NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Aug 30, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 2,077
I'm in the market for ANC HPs to replace my aging QC35 I. I had my mind set on the new Sony XM4s, but I guess i'll hold for these. Looks interesting.

+Build quality appears to be class above other ANCs on the market (unfortunately price too). Premium packaging as well.
+like the idea of rotating dials
+Killer advertised battery life
+Aptx adaptive for versatility.
+Aesthetics.

-weight. Bit heavy for an ANC IMO. Wish they were under 300g.
-price.

?Sound. Better be awesome at this price point.
?ANC. As long as it can effectively block out airplane engine/cabin noise I'm happy.
?Fit. This will be critical for me w/ the added weight.

Aug 30, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 2,077
I'm in the market for ANC HPs to replace my aging QC35 I. I had my mind set on the new Sony XM4s, but I guess i'll hold for these. Looks interesting.

+Build quality appears to be class above other ANCs on the market (unfortunately price too). Premium packaging as well.
+like the idea of rotating dials
+Killer advertised battery life
+Aptx adaptive for versatility.
+Aesthetics.

-weight. Bit heavy for an ANC IMO. Wish they were under 300g.
-price.

?Sound. Better be awesome at this price point.
?ANC. As long as it can effectively block out airplane engine/cabin noise I'm happy.
?Fit. This will be critical for me w/ the added weight.

For me the positive aspects that attracting me very much of this headphone, plus 2 aspects I'm hoping are close to very good:

1. Is having leather earpads. I can't using artificial leather because my ears often getting hot and sometimes sweating.
2. Folding mechanism for the travels.
3. Volume dial looks like great idea. If this is good implementation, and you can controlling very small steps, this is for me VERY important.
4. Very solid case that isn't monster size.
5. Construction is very solid (h8 and all h9 models having fantastic construction quality, the best I trying of all headphones), and the design too for me b&o is the best.
6. If the sound isn't so close with excellent, I'm hoping the eq of the app (that isn't great unfortunately) helping me making the sound better, sufficient good that I don't returning for this reason.
7. I'm hoping the anc is sufficient good for the airplane and the underground and trains.
8. The battery life is the best of all (anc) wireless headphones.

In some aspects of the design the H95 is like the fantastic p7 wireless, like the magnetic removable earpads.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 2,077
For me the positive aspects that attracting me very much of this headphone, plus 2 aspects I'm hoping are close to very good:

1. Is having leather earpads. I can't using artificial leather because my ears often getting hot and sometimes sweating.
2. Folding mechanism for the travels.
3. Volume dial looks like great idea. If this is good implementation, and you can controlling very small steps, this is for me VERY important.
4. Very solid case that isn't monster size.
5. Construction is very solid (h8 and all h9 models having fantastic construction quality, the best I trying of all headphones), and the design too for me b&o is the best.
6. If the sound isn't so close with excellent, I'm hoping the eq of the app (that isn't great unfortunately) helping me making the sound better, sufficient good that I don't returning for this reason.
7. I'm hoping the anc is sufficient good for the airplane and the underground and trains.
8. The battery life is the best of all (anc) headphones.

In some aspects of the design the H95 is like the fantastic p7 wireless, like the magnetic removable earpads.

Yeah I really like the magnetic detachable earpads. So much better for long-term use.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 2,077
Maybe 800 USD is for limited ones and after 10. Sep. the regulars are will be more reasonable price.

Is official the price is the same for limited edition and regular edition. Only difference is 95 pairs of limited edition having individual serial number. All the rest in the headphone and the case is identical.

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #22 of 2,077
Is official the price is the same for limited edition and regular edition. Only difference is 95 pairs of limited edition having individual serial number. All the rest in the headphone and the case is identical.

Wow. Thanks for info.

I just hoped maybe 95 limited items price is 800, after that reduce some... Damn.

Now than for me main question is; eu vol. limit?
Or maybe, if it is possible, to find out non-limit vers. for this.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #23 of 2,077

That's the million dollars question I guess ?
One thing I don't understand with wireless headphones in general is why, despite all of them having some form of an internal DSP that could apply some EQ, we still see frequency response curves that feature wild 15+ dB swings in narrow bands or gross deviations in excess of 10 dB from the various FR target curves that have empirically been demonstrated as being favoured by most customers (they're not all the same, but they all have the same tendencies and are moderate variations around a similar theme). Looking at Rting or Oratory's measurements I probably wouldn't need more than one hand amputated of a few fingers to make a list of BT ANC headphones which FR lands within 5db across the whole range of these curves.
It's all the more madness when you realise that a lot of cheap passive headphones, some of them designed in the 90s, do it better.
And it becomes downright insane when Beats (of all manufacturers) makes a pair of headphones which bass response is more faithful to these curves than practically any other pair of wireless ANC over ear / on ear headphones.
Hello, headphones manufacturers ? What the hell are you doing ?
*Crossing fingers the H95 will be one of the "good" B&Os*

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #24 of 2,077
That's the million dollars question I guess ?
One thing I don't understand with wireless headphones in general is why, despite all of them having some form of an internal DSP that could apply some EQ, we still see frequency response curves that feature wild 15+ dB swings in narrow bands or gross deviations in excess of 10 dB from the various FR target curves that have empirically been demonstrated as being favoured by most customers (they're not all the same, but they all have the same tendencies and are moderate variations around a similar theme). Looking at Rting or Oratory's measurements I probably wouldn't need more than one hand amputated of a few fingers to make a list of BT ANC headphones which FR lands within 5db across the whole range of these curves.
It's all the more madness when you realise that a lot of cheap passive headphones, some of them designed in the 90s, do it better.
And it becomes downright insane when Beats (of all manufacturers) makes a pair of headphones which bass response is more faithful to these curves than practically any other pair of wireless ANC over ear / on ear headphones.
Hello, headphones manufacturers ? What the hell are you doing ?
*Crossing fingers the H95 will be one of the "good" B&Os*

Because that's what the general public likes. Oversharpened treble gives false sense of clarity and for average consumers, "it's all about that bass."

I fly frequently, well I used to pre Covid, but I just need a decent wireless ANC for flights really. I like the fit&finish and the overall build quality, so will probably end up getting these over the new Sony XM4. Soundwise, not expecting much and I'll be less critical. I have other wired HPs for that. As long as they don't sound too off, I won't complain too much.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #25 of 2,077
Because that's what the general public likes.

Sean Olive’s research at Harman debunks that preconception. When given the choice in blind tests between various frequency responses a significant majority of people tend to favour curves More or less close to Harman’s target, regardless of whether they’re trained listeners or not, with most of the variation happening below 200hz or so. There’s no valid reason for the B&W PX7, or B&O H9i frequency response curves, other than “we couldn’t bother, we’ll let our brand carry the sales”.

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #26 of 2,077
Sean Olive’s research at Harman debunks that preconception. When given the choice in blind tests between various frequency responses a significant majority of people tend to favour curves More or less close to Harman’s target, regardless of whether they’re trained listeners or not, with most of the variation happening below 200hz or so. There’s no valid reason for the B&W PX7, or B&O H9i frequency response curves, other than “we couldn’t bother, we’ll let our brand carry the sales”.

Well TBH, I careless about the Harman curve. It's just a target FR. Knowing where you are on the spectrum may be useful, but if you like the sound who cares what the graph says?

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #27 of 2,077
The photo below of my excellent P7 Wireless and my new, excellent too, H95 that arriving today.

I will posting sound impressions later but I can saying this now: the sound is better than h9, h9i and h9 3g (no problematic bad peaky treble that is present in h9i and h9 3g that killing my ears, I can't remember if original h9 having same problem treble). P7W having more mid bass than h95.

I can't remembering which h9 model/s having volume problem too (not enough max volume), and h95 isn't having this problem, this is a worry for me so I'm happy. The volume isn't extremely high in max position but is very, very loud for all the music music I listening (this isn't happening before with 1 or 2 models of h9 with some of my music collection).

The volume dial is great! The headphone is very, very comfortable, the weight isn't problem at all. The quality of construction is superb. The case is perfect size and very, very solid.

p7w_h95.jpg

Sep 2, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #28 of 2,077
The photo below of my excellent P7 Wireless and my new, excellent too, H95 that arriving today.

I will posting sound impressions later but I can saying this now: the sound is better than h9, h9i and h9 3g (no problematic bad peaky treble that is present in h9i and h9 3g that killing my ears, I can't remember if original h9 having same problem treble). P7W having more mid bass than h95.

I can't remembering which h9 model/s having volume problem too (not enough max volume), and h95 isn't having this problem, this is a worry for me so I'm happy. The volume isn't extremely high in max position but is very, very loud for all the music music I listening (this isn't happening before with 1 or 2 models of h9 with some of my music collection).

The volume dial is great! The headphone is very, very comfortable, the weight isn't problem at all. The quality of construction is superb. The case is perfect size and very, very solid.

p7w_h95.jpg

How is the breathability of these headphones? My ears sweat like crazy with the Aonic 50, as an example.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #29 of 2,077
I must admitting that B&O surprising me very much because this is the best (anc) wireless headphone package I'm hearing ever, in my experience, of all the (ANC) wireless earphones and headphones until today. For me the price isn't making difference in my verdict because I always speaking of the good and bad independent of the price. I must admitting that before I making my purchase I'm thinking that I will be probably disappointed again, like many times in the past with many headphones, including 5 or 6 by B&O. This time I'm not.

My decision already is 100% clear and this is why I'm writing this post before my plan: I am keeping h95 and not returning this really excellent headphone. I'm very happy after testing for more than 2 hours with critical listening, and testing other aspects too not relating with sound.

Ok, I speaking of the sound of the h95 first and then speaking about other aspects.

The h95 is in general a very neutral/flat/reference headphone. This is very good news for me but maybe isn't for the people that preferring more exciting sound (like sennheiser momentum3, a very, very good headphone, in my opinion). The h95 is more close with the sound of shure aonic 50, dali i-06 or m&d mw65.

The people that knowing me will remembering I love the shure aonic 50 (sa50) sound but the artificial leather earpads (making my ears hot and sweating sometimes) and not possible folding for the travels, and a big travel case too, making me selling the sa50.

The h95 sound is similar with sa50, maybe isn't so linear from lower mids to upper treble or maybe is more close than I remember!), but the dips and peaks of the h95, if they're in that part of the frequency, aren't offensive at all. The bass, from my memory of the sa50, is better in the h95, with very little mid bass elevation and definitely better low bass extension. The low/sub bass is very, very good, isn't elevated like momentum 3 at all. All the bass in general is beautiful, clean and deep when is necessary.

So, for my ears the h95 is representing the sounds of music in the complete frequency more correctly than sa50, like a better complete sonic picture.

I only comparing quickly the h95 with the excellent p7 wireless (p7w). The p7w clearly having more mid bass elevation, making music more exciting but little more muddy (bleeding sometimes in midrange) and isn't so accurate, and low bass isn't present like h95. BUT the reality is that the p7w having some strange magic combination that really making music sounding great. P7W for me is still excellent headphone and I don't thinking planning selling because I think is a classic already, an excellent headphone (not only for the sound).

But I must giving honest opinion. The h95 for my ears is sounding better than p7w, momentum 3, and even my favourite sa50 (from my recent memory) and so many other headphones. In the difficult frequency of the treble with the h95 I'm hearing very clean, without distortion, sounds. No sibilance, no harshness, not painful peak that piercing the ears.

I repeating this: maybe sa50 is having more linear/correct curve from low mids to high treble, but h95 in ALL the complete frequency (from low bass to high treble) is giving me more correct representation of what I hearing in the real life. The h95 isn't harman target curve but isn't exactly defuse field target curve, but something maybe in the middle?? The thing that is very clear for me is that I'm liking the sound very, very much and I don't thinking this happening when I thinking I buying this headphone, not at all.

Maybe some people thinking, "Hey, for 800 euros this must having the best sound definitely!". Well, yes and no. Yes because for this price everybody must expecting and demanding the best sound, and this, in my opinion, is normal. But no because the reality is that in the market today are many earphones and headphones very, very expensive, more than 500/1000/2000 euros that don't having excellent sound, or having only ok sound but having other problems.

Ok, other aspects of h95 I want mentioning.

The volume dial is excellent. For majority of people they will liking this, yes, but maybe isn't so important. for ME this is absolutely fantastic feature because I changing the volume constantly and sometimes only in very small steps or sometimes quick big jumps. I can't believing I have a headphone today that is giving me this really very important aspect. Everything is quick, easy and intuitive.

The comfort is excellent. You can move the ear cups in several positions until you really having the perfect fit. This is one of the best headphones in this aspect.

The leather earpads don't making my ears hot and sweating like other headphones, this is VERY important aspect for me personally. The headband is leather but the part that touching the head is cloth and having enough good padding and is good quality, not cloth that deteriorate easily. (sa50 feeling like cheap headphone comparing with h95 but h95 costing double).

No creaking noises when moving the head or the jaw.

The case is having the perfect size and quality is excellent.

The on/off/BT pairing button is solid, very good quality, better than all; headphone I know before, is very solid. Really everything about this headphone is made with superb quality and the attention of every detail is obvious in ALL the aspects, even the cables and the leather strips that keeping the cables.

This is real craftsmanship, and I think the craftsmanship in the sound too. I must giving credit when credit is necessary. B&O making a very excellent headphone, even if costing 800,00 euros.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #30 of 2,077
I must admitting that B&O surprising me very much because this is the best (anc) wireless headphone package I'm hearing ever, in my experience, of all the (ANC) wireless earphones and headphones until today. For me the price isn't making difference in my verdict because I always speaking of the good and bad independent of the price. I must admitting that before I making my purchase I'm thinking that I will be probably disappointed again, like many times in the past with many headphones, including 5 or 6 by B&O. This time I'm not.

My decision already is 100% clear and this is why I'm writing this post before my plan: I am keeping h95 and not returning this really excellent headphone. I'm very happy after testing for more than 2 hours with critical listening, and testing other aspects too not relating with sound.

Ok, I speaking of the sound of the h95 first and then speaking about other aspects.

The h95 is in general a very neutral/flat/reference headphone. This is very good news for me but maybe isn't for the people that preferring more exciting sound (like sennheiser momentum3, a very, very good headphone, in my opinion). The h95 is more close with the sound of shure aonic 50, dali i-06 or m&d mw65.

The people that knowing me will remembering I love the shure aonic 50 (sa50) sound but the artificial leather earpads (making my ears hot and sweating sometimes) and not possible folding for the travels, and a big travel case too, making me selling the sa50.

The h95 sound is similar with sa50, maybe isn't so linear from lower mids to upper treble or maybe is more close than I remember!), but the dips and peaks of the h95, if they're in that part of the frequency, aren't offensive at all. The bass, from my memory of the sa50, is better in the h95, with very little mid bass elevation and definitely better low bass extension. The low/sub bass is very, very good, isn't elevated like momentum 3 at all. All the bass in general is beautiful, clean and deep when is necessary.

So, for my ears the h95 is representing the sounds of music in the complete frequency more correctly than sa50, like a better complete sonic picture.

I only comparing quickly the h95 with the excellent p7 wireless (p7w). The p7w clearly having more mid bass elevation, making music more exciting but little more muddy (bleeding sometimes in midrange) and isn't so accurate, and low bass isn't present like h95. BUT the reality is that the p7w having some strange magic combination that really making music sounding great. P7W for me is still excellent headphone and I don't thinking planning selling because I think is a classic already, an excellent headphone (not only for the sound).

But I must giving honest opinion. The h95 for my ears is sounding better than p7w, momentum 3, and even my favourite sa50 (from my recent memory) and so many other headphones. In the difficult frequency of the treble with the h95 I'm hearing very clean, without distortion, sounds. No sibilance, no harshness, not painful peak that piercing the ears.

I repeating this: maybe sa50 is having more linear/correct curve from low mids to high treble, but h95 in ALL the complete frequency (from low bass to high treble) is giving me more correct representation of what I hearing in the real life. The h95 isn't harman target curve but isn't exactly defuse field target curve, but something maybe in the middle?? The thing that is very clear for me is that I'm liking the sound very, very much and I don't thinking this happening when I thinking I buying this headphone, not at all.

Maybe some people thinking, "Hey, for 800 euros this must having the best sound definitely!". Well, yes and no. Yes because for this price everybody must expecting and demanding the best sound, and this, in my opinion, is normal. But no because the reality is that in the market today are many earphones and headphones very, very expensive, more than 500/1000/2000 euros that don't having excellent sound, or having only ok sound but having other problems.

Ok, other aspects of h95 I want mentioning.

The volume dial is excellent. For majority of people they will liking this, yes, but maybe isn't so important. for ME this is absolutely fantastic feature because I changing the volume constantly and sometimes only in very small steps or sometimes quick big jumps. I can't believing I have a headphone today that is giving me this really very important aspect. Everything is quick, easy and intuitive.

The comfort is excellent. You can move the ear cups in several positions until you really having the perfect fit. This is one of the best headphones in this aspect.

The leather earpads don't making my ears hot and sweating like other headphones, this is VERY important aspect for me personally. The headband is leather but the part that touching the head is cloth and having enough good padding and is good quality, not cloth that deteriorate easily. (sa50 feeling like cheap headphone comparing with h95 but h95 costing double).

No creaking noises when moving the head or the jaw.

The case is having the perfect size and quality is excellent.

The on/off/BT pairing button is solid, very good quality, better than all; headphone I know before, is very solid. Really everything about this headphone is made with superb quality and the attention of every detail is obvious in ALL the aspects, even the cables and the leather strips that keeping the cables.

This is real craftsmanship, and I think the craftsmanship in the sound too. I must giving credit when credit is necessary. B&O making a very excellent headphone, even if costing 800,00 euros.
Thanks for that writeup!

Couple of questions if I may:
How is the volume limitation via Bluetooth vs the H9i and H9? Did they remove the limiter?
Can you pair multiple devices with seamless switching between the 2?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back