NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #32 of 2,077
Thanks for that writeup!

Couple of questions if I may:
How is the volume limitation via Bluetooth vs the H9i and H9? Did they remove the limiter?
Can you pair multiple devices with seamless switching between the 2?

Thanks!

For your first question please read posts #27. Conclusion: I don't liking volume in h9. I don't having problem with h95.

For your second question read below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

More things I want mentioning.

The microphones for calls and for recording memos is exceptional. I think only with nc700 and AirPods I have similar excellent opinion, only the 2 can competing in calls/recording memos sound quality. Similar with nc700 your voice isn't sounding like is in horrible vacuum, but isn't completely natural but definitely isn't strange and uncomfortable like with majority of headphones and earphones.

Connecting with 2 devices is easy and when changing from one and the other is easy and quick. I connect with my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

You don't having feature of automatic pause if you taking headphone off, but the touch pad in the right ear cup is responding very well and very quickly for pausing music (the new sony xm4 isn't responding so good in the touch pad like previous xm3 model or the h95). I like the pause feature but isn't important at all for me if I can pausing quickly like you can in the h95.

You having automatic option (you can turn on or off in app) of h95 automatically turning off after 15 minutes if not using. This is useful always for me.

I testing very quickly ANC and ambient mode with dial on left ear cup. I think ANC is good, isn't like sony or bose, I think, but tomorrow I comparing with my sony xm3.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #33 of 2,077
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 2,077
I must admitting that B&O surprising me very much because this is the best (anc) wireless headphone package I'm hearing ever, in my experience, of all the (ANC) wireless earphones and headphones until today. For me the price isn't making difference in my verdict because I always speaking of the good and bad independent of the price. I must admitting that before I making my purchase I'm thinking that I will be probably disappointed again, like many times in the past with many headphones, including 5 or 6 by B&O. This time I'm not.

My decision already is 100% clear and this is why I'm writing this post before my plan: I am keeping h95 and not returning this really excellent headphone. I'm very happy after testing for more than 2 hours with critical listening, and testing other aspects too not relating with sound.

Ok, I speaking of the sound of the h95 first and then speaking about other aspects.

The h95 is in general a very neutral/flat/reference headphone. This is very good news for me but maybe isn't for the people that preferring more exciting sound (like sennheiser momentum3, a very, very good headphone, in my opinion). The h95 is more close with the sound of shure aonic 50, dali i-06 or m&d mw65.

The people that knowing me will remembering I love the shure aonic 50 (sa50) sound but the artificial leather earpads (making my ears hot and sweating sometimes) and not possible folding for the travels, and a big travel case too, making me selling the sa50.

The h95 sound is similar with sa50, maybe isn't so linear from lower mids to upper treble or maybe is more close than I remember!), but the dips and peaks of the h95, if they're in that part of the frequency, aren't offensive at all. The bass, from my memory of the sa50, is better in the h95, with very little mid bass elevation and definitely better low bass extension. The low/sub bass is very, very good, isn't elevated like momentum 3 at all. All the bass in general is beautiful, clean and deep when is necessary.

So, for my ears the h95 is representing the sounds of music in the complete frequency more correctly than sa50, like a better complete sonic picture.

I only comparing quickly the h95 with the excellent p7 wireless (p7w). The p7w clearly having more mid bass elevation, making music more exciting but little more muddy (bleeding sometimes in midrange) and isn't so accurate, and low bass isn't present like h95. BUT the reality is that the p7w having some strange magic combination that really making music sounding great. P7W for me is still excellent headphone and I don't thinking planning selling because I think is a classic already, an excellent headphone (not only for the sound).

But I must giving honest opinion. The h95 for my ears is sounding better than p7w, momentum 3, and even my favourite sa50 (from my recent memory) and so many other headphones. In the difficult frequency of the treble with the h95 I'm hearing very clean, without distortion, sounds. No sibilance, no harshness, not painful peak that piercing the ears.

I repeating this: maybe sa50 is having more linear/correct curve from low mids to high treble, but h95 in ALL the complete frequency (from low bass to high treble) is giving me more correct representation of what I hearing in the real life. The h95 isn't harman target curve but isn't exactly defuse field target curve, but something maybe in the middle?? The thing that is very clear for me is that I'm liking the sound very, very much and I don't thinking this happening when I thinking I buying this headphone, not at all.

Maybe some people thinking, "Hey, for 800 euros this must having the best sound definitely!". Well, yes and no. Yes because for this price everybody must expecting and demanding the best sound, and this, in my opinion, is normal. But no because the reality is that in the market today are many earphones and headphones very, very expensive, more than 500/1000/2000 euros that don't having excellent sound, or having only ok sound but having other problems.

Ok, other aspects of h95 I want mentioning.

The volume dial is excellent. For majority of people they will liking this, yes, but maybe isn't so important. for ME this is absolutely fantastic feature because I changing the volume constantly and sometimes only in very small steps or sometimes quick big jumps. I can't believing I have a headphone today that is giving me this really very important aspect. Everything is quick, easy and intuitive.

The comfort is excellent. You can move the ear cups in several positions until you really having the perfect fit. This is one of the best headphones in this aspect.

The leather earpads don't making my ears hot and sweating like other headphones, this is VERY important aspect for me personally. The headband is leather but the part that touching the head is cloth and having enough good padding and is good quality, not cloth that deteriorate easily. (sa50 feeling like cheap headphone comparing with h95 but h95 costing double).

No creaking noises when moving the head or the jaw.

The case is having the perfect size and quality is excellent.

The on/off/BT pairing button is solid, very good quality, better than all; headphone I know before, is very solid. Really everything about this headphone is made with superb quality and the attention of every detail is obvious in ALL the aspects, even the cables and the leather strips that keeping the cables.

This is real craftsmanship, and I think the craftsmanship in the sound too. I must giving credit when credit is necessary. B&O making a very excellent headphone, even if costing 800,00 euros.

Thanks for the write up.

I will buy this on build quality alone. For $800, I think it is exceptionally well built and packaged. Compare this to some HPs that are 3-5 more expensive with shixxy build quality, (hint hint HFM).

I almost pulled the trigger on Sony XM4s without knowing this was on the horizon, and I'm really glad I waited.

Like I said before, I won't be too critical/picky regarding sound quality with wireless ANC HPs. As long as they're not completely trash, I'll be happy as it'll mostly be paired with my cellphone for easy listening. I have my main rigs for 'critical' listening.

Just waiting for the 10 September release date to pull the trigger.

Thanks.

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #35 of 2,077
No. Nothing is more comfortable than qc35 or qc35II

I agree. QC35 is very lightweight and comfortable, especially considering its relatively small earpad size. Just not a big fan of how they sound.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #36 of 2,077
I agree. QC35 is very lightweight and comfortable, especially considering its relatively small earpad size. Just not a big fan of how they sound.

Nothing is more comfortable than the qc35/qc35II. The sony xm3 is very comfortable too, but the bose a little more. Is interesting the new sony xm4 is less comfortable than xm3.

The b&w p7 wireless many people saying is uncomfortable and I remember when I buying this headphone 3,5 years ago, yes was (little) uncomfortable but I think maybe after 2 weeks is more and more comfortable and then I forgetting this problem. The p7w I using for more than 3 years and many, many times for more than 6-8 hours without stopping and this headphone becoming for me one of the more comfortable headphones. The leather earpads and rest of construction is fantastic. My pair is looking the same like the first day.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #37 of 2,077
Maybe h95 is too expensive. Maybe, and this is valid opinion, I think, because some prices in audio products are crazy. But for the people that don't knowing b&o is thinking before that the price of the h95 isn't 800 euros / 700 GBP / 800 USD but must be 1000 euros / 900 GBP / 1000 USD. Maybe b&o changing this because of the covid-19 and the economy of many countries is changing for very much worse, or because a price that is more than double (majority of high end anc headphones costing about 400 eros) is unrealistic for good sales for the company. At least, one difference from other very expensive products, this headphone of 800 euros really is having excellent construction quality, excellent sound, and all the other materials are premium.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #40 of 2,077
I do have a question about sound leakage. Did love the Aonic 50, but sound leakage was terrible, so I had to send them back. What about the h95?

The h95 is very good in this aspect, the people outside almost can't hearing nothing.

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #41 of 2,077
ANC Test

I finish now my test of ANC comparing h95 with sony xm3 (xm3 and new xm4 having the best anc of all anc headphones).

I using for the test speakers of noise inside airplane and busy coffee shop. Then I using my own fan in high position 3 that is loud.

Results: The xm3 is better in all situations but the h95 is doing very good job in all 3 situations and isn't big difference in blocking the same noises than xm3. So my conclusion is anc in h95 is very, very good.

But one thing maybe that is important for some people (not for me) with h95 is that I hearing more wind noise from the air pushing of my fan in high setting. With xm3 you can hearing wind noise but much less. So I think h95 isn't very good for walking in the street in very windy days.

Sep 3, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #42 of 2,077
Please tell us how transparency mode performs compared to SA50 and Momentum 3. In the Shure’s headphones, you can adjust the level and, though it is less natural than in the Sennys, is very useful in street walking or listening to music at home while your family is around you and asking you randomly

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #44 of 2,077
Please tell us how transparency mode performs compared to SA50 and Momentum 3. In the Shure’s headphones, you can adjust the level and, though it is less natural than in the Sennys, is very useful in street walking or listening to music at home while your family is around you and asking you randomly

Yes, the momentum 3 ambient mode is more natural in the sound. The h95 is more similar with sa50, you can hearing very good and adjusting how much you wanting. But is better than sa50 because you don't needing app for adjusting more or less noise from outside coming in. The only advantage with sa50 is you can controlling with more precision 10 levels of ambient noise. With h95 dial probably you having 5 different positions but is definitely more practical and quick. You instantly can going from ambient to off (no ambient and no anc) or to ANC.

By the way, at the beginning the Momentum 3 were bad managing wind, but now it has been improved enough vía firmware. So...

This is good news for the people that needing using the h95 in windy situation, only if b&o can fixing this too in similar firmware update.

I really hoping, like sennheiser doing after a long time, that b&o offering new extra EQ option with 3 or 5 bands. BUT at least the good thing this time is that the factory sound is excellent. With h8, and all three h9 models I trying in the past I needing always the eq, but the eq implementation isn't very good because when you moving the dot, you affecting other parts of spectrum, but the b&o eq is better than the previous terrible sennheiser eq that is only option for more than 2 years.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #45 of 2,077
The sony xm3 case, like bose cases, is very good size for the travels and offering good protection. So, for reference, here is the measurements of the xm3 case and h95 case:

H95 – 20cm x 18cm x 6,5cm

XM3 – 21,5cm x 17cm x 5,5cm

One extra advantage of the h95 case is that is 100% completely solid, so if your backpack or similar thing is crushing with other heavy bags, the sony and bose cases maybe affected. Not the h95 case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back