NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #842 of 2,077
I originally posted this in the AirPods Max thread, but since not everyone that reads about the H95 will necessarily read that long thread, I thought I'd put it here. IMG_0044.jpegIMG_0045.jpegIMG_0046.jpegIMG_0047.jpegIMG_0048.jpegIMG_0049.jpegIMG_0050.jpegIMG_0051.jpegIMG_0052.jpegIMG_0053.jpegIMG_0054.jpegIMG_0055.jpegIMG_0056.jpegIMG_0057.jpegIMG_0058.jpegIMG_0059.jpeg

I'm not ready to do a full, detailed comparison of the sound differences between the APM and the H95, but I thought I'd take a few minutes to explore the design.

So, here is a detailed design comparison:

I'm very happy to have purchased Silver on the AirPods Max, as it makes for a very nice visual comparison with what is, in my opinion, the best color of the H95.

The case is, well, hilariously bad on the APM. I want to say "what was Apple thinking here?" But they have a history of screwing stuff like this up. Anybody remember the horrifying iPhone battery cases from a few years back? Obviously B&O delivers an exceptionally nice case, even if it is a touch large. It almost feels like a Rimowa case (they've done collabs before, so not a stretch).

Once we get them out of their cases you immediately notice something striking: Apple's fit and finish is absolutely on par with Bang & Olufsen, and that's no small feat. These are not entry level B&O headphones (I've owned H6s in the past, so I know the difference), this is the most expensive can B&O has ever made and it shows. But Apple is in the same quality ballpark, and honestly for $550 they shouldn't be.

The fact that Apple made these entire headphones out of aluminum and stainless steel has been all over the news, for good and bad, but the simple truth is that humans equate weight with quality more often than not, and these feel premium as a result. But these two headphones achieve their premium feeling in very different ways, despite the initial appearance that they are very similar.

Apple does great work with aluminum. All of their aluminum products are finished to nearly impossible standards of perfection, and the ear cups on the APM are no exception. They feel great. So smooth, so solid, and they really don't show fingerprints, which is a huge plus. The cups though, especially next to the H95, cannot help but look plain. It's almost shocking that Apple didn't slap logos on them. They could've done it in a way that looks classy, rather than tacky - think the back of the newer MacBook Pro and Air line. Something reflective like that would've done so much to break up the visual monotony of the large, aluminum slabs affixed to your ears.

Apple may do great work with aluminum, but B&O does it even better. Nobody on earth does things with aluminum like Bang & Olufsen. The ear cups on these headphones are just a step above anything else out there. They refract light in an almost hypnotic way, and they're beautiful on a level that exceeds just about anything else on the market, regardless of price. Just look at the different pictures of the H95 and you'll see just how different the cups look at different angles. It's truly incredible what B&O can do with aluminum.

Then we get to the ear pads. This should be a slam dunk, unequivocal win for B&O, but it's not quite that simple. The lambskin pads they use feel incredible, rivaling the aluminum work for the most premium thing about the design of these headphones. But Apple does some really cool stuff with their pads too. First, they get props for not killing an animal (I know that this doesn't matter to a lot of people, but I applaud Apple for the decision). Next, the memory foam is great, conforms well, seals tightly, and simply nails its intended purpose. And because the APM are a little larger, and deeper, there is more room for the larger eared amongst us. Honestly, I call this a draw.

Looking at the side profile, focusing on the controls, this is the area where I think B&O dominates this comparison the most decisively. Yes, they unabashedly copied Microsoft. The two dials are the exact same concept as the Surface Headphones. But you know what? It's a great concept and I'm glad they copied it. Having one ear change volume and the other NC is perfection. And physical rotary dials win over touch controls ten times out of ten. Apple on the other hand makes a big deal about their Digital Crown, and I guess it's fine, compared to other headphones, but in this comparison it's sorely lacking. I'm an Apple Watch owner, and I don't love it there, and I don't love it here either.

Finally we get to the biggest win for Apple - the headband. They flat out nailed this. It's the best headband I've ever used on a pair of headphones, ever. It really reminds me of the Sony Qualia/SA5000 design from back in the day. I loved that headband, and I love this one even more. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. I love the material - the rubberish/plastic whatever it is feels amazing. It's super soft to the touch, smooth without being slick, and just a bit tacky without being sticky or catching lint. Honestly, this headband is perfect. I want it on every pair of headphones I own for the rest of my life.

B&O meanwhile really doesn't know how to make a headband. My H6 headband sucked, and this is barely, just barely better. The material on the top is leatherish - nowhere near as premium as the ear pads. The material that rests on your head is soft, but not soft enough. If these headphones were any heavier the headband would ruin the comfort, but they're just light enough to make it passable. Bang & Olufsen, if you're reading head-fi, make a better headband. $800 headphones deserve better execution than this.

As an epilogue, a mention of stainless steel. When Apple announced the APM, I was perplexed by the decision to use stainless steel, and I still am. It looks amazing and gives these headphones an indestructible vibe, but it's overkill. It adds so much weight that it can't possibly be worth the tradeoff. B&O uses fantastic looking aluminum in the same places, and at no point have I ever felt it lacking. Apple didn't need to do this, and probably shouldn't in future designs. I do love looking at it though.

So, that's a wrap. Apple did a remarkable job here. But B&O did a better one. That should be what most people expected.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #843 of 2,077
Probably the best aspect of the h95 is that if you, like me, is having very strong psychological teenager need of being different from the rest of the people, and you needing other people knowing this (when you're not teenager anymore), the h95 is perfect for that. The h95 is making you a very special and different person. 800ā‚¬ is really cheap price for that, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #844 of 2,077
but, but, how do they sound to you A vs. B?
Probably the best aspect of the h95 is that if you, like me, is having very strong psychological teenager need of being different from the rest of the people, and you needing other people knowing this (when you're not teenager anymore), the h95 is perfect for that. The h95 is making you a very special and different person. 800ā‚¬ is really cheap price for that, in my opinion.
I don't know if I'd agree. We're adults and hopefully past the need for acceptance. WGAF? For $800 for the H95 or the $550 APM I better get multiple eargasms.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #845 of 2,077
but, but, how do they sound to you A vs. B?

I posting my sound impressions in the APM thread last week. In general, for the average consumer I think the APM is giving more exciting sound, but for people that caring more for more correct sound the h95 is better. The APM is having more bass, mids that can sounding little recessed and treble that is missing some important information. The h95 is having better linearity, and better details retrieval. BUT, the sq of the APM is very good and is definitely one of the best in the bt anc market today.

I don't know if I'd agree. We're adults and hopefully past the need for acceptance.

For me acceptance being special and different is many more important than SQ, construction quality, design, battery life, user experience, etc.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #847 of 2,077
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #848 of 2,077
I ended up selling mine already šŸ˜³. I liked the sound but found a lot of wind going through the headphones no matter how much anc I turned on or off. Today I went for a walk with my new Airpods Max which didnā€™t have this. When placed correctly on my head I have a great fit and they donā€™t move much or let air in when I moan or move my head outside.

Also testing out the PX7 carbon and also went outside later. Doesnā€™t beat the APM in my opinion - I like the vocals better on the APM and it sounds more punchy. However - if I didnā€™t have both to test Iā€™d probably get used to the PX7 - which most will and I do like them. Always never a good idea to side test earphones. You gotta live with them and have your ears adjusting to their sound.

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #849 of 2,077
For me acceptance being special and different is many more important than SQ, construction quality, design, battery life, user experience, etc.

Then my choice of wearing a clunky, ugly, fragile gaming headphone because it sounds better than any of the others make me very special.

I am tempted to try the APM, but with android AAC as a limitation, I suspect they will not suit. I still want to like the H95...

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #850 of 2,077
Then my choice of wearing a clunky, ugly, fragile gaming headphone because it sounds better than any of the others make me very special.

The important difference is that your gaming headphone is much more cheap than h95 so this isn't making you sufficiently special and different (more people owing this headphone) because the h95 is very, very more expensive. And remember that for me sound quality isn't important.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #851 of 2,077
For the people thinking of the AirPods Max (APM), my post in the APM thread I copy here:

Update of APM impressions after 8 days:

Is good that I keeping my pair still for doing more testing and experimenting because the APM in several aspects is a very, very good or excellent headphone.

Discovering more sound options is very good, specially for iOS devices with the more correct tuning of "voice" + "slight" making a big difference in correction of the factory sound, but like I saying before, a good eq app is good for many headphones including the APM. I always preferring not eq'ing my headphones and with the APM I'm making big exception for the my tests and for testing the computational aspects of this headphone.

But problems from the first day are continuing today. After not more than one hour, with maximum effort for continuing listening for 1,5 hours, the discomfort outside of my ears in the top part is difficult for me accepting until I must saying "stop, take it off!, I needing break NOW!". My ears are getting hot too and sometimes showing little sweat.

The user experience isn't improving when I trying adjusting the APM position of earcups or taking off for quick break or doing something different, I still often accidentally clicking the play/pause button and/or changing volume or changing anc/ambinet/off mode. This is frustrating and is one aspect that nobody in this thread, except other reviews outside head-fi, mentioning.

The volume adjustment with volume crown is fantastic, with very fine changes possible (so important for me!), except for the thing I mentioning above that sometimes changing volume A LOT accidentally.

After 8 days, the b&o h95 is still very, very clearly my preference, not only in the sound quality aspect (always clear for me), but in the VERY important aspect of the user experience (and portability aspect too), comfort, not making my ears hot and the playback features (volume changes, play/pause next/previous track).

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #852 of 2,077
I have now had this new toy (H95) for about 24 hours. Wauw, what a sound. To my ears, so much better than the XM3s. Somebody wrote somewhere, that it feels like a subwoofer on the ears. They extends really deep and there are very many layers, detail and a reasonable sound stage. Playing tidal hifi from an iphone SE 128. Initially a bit concerned with the fit, but today not so much, though the cups could have been deeper. Very much like the wheels. Appreciate the neutral position on the anc. Took them for a walk to test the anc. It was not windy today, but I noticed the wind noise when anc was fully on. Then I tried to switch on the ā€œauto ancā€ in the app, and apparently, it works! Couldnā€™t see ā€œthe barā€ for anc in the app moving in different environments, but I was happy. Still have to try them with more wind. (The Sonyā€™s have their ā€œwind noiseā€ setting, which works fine). Havenā€™t compared directly, but the XM3s probably wins the anc......

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #853 of 2,077
The important difference is that your gaming headphone is much more cheap than h95 so this isn't making you sufficiently special and different (more people owing this headphone) because the h95 is very, very more expensive. And remember that for me sound quality isn't important.

They may cost Ā£700 but that doesnā€™t make them particularly elusive. Slightly overpriced for what they are, yes, but not particularly unachievable. With the H95 you can only really claim to be ā€œspecialā€ if you have one of the 95 numbered headphones.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #854 of 2,077
I posting my sound impressions in the APM thread last week. In general, for the average consumer I think the APM is giving more exciting

I think we have different ideas as to what makes someone special. Going the road less travelled has its merits, but just spending more than others in itself does not make you better.

Also generally in this forum from what I have seen, sound quality is usually prioritised. You do also prefer the sound too.

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #855 of 2,077
New video in youtube where the person is comparing the AirPods Max with the sony xm4, bose 700, b&o h9 and the h95. The reviewer is doing excellent job showing the differences in sound for the people can hearing the difference in sound. The comparison with h95 beginning at 33:35.

Is still obviously different and better when you, like me, having the 2 pairs at the same time for comparing the sound, but this video is probably giving the best option if you having only one of this headphones. I can hearing more big and clear differences when I doing this and using more different music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back