will not pair T90 with an amp that is holding it back(A20) and he said A2 will bring all the potential of T90. I pretty much agree with him.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #95 of 259
A2 is much more detailed, faster, more neutral, bigger soundstage better separation. A20 is good at having big bass body and great mids until upper mids. Weaknesses: it is way too warm to the point that some songs should be on the brighter side sound WARM:rage:, separation and details level is very low, soundstage is very hurt because of very thick bass and lower mids. A2 is better in every way! I don't get why plakat say they both similar? (Maybe different equipment plays big role) for me A2 is more realistic and better sounding than A20 in every way possible. Ofcourse price difference is a bit too big. 1000€ for A2 and 500 for A20 whould be fair. You can read Headphonia review of A2 and you will se e in comments section Lieven saying that he will not pair T90 with an amp that is holding it back(A20) and he said A2 will bring all the potential of T90. I pretty much agree with him.

That's right, and thank you for agreeing :wink: The A20 is a great mid fi amp for making bright headphones a bit softer but it won't bring out the best of your T1 or T90. I however quite like it with my HD650 for relaxed listening/working

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #96 of 259
That's right, and thank you for agreeing :wink: The A20 is a great mid fi amp for making bright headphones a bit softer but it won't bring out the best of your T1 or T90. I however quite like it with my HD650 for relaxed listening/working
I love A20, but only on more romantic, calmer or slower music. Problem is with A20 that rock, metal, pop or other energetic music sound very sloppy and boring. I tried A2 for a bit and it worked with slower or faster music with out a problem. For example: with A2 i can listen all my music, but on A20 i can listen only 40% of my music.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #97 of 259
I love A20, but only on more romantic, calmer or slower music. Problem is with A20 that rock, metal, pop or other energetic music sound very sloppy and boring. I tried A2 for a bit and it worked with slower or faster music with out a problem. For example: with A2 i can listen all my music, but on A20 i can listen only 40% of my music.

But for the price the A2 is going for, it should have had a balanced output :/

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #99 of 259
Sorry to say, but to me these descriptions of differences are greatly exaggerated. I agree that a sensible price point for the A2 would be around 1k, that would fit my impressions mentioned above: 500,- gets you a very competent (although unfortunately not that universal) amp and double that gets you an amp with some additional features and a bit more refined, cleaner sound. But its 3x...

And as much as I like the A2, when moving up from the A20 I'd rather recommend the Violectric V200 over the A2 if budget is of any concern.

I don't agree about balanced, though. To me balanced is in most cases simply not worth it outside of the domain of really power hungry headphones like orthodynamics (with the T1.2 being an interesting exception) while increasing material costs substantially (besides some arguments against that from an electrical engineering standpoint as Chord's Robert Watts elaborated). Up till T1.2 Beyerdynamic themselves did not even offer balanced connections, so why would they take the hassle of building a balanced amp? I talked to them about that btw., and I don't think its going to happen anytime soon.

Beyerdynamic use the A20 for demoing everything except the T1 (which gets an A2). Why would they do that if the A20 would not do e.g. the T90 justice?

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #100 of 259
Probably because a lot of the listeners at the booths would find the treble too hot 
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #102 of 259
  Probably because a lot of the listeners at the booths would find the treble too hot 
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I'm with you on that one... the A20 fits the T90 very well in that regard. Going by the changes the T1 received for its 2. Gen. I'd say the T90 is also up for a rebalancing towards a more mass-compatible voicing. I'm still mourning the original T1 since, to me, the rework took off some of its character, but its definitely more polite and easier to listen to. With the T90 a change would be welcome to me as those are a bit over the top for my taste.

And most of the listeners wont buy amp that is 3x the price of headphones. Ok im a bit exaggerate, but there is the noticable difference.

Yes, there is a difference (like I said in my original post). I just cannot say there's that much difference that I'd recommend to go with the A2 unless money is of no concern. I think you're right, most people will not spend 3x the headphones price on an analog amp.

And yes, the A2 is more versatile than the A20... I've once tested the A20 with the TH900. Actually we were three persons, the two others were Beyer resp. Fostex reps, and we all did not like that combination much, too muddy and overall just not musical. It fits the Beyer midrange well though.

May 11, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #103 of 259
To those who own the Amp. I'm curious what DAC you are pairing it with? I'm using mine with a Teac UD-501.

May 11, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #104 of 259
Hello everyone.

My A2 is plugged directly to my asus essence stx ii. I was low on cash to invest on a good DAC after buying T1 and A2. 

I have to say though that the sound card amp (600ohm setting) is really bad when plugging the T1 headphones directly, compared to the quality of A2.

I would like to know too what kind of DAC I should be looking into when cash is available or if I should be investing at all. I have tried a lot of high quality recordings (voice and soft guitar) and ripped SACDs and I cannot hear any problems or noise.

cheers!

May 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #105 of 259
  To those who own the Amp. I'm curious what DAC you are pairing it with? I'm using mine with a Teac UD-501.

Benchmark DAC2...
But I have to admit that with most headphones I use the headphone amp built into the DAC2, which is really excellent. Just a bit bright for some Beyer models (old T1, T90).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back