NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Sep 3, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #46 of 2,077
The h95 sound is similar with sa50, maybe isn't so linear from lower mids to upper treble or maybe is more close than I remember!), but the dips and peaks of the h95, if they're in that part of the frequency, aren't offensive at all. The bass, from my memory of the sa50, is better in the h95, with very little mid bass elevation and definitely better low bass extension. The low/sub bass is very, very good, isn't elevated like momentum 3 at all. All the bass in general is beautiful, clean and deep when is necessary.

So, for my ears the h95 is representing the sounds of music in the complete frequency more correctly than sa50, like a better complete sonic picture.

I am curious if this difference still applies if you use the SA50 in LDAC mode set to the highest bitrate. I personally find the SA50 to perform better in LDAC than in APTX-HD ...
Not sure what quality level the B&O H95 are reaching in terms of the used codec ... Can that be compared with APTX? APTX HD?

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #47 of 2,077
I am curious if this difference still applies if you use the SA50 in LDAC mode set to the highest bitrate. I personally find the SA50 to perform better in LDAC than in APTX-HD ...
Not sure what quality level the B&O H95 are reaching in terms of the used codec ... Can that be compared with APTX? APTX HD?

I don't sure what I must answering.

I have iPhone (aac) and MacBook Pro (with apt-x and aac) and I listening with the 2 devices. With MBP I listen to aac, mp3, flac or wav files and is usually with apt-x.

I see now with h95 that b&o really improving the sound from previous models and attempting making a great headphone, with BT 5,1 and sbc, aac and apt-x adaptive codecs. I asking myself if b&o wanting making 'perfect' product why not including LDAC. Maybe they thinking isn't sufficient important. I can understanding that for marketing LDAC is good option that maybe the must considering for this premium product.

I don't know how much you reading my posts in the past in other threads, but even if I don't having never LDAC I don't believing in hi-res files or very high bit rate giving better audio, except when the original master recording is remastered and improving and is only available in this format (hi-res) but this isn't common.

I don't know either if Android devices and/or different models of mobile phones giving better audio performance using LDAC and/or apt-x/apt-x hd. I comparing the headphones I mentioning always using the same devices (iphone & MBP). Maybe you must waiting for other people buying h95 and giving you more information.

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #48 of 2,077
I writing more posts in last 24 hours than normally: with the initial review, then answering questions and writing more of extra features, but in this thread I'm only owner so this is normal in this moment.

I permitting myself now in this post speaking of my enjoyment of the music with h95, but I must saying first this: I don't believing in hi-res files for better audio, and I don't believing in burn-in. A headphone or earphone is ready after 1 hour or maybe 2, and maybe usually this isn't necessary. I don't believing in 50/100/300+ hours of burn in because my experience is telling me always this isn't real. In my opinion this ideas of burn-in are 100% psychological.

So, the h95 is having fantastic low frequency (bass) reproduction. The elevations in the frequency are in the more correct areas. No mid bass affecting the mids, and beautiful low/sub bass, but never excessive. The drums in 'Stinkfist', for example, by Tool (Aenima album) is sounding powerful and with excellent depth, the drums sounding like covering a good part of the soundstage like is normal in this type of song/music. The bass notes in any track in the h95 is clean, with very, very correct decay, never slow sounding muddy, or too fast that sounding unnatural. This aspect I sometimes missing a little in sa50 and I having putting the volume more high sometimes than I wanting for more correct bass reproduction, but even in that case, low bass isn't going enough deep sometimes.

Like I saying before, maybe the transition of the mids and treble is little more correct in sa50 (I don't 100% sure about this yet), but the treble is never killing my ears with bad terrible peak and isn't dark or warm either, but I think maybe is little less bright than sa50. But I hear more finesse in the high frequencies, the cymbals are having better decay and tonality, more natural than I remember in sa50. But this is again speaking in technical territory.

I don't liking when people saying often something is sounding analogue and not digital, I think this is a cliche. But this is the first time I will saying that what I'm hearing is sounding more natural, less digitised, the instruments sounding more like they sounding in the real world, with not adding extra artificial details. The details is easy hearing with h95 but more than the details is the natural sound flavour of the instruments. This is the best I can describing.

I listening now in total maybe 7 hours and the h95, in my opinion, is the best in sound quality of all the many, many (anc) wireless headphones and earphones I hear before. I saying this again: This is enormous surprise for me that b&o releasing this fantastic product. Is great they changing the shape of the earpads too because, even if more aesthetically nice for the headphone design, the people don't having round ears. And b&o design department producing a headphone that still looking really beautiful in person.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #50 of 2,077
looks quite interesting for sure. I had some H9 variant for a short time but really disliked its hollow mid presentation -- hopefully the H95 does correct this. Good subbass definitely triggers my buttons... though I dislike touch controls (will they even work in the cold?).
thanks for the comparison to the Aonic 50 @angelom Do you happen to know wether ANC can be switched off by default (I.e. so that it stays off over power off/on)? For me that's simply a feature that's only welcome in very noisy environments, hoch I seldom frequent. Especially now...
Finger is hovering above the "reserve" button...

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #52 of 2,077
looks quite interesting for sure. I had some H9 variant for a short time but really disliked its hollow mid presentation -- hopefully the H95 does correct this. Good subbass definitely triggers my buttons... though I dislike touch controls (will they even work in the cold?).
thanks for the comparison to the Aonic 50 @angelom Do you happen to know wether ANC can be switched off by default (I.e. so that it stays off over power off/on)? For me that's simply a feature that's only welcome in very noisy environments, hoch I seldom frequent. Especially now...
Finger is hovering above the "reserve" button...

Hello plakat.

I don't remembering the h9 mids, but I don't liking the big peak in the treble. The touch control is only for play/pause and next/previous track and is in right ear cup . Volume is in the dial in the right ear cup. With sony xm3 people reporting problems in winter with touch controls. I don't think this problem is present in h9, so I don't think is a problem with h95 in winter.

Yes, anc can be off by default so always when you turning on h95 anc and ambient mode is off.

Does the h95 has much better sound quality than the new Sony 1000mx4? The bass on the Sony is too boomy for me and the overall sound quality is just not good imo.

I don't liking the sound of xm3 and xm4, both headphones very bassy affecting a lot the mids, the sound is wrong. I only having xm3 for the excellent anc for the travels and because is very portable. I always using the eq in the app for reducing the bass. For me the factory sound of h95 is clearly better.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #53 of 2,077
I writing more posts in last 24 hours than normally: with the initial review, then answering questions and writing more of extra features, but in this thread I'm only owner so this is normal in this moment.

I permitting myself now in this post speaking of my enjoyment of the music with h95, but I must saying first this: I don't believing in hi-res files for better audio, and I don't believing in burn-in. A headphone or earphone is ready after 1 hour or maybe 2, and maybe usually this isn't necessary. I don't believing in 50/100/300+ hours of burn in because my experience is telling me always this isn't real. In my opinion this ideas of burn-in are 100% psychological.

So, the h95 is having fantastic low frequency (bass) reproduction. The elevations in the frequency are in the more correct areas. No mid bass affecting the mids, and beautiful low/sub bass, but never excessive. The drums in 'Stinkfist', for example, by Tool (Aenima album) is sounding powerful and with excellent depth, the drums sounding like covering a good part of the soundstage like is normal in this type of song/music. The bass notes in any track in the h95 is clean, with very, very correct decay, never slow sounding muddy, or too fast that sounding unnatural. This aspect I sometimes missing a little in sa50 and I having putting the volume more high sometimes than I wanting for more correct bass reproduction, but even in that case, low bass isn't going enough deep sometimes.

Like I saying before, maybe the transition of the mids and treble is little more correct in sa50 (I don't 100% sure about this yet), but the treble is never killing my ears with bad terrible peak and isn't dark or warm either, but I think maybe is little less bright than sa50. But I hear more finesse in the high frequencies, the cymbals are having better decay and tonality, more natural than I remember in sa50. But this is again speaking in technical territory.

I don't liking when people saying often something is sounding analogue and not digital, I think this is a cliche. But this is the first time I will saying that what I'm hearing is sounding more natural, less digitised, the instruments sounding more like they sounding in the real world, with not adding extra artificial details. The details is easy hearing with h95 but more than the details is the natural sound flavour of the instruments. This is the best I can describing.

I listening now in total maybe 7 hours and the h95, in my opinion, is the best in sound quality of all the many, many (anc) wireless headphones and earphones I hear before. I saying this again: This is enormous surprise for me that b&o releasing this fantastic product. Is great they changing the shape of the earpads too because, even if more aesthetically nice for the headphone design, the people don't having round ears. And b&o design department producing a headphone that still looking really beautiful in person.

Thanks for the amazing review, Angelom. Your comparison of H95 with SA50 really makes me super excited. I owned SA50 in the past but returned them (twice!!!) due to ANC and charging issue. Though I like the sound, the build quality of SA50 simply breaks my heart. Any comment or critic with the build quality of H95 so far? H95 is scheduled to arrive to NZ soon, cant wait to try them out!!!

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #54 of 2,077
Thanks for the amazing review, Angelom. Your comparison of H95 with SA50 really makes me super excited. I owned SA50 in the past but returned them (twice!!!) due to ANC and charging issue. Though I like the sound, the build quality of SA50 simply breaks my heart. Any comment or critic with the build quality of H95 so far? H95 is scheduled to arrive to NZ soon, cant wait to try them out!!!

Hello willsen.

I returning the sa50 one time. Yes, the construction quality isn't the best (momentum 3 is better easily in this aspect but isn't having the reference sound of sa50).

This is my third day with the h95. I having about 12 hours using in total (I waking up early today because I wanting listening more! ) Why I mentioning the 12 hours? Because with sa50 sometimes I having creaking sound from the mechanical movement in the sa50 ear cups (one pair in the left, the other in the right, and one pair is even more loud than the other in this aspect). I don't hearing any mechanical sounds in the h95 in 12 hours, nothing.

And in reference with the fitting of the ear cups you having more movement (vertical and horizontal) in h95 than in sa50 so you obtaining 100% perfect fit quickly, you can making very minimal movement for having even more exact fitting, and this small movements are very soft, really good quality in this aspect. In sa50 this isn't possible and in momentum 3 this usually isn't necessary because earpads are very thick and compensating for needing repositioning ear cups. I remember adjusting sa50 more than normal.

In 3 days I can telling to you that the construction quality is 100% superb. Like I saying in my 'review', the sa50 in comparison is looking like cheap headphone. And isn't only the headphone with great construction, but the excellent quality of the case and cables too.

When I reading that b&o is thinking for some time that the price is 1000 euros/1000 USD/900 GBP I can understanding why now. Yes, 800,00 euros is very expensive, but at least you obtaining real premium product with great sound. I saying before that you sometimes buying very expensive earphones or headphones with prices of 1500 euros or more and the quality of construction isn't so good. The attention in every detail by b&o in the h95 is first class.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #55 of 2,077
Hello willsen.

I returning the sa50 one time. Yes, the construction quality isn't the best (momentum 3 is better easily in this aspect but isn't having the reference sound of sa50).

This is my third day with the h95. I having about 12 hours using in total (I waking up early today because I wanting listening more! ) Why I mentioning the 12 hours? Because with sa50 sometimes I having creaking sound from the mechanical movement in the sa50 ear cups (one pair in the left, the other in the right, and one pair is even more loud than the other in this aspect). I don't hearing any mechanical sounds in the h95 in 12 hours, nothing.

And in reference with the fitting of the ear cups you having more movement (vertical and horizontal) in h95 than in sa50 so you obtaining 100% perfect fit quickly, you can making very minimal movement for having even more exact fitting, and this small movements are very soft, really good quality in this aspect. In sa50 this isn't possible and in momentum 3 this usually isn't necessary because earpads are very thick and compensating for needing repositioning ear cups. I remember adjusting sa50 more than normal.

In 3 days I can telling to you that the construction quality is 100% superb. Like I saying in my 'review', the sa50 in comparison is looking like cheap headphone. And isn't only the headphone with great construction, but the excellent quality of the case and cables too.

When I reading that b&o is thinking for some time that the price is 1000 euros/1000 USD/900 GBP I can understanding why now. Yes, 800,00 euros is very expensive, but at least you obtaining real premium product with great sound. I saying before that you sometimes buying very expensive earphones or headphones with prices of 1500 euros or more and the quality of construction isn't so good. The attention in every detail by b&o in the h95 is first class.
Hi again Angelom! You are correct about the annoying creaking sound from the earcups pivots on the SA50. In addition, the "resistance" to the earcups rotation on the SA50 made it really difficult for me to get a good fit. I actually found the comfort of the SA50 to be rather lacking because of this.

True that Momentum 3 has a better overal construction than the SA50 but I could never get the earcups to stay in place on my head. The slider mechanism is a significant downgrade to that adopted in Momentum 2.

Thanks again for the nice feedback on H95. As you can imagine, I am quite nervous on spending 800 USD for a ANC headphone. But if the construction is superb and has a neutral sound signature like SA50, i can see it as a very wise investment (I am forcing myself to think that it is wise, haha!).. THANK YOU ANGELOM!! I will posta photo of my H95 after I purchase it soon🤣. You convince me!!!

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #56 of 2,077
Hi again Angelom! You are correct about the annoying creaking sound from the earcups pivots on the SA50. In addition, the "resistance" to the earcups rotation on the SA50 made it really difficult for me to get a good fit. I actually found the comfort of the SA50 to be rather lacking because of this.

True that Momentum 3 has a better overal construction than the SA50 but I could never get the earcups to stay in place on my head. The slider mechanism is a significant downgrade to that adopted in Momentum 2.

Thanks again for the nice feedback on H95. As you can imagine, I am quite nervous on spending 800 USD for a ANC headphone. But if the construction is superb and has a neutral sound signature like SA50, i can see it as a very wise investment (I am forcing myself to think that it is wise, haha!).. THANK YOU ANGELOM!! I will posta photo of my H95 after I purchase it soon🤣. You convince me!!!

This is strange about the momentum 3. I buying 2 times (the second time after I returning the second pair of sa50) but I returning the second time because is a big problem for me with volume jumping too much only in iOS devices (not with my MacBook Pro), I changing the volume constantly so this is very bad for me. The slider in my 2 momentum pairs always working perfectly. And yes, one pair specially of sa50 the resistance you mentioning for rotation is very true, very hard (I deciding staying with the more loud creaking pair but less resistance in rotation).

I hoping you liking the h95 close with how I like my pair.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #57 of 2,077
This is strange about the momentum 3. I buying 2 times (the second time after I returning the second pair of sa50) but I returning the second time because is a big problem for me with volume jumping too much only in iOS devices (not with my MacBook Pro), I changing the volume constantly so this is very bad for me. The slider in my 2 momentum pairs always working perfectly. And yes, one pair specially of sa50 the resistance you mentioning for rotation is very true, very hard (I deciding staying with the more loud creaking pair but less resistance in rotation).

I hoping you liking the h95 close with how I like my pair.
Yeah, I hope so too. I was actually thinking of getting H9 3rd gen back in January this year. It was on discount in Singapore airport. But I found the bass a bit too 'boomy' and the offered codecs and bluetooth are not at all impressive for its price. Hopefully H95 nailed it this time. Will keep you posted! One last thing, does the alumunium carrying box get scratced so easily? It will be funny if I need to 'protect' the protective case as well🤣

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #58 of 2,077
One last thing, does the alumunium carrying box get scratced so easily? It will be funny if I need to 'protect' the protective case as well🤣

The case is aluminium but is having the last layer in the top of hard plastic black that is matt. I can scratching with my nails and quickly erase with my finger completely. I don't knowing how resistant is for other more serious scratches but I don't worry about this if I'm you. If I don't knowing the fact that this case is aluminium, I thinking is hard resistant plastic.

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #59 of 2,077
I would fully expect the volume limiter to still be there. B&O have to follow the law and every model they made in the past has had the volume limiter which is why despite really liking their wireless headphones that I stopped buying them. I had my H7 on full volume all the time and even with modern hot recordings I found it just loud enough. If the recordings were quieter and more dynamic the H7 was just too quiet for me. I wish that B&O would produce units for markets not covered by the EU regulations that did not have the volume limiter, but perhaps they are restricted from even doing that.

Sep 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #60 of 2,077
I would fully expect the volume limiter to still be there. B&O have to follow the law and every model they made in the past has had the volume limiter which is why despite really liking their wireless headphones that I stopped buying them. I had my H7 on full volume all the time and even with modern hot recordings I found it just loud enough. If the recordings were quieter and more dynamic the H7 was just too quiet for me. I wish that B&O would produce units for markets not covered by the EU regulations that did not have the volume limiter, but perhaps they are restricted from even doing that.

This isn't true. The b&o h8 is more loud than h9 and is similar in the volume with h95. I having problems with low volume with h9, not with h8 or h95.

B&W, a UK company (part of the European Union (EU)) making the p7 wireless and this headphone is going EXTREMELY loud. And recent px7 is very loud too. Momentum 3 is very, very loud but less than p7 wirelsss and px7.

The information I knowing for the EU law is that volume limiter is only for DAPs (digital audio players) and not for headphones and earphones. iPods and sony players in EU are terrible low volume. The iPhone isn't because is a mobile phone not DAP.

Master & Dynamic, American company making mw65 headphone. The volume is even more bad than h9 or similar, and American customers complaining of this aspect too.

With "quieter and more dynamic" recordings the h8 and h95 is going loud or VERY loud. And with majority of this recordings in full volume you going deaf quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back