New Beyerdynamic amp A2
Sep 6, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #32 of 259
  I have the A2 here for review wand have it hooked up to both the Oppo BDP 105 and alalso the Chord Hugo doing files on the imac form aurdirvana. Sounds excellent 

Looking forward to your opinion... if possible please post a link when the review is ready.

I've taking over this review for Frank. Look for the review to come out towards the end of the month.

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #34 of 259
Just met a bunch of them (plus their smaller brother A20) at IFA and I really hope to see an accompanying DAC one day. A2+T1 is still my favorite combination which I come back to again and again...

@MattTCG I'll keep an eye open for your review. Nice to see that Headphone.guru offers an RSS feed... which I'm missing at Audio360.org (or at least I was unable to find it -- nudge nudge :wink:

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #37 of 259
I still think the A2 is a perfect match for Beyer cans... and I still like it a lot. The V281 I have on order is more for my K812 than the T1 or T90, but I'll have a listen of course. Nevertheless A2+T1 is my most-used combination.
From a technical standpoint I really like its simplicity and its discrete circuit design... I guess the V281 is more versatile (given its in-/output options, its power etc.) and might be the better choice when looking for a single amp for a wide array of headphones.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #38 of 259
  What a nice surprise -- the A1 lost its plastic neck holder and gained a second headphone jack :)

While I could resist the A20 until now I think the A2... will find its way to my home rather sooner than later. I just love discrete designs and am very curious about the adjustment for impedance. At last a Beyer amp with low output impedance (switchable between 0 and 100Ohm), one thing that held me back from purchasing the A20, which, in my opinion, did not play too well with e.g. the TH900, showing the signs of high output impedance connected to low impedance phones, i.e. rather muddy bass.

Is there a separate manual switch to do that or is the switch internal and automatic variable ?

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #40 of 259
Hi, I have the T90 got them this week, I have to say that all the reviews which say they are harsh on the treble are simply not true, well the story is a little more coplex then that!

I started out with straight out of the iPhone 6 and treble, loud beautiful details i have never experienced before but that was just it all treble. So, brought in the HP-P1 that sorted out some of the issue the sound was a little more rounded and the treble took a step back however, not good enough. Something was missing, there must be more to this story, so I walked over to my Yamaha HT amp/receiver and plugged the Iphone to HP-P1 though the optical cable into the Yamaha amp and plugged the T90's into the amp. 3 hours later i realized that I was still sitting on the edge of the coffee table listening. These headphones are hands down some of the best headphones I have heard I was re-listening to my music all over again. 

The HP-P1 is a great DAC neutral sound and just wonderful open relaxed sound stage. The AMP portion of the HP-P1 is simply not enough for the T90’s yes it's loud but not the right sound, totally not recommended! It does a great job on other headphones I own 32 ohms but not for the Beyerdynamic T90’s. These headphones are so misunderstood really all they want is a good AMP. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #42 of 259

Mmmm...it's Feb. and I'm not able to find the review of the A2.

A2 is worth owning.  Pairs incredibly well with Beyer cans and all the IEMs I own.  

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #43 of 259

Mmmm...it's Feb. and I'm not able to find the review of the A2.

A2 is worth owning.  Pairs incredibly well with Beyer cans and all the IEMs I own.  

Thanks--I saw your piece on the A2.  Problem is that it is very expensive and it is head to head with some very fine amps and amp/DACs.  I don't have a need or desire to amp IEM's, but I do have some cans that are 25 Ohms or less.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #44 of 259
There's an A2 review up on Headfonia as well: http://www.headfonia.com/beyerdynamic-a2-reference-amp/
There's so little talk about it on head-fi, I'm surprised

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #45 of 259
  There's an A2 review up on Headfonia as well: http://www.headfonia.com/beyerdynamic-a2-reference-amp/
There's so little talk about it on head-fi, I'm surprised

Me too... I like this amp a lot. But I can understand that its price tag may turn off some people when correlated with the feature list. Soundwise its outstanding though, especially with my now rather extensive collection of Beyerdynamic headphones.

I don't see how Lieven gets to the conclusion that it works as a preamp though. To the best of my knowledge the output RCA connectors are hardwired to input 1, i.e. no gain control. But working even when the A2 is powered off. Did something change since the first run?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back