NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Sep 15, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #256 of 2,077
Hello,
This thread helped me greatly before I purchase the H95.
I am definitely not a professional nor an audiophile, however here is my review of the H95:

Sound wise:
Definitely a clear sound, while the bass are strong, it is not boomy as the Sony XM3/XM4 are without EQ changes. It seems to be my favorite ANC Bluetooth headset for the sound.

Comfort:
Yes and no. The ears are comfortable in it, the leather is great and the ears are not sweating as much as with the Sony XM4. I have a large head and the headset is at the max size. I have quite some pressure from the headband on the top of the head, not painful but I need to adjust the headset from time to time.
On the Sony XM4 or Bose QC35 I am not at the max size. With a smaller head I would say the H95 might end up very comfortable.
It is heavier than the Sony XM4, but not to the point you complain about it.

Practicality:
-You can only pair it to one device at a time, but the BT connection is good, so far I had no quality loss compared to other BT headset, I would say it is even better for the signal.
-The app works, but nothing fancy. The Sony app is way better.
-The aluminum create a great design, but… it is so fragile. You will always worry that the headset touches anything. The case is nice but too big to carry daily.
-Very good battery

Noise Cancelling:
Surprisingly very good. It competes with the Sony WH1000-XM4. And sometime is better when you play music.
I was worried about it, but I love it. I like to wear the headset without music at work. No hiss or annoying sound from the ANC.
However… if there is a bit of wind outside, it is quite bad. You will hear it a lot more than other ANC headsets.

Overall:
The sound quality is great, but at this price, better for you to test it to know if you like it.
Great design and ANC. However if I should only keep one between the Sony and the B&O, I would keep the Sony, even if I would regret the sound of the H95.
The Sony ends up better for the everyday, just cause I don’t worry about carrying it.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #257 of 2,077
Hi y‘all, while going through this thread I decided to register and add my 2 cents to the discussion.
I received my silver H95 a few days ago after ordering them through the official B&O website.

First of all I find the build quality and the case quite nice. They simply must be at that price. I was a bit disappointed with the volume and ANC dials. They feel a bit plasticky since they lack a satisfying resistance when turning them.
I’m not a fan of the grey color of the ear pads. I very much preferred the beige in older B&O models and I think I’d prefer the black model even though I’ve never seen it. I think the grey will turn smudgy instead of developing a nice patina over time.

The SonyXM3 were a big step forward over the Bose QC35s for me and so are the H95 over the Sonys. I own both the XM3 and XM4 and the H95 have a much nicer, airy soundstage. I was not impressed by the Bose 700 btw.
I don’t like the way the EQ works in the B&O iOS app. I’d prefer a traditional EQ.
The H95 can develop quite a strong bass, Philipp Glass’s Koyaanisqatsi sounds terrific with them. The organ really rumbles.
But, if too much bass is added with the dreaded EQ in the app, it can almost be too much of a good thing. So from song to song I had to adjust the bass quite often.
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is that the ear pads come loose quite easily. I once put the headphones around my neck when speaking to someone and one of the pads was detached. So I guess when being on a plane or running through the airport when not wearing them over the ears one should pay close attention not to lose those pads. I quite liked the idea of being able to easily replace the ear pads. But I think they come off too easily. And so far I never had to replace any ear pad that was made of real leather. So I think that was a nice idea that was probably much applauded on in a B&O design meeting but in real life will probably cause more harm than joy.

But the H95 sound really darn good. I like headphones that are on the warm side. My main headphones are Audeze LCD-2. So judging by sound quality the H95 are my best mobile headphones so far. I can’t compare the ANC yet since I don’t get to fly much anymore.
So in my opinion the H95 sound much nicer than my second best ones, the XM4, are nicer built than the XM4 and are more comfortable than the XM4. But are they worth more than twice the price? I’ll leave that to your disposable income.

Very good post.

Initially I having similar opinion with yours about volume and anc/ambient dials, but in my case, in particular, because I changing the volume ALL the time (you don't knowing how much!), I think the resistance is perfect (for me).

Yes! I don't understanding why sennheiser and b&o choosing gimmicky eq in their app. At least sennheiser changing recently and giving 2 options: a) old gimmicky eq and b) new eq with 3 bands (isn't perfect, 5 bands is minimum good, but is working better that the other)

About the bass adjustments, I don't using the b&o eq because is not good and I like the factory sound of the h95 very much, this is at least the good news. BUT, yes, b&o MUST changing the eq because eq is existing for a reason. If b&o wanting people with serious interest in sound taking more seriously this headphone, a decent eq is very important. BUT the reality is that many people with much money isn't interested in good sound/eq, so gimmicky eq is sufficient good probably.

Yes, I thinking similar thin about the eardpads when I trying h95 the first time. My b&w p 7 wireless offering more resistance and the pads don't coming out so easily. I still thinking that having replaceable earpads is a very good thing, even like they are in h95, because some people using too much a headphone or abusing using and damaging earpads soon, but yes, more resistance is better definitely for people moving very much and putting headphones in the neck and running / moving very quickly.

About the price, this is obviously depending in the priorities of each person. But, for majority of people paying 200-400 euros for other wireless (anc) headphones is sufficient good and the best option and obtaining many good benefits.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #258 of 2,077
Hello,
This thread helped me greatly before I purchase the H95.
I am definitely not a professional nor an audiophile, however here is my review of the H95:

Sound wise:
Definitely a clear sound, while the bass are strong, it is not boomy as the Sony XM3/XM4 are without EQ changes. It seems to be my favorite ANC Bluetooth headset for the sound.

Comfort:
Yes and no. The ears are comfortable in it, the leather is great and the ears are not sweating as much as with the Sony XM4. I have a large head and the headset is at the max size. I have quite some pressure from the headband on the top of the head, not painful but I need to adjust the headset from time to time.
On the Sony XM4 or Bose QC35 I am not at the max size. With a smaller head I would say the H95 might end up very comfortable.
It is heavier than the Sony XM4, but not to the point you complain about it.

Practicality:
-You can only pair it to one device at a time, but the BT connection is good, so far I had no quality loss compared to other BT headset, I would say it is even better for the signal.
-The app works, but nothing fancy. The Sony app is way better.
-The aluminum create a great design, but… it is so fragile. You will always worry that the headset touches anything. The case is nice but too big to carry daily.
-Very good battery

Noise Cancelling:
Surprisingly very good. It competes with the Sony WH1000-XM4. And sometime is better when you play music.
I was worried about it, but I love it. I like to wear the headset without music at work. No hiss or annoying sound from the ANC.
However… if there is a bit of wind outside, it is quite bad. You will hear it a lot more than other ANC headsets.

Overall:
The sound quality is great, but at this price, better for you to test it to know if you like it.
Great design and ANC. However if I should only keep one between the Sony and the B&O, I would keep the Sony, even if I would regret the sound of the H95.
The Sony ends up better for the everyday, just cause I don’t worry about carrying it.

Very good post too.

BUT one thing you mentioning I don't understanding very well. With h95 you can always connecting with 2 devices always, but is normal in all wireless (anc) headphones that you can ONLY using one device, then pausing and using the other device.

Edit. Sorry, isn't normal for ALL wireless (anc) headphones like I saying above. BUT is working perfectly with h95 and this 'pause and play other device' is the normal way with the majority of recent models (last 2 years) of wireless (anc) headphones AND earphones that saying they offering multi-point connections.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #259 of 2,077
I received a black H95 today. So far very impressive. I like the sound a lot (this is very subjective, so I am not going to dwell on this further...)

Excellent build quality, better than the B&W PX7 and MW65 I own. I will probably keep the PX7 and H95 and sell MW65. Let me know if anyone's interested in buying my MW65 (already listed on the for-sale forum).

It could be a bit tight for someone with a big head like me. Hopefully it loosens up over time because I love the sound.

I am not sure why people complain about H95's volume - it's comparable to the PX7 and much better than the MW65.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #260 of 2,077
I received a black H95 today. So far very impressive. I like the sound a lot (this is very subjective, so I am not going to dwell on this further...)

Excellent build quality, better than the B&W PX7 and MW65 I own. I will probably keep the PX7 and H95 and sell MW65. Let me know if anyone's interested in buying my MW65 (already listed on the for-sale forum).

It could be a bit tight for someone with a big head like me. Hopefully it loosens up over time because I love the sound.

I am not sure why people complain about H95's volume - it's comparable to the PX7 and much better than the MW65.
Why you can buy black version, but on official website is "coming soon"?

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #264 of 2,077
The next level.

I couldn't help picking these up earlier this week from a nearby B&O store. I purchased the black version. I instantly recognized that this headphone has a special sound. It sounds more open than any other ANC I have owned or tried in the past. The bass is deep and tonally correct. The midrange is supple. The highs are extended. I quickly realized that this headphone eclipsed the sound quality (not to mention comfort) of all the other BT/ANC headphones I have experienced. And to top it off, it has a volume dial...a volume dial!

I have spent the morning comparing the H95 to my Eikon, powered by Roon/RME ADI-2. And yes, they are in the same league. B&O has taken BT ANC phones to the next level - a level which necessitates comparison to wired, high-end headphones. I know of no other BT/ANC headphone that comes (remotely) close to this one. Which one do I prefer? The H95. It really is that good, bettering the Eikon in several areas. I am also glad that this thread was created, it brought to my attention the best BT/ANC headphone I have heard, and will likely, in short time, be the one against which all others will be judge.
I am curious what sources people are listening to (device, music app / streaming service). Mostly just looking at my setup and hoping to eliminate any compromises on sound quality from transcoding, etc. I’m using an iPhone and have an iTunes Library, but do my streaming on Spotify currently, and I’ve read mixed things about BT headphones on iPhone w/ Spotify.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #265 of 2,077
So far I've bought and returned or sold the DALI IO-6, Beyerdynamic Lagoon, M&D MW65, Sennheiser Momentum 3, B&W PX7, Shure AONIC 50, and Sony XM3.

Received my pair of black H95 about a week ago and have been testing them for 5-6 hours a day (Spotify via Bluetooth with ANC on, phone calls, conference calls) without adjusting the EQ. The H95 have a very open, detailed, and engaging sound with deep bass. They're enjoyable to listen to and have a little bit more oomph than my DALI IO-6 without sacrificing clarity. I've tested them across genres, from death metal to jazz to shoe gaze and hip hop, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every song. Definitely headphones I can listen to for extended periods, whereas sometimes the highs on the DALIs were a little grating after an hour.

Call quality is very good, about on par with the AONIC 50. I've tested calls outside and inside with no complaints from the other end. They've been great in conference calls on Zoom.

ANC, which is adjustable with the left knob, is excellent, only slightly behind the XM3/XM4 in my experience and much better than the MW65 and DALIs. I've tested the H95 in various environments. Transparency mode sounds fairly natural and close to that of my AirPods Pro.

No issues with connectivity. I easily pair the headphones simultaneously with my iPhone 11 Pro and MacBook Pro. I've walked around my apartment and across multiple walls without any issues.

Build quality is outstanding. These feel very polished and sturdy but they're so expensive that I've been extremely careful with them regardless. The metal case is a great addition.

Volume and ANC adjustment knobs work great. The touch controls on the right ear can be finicky but I don't really use touch controls so that doesn't bother me (EDIT: see my later post clarifying that my own clumsiness might contribute to my issues with touch controls in general).

Comfort is a mixed bag. The first 20 min or so I can feel some downward pressure from the headband but eventually I don't really notice it. The ear pads are soft and comfortable but don't entirely cover my ears. When wearing my glasses, which have a fairly thick frame, my ears can feel a little uncomfortable after an hour. I had the same problem with the other headphones I've tried, however, and I have a pretty large head.

Lastly, I can confirm angelom's experience with battery life. I fully charged them when I first got them and they still have over 20% remaining.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #266 of 2,077
Hi all - first time post here! Acquired a set of H95s today and loving the sound but wanted to check whether anyone else is having issues with thudding sounds/hearing footsteps when walking? Perhaps due to my head size I’m getting too great a seal on these which is causing it. Bit of a bummer as it’s very distracting when walking around and haven’t had that issue with other wireless cans I’ve tried (XM3s/QC35 iis, H9 3rd gen, PX and many more).

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #267 of 2,077
Why you can buy black version, but on official website is "coming soon"?

I reserved a black one and a grey on 2 days later. I got first an order link for the black one and two days later for the grey one. Seems like they got quite a huge number of reservations or they were overwhelmed by the number of orders and work off the reservation list at the moment.

btw,there is already software update for the H95

and for those who are interested Headphone and case have an impressive weight of 894 grams

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #268 of 2,077
So far I've bought and returned or sold the DALI IO-6, Beyerdynamic Lagoon, M&D MW65, Sennheiser Momentum 3, B&W PX7, Shure AONIC 50, and Sony XM3.

Received my pair of black H95 about a week ago and have been testing them for 5-6 hours a day (Spotify via Bluetooth with ANC on, phone calls, conference calls) without adjusting the EQ. The H95 have a very open, detailed, and engaging sound with deep bass. They're enjoyable to listen to and have a little bit more oomph than my DALI IO-6 without sacrificing clarity. I've tested them across genres, from death metal to jazz to shoe gaze and hip hop, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every song. Definitely headphones I can listen to for extended periods, whereas sometimes the highs on the DALIs were a little grating after an hour.

Call quality is very good, about on par with the AONIC 50. I've tested calls outside and inside with no complaints from the other end. They've been great in conference calls on Zoom.

ANC, which is adjustable with the left knob, is excellent, only slightly behind the XM3/XM4 in my experience and much better than the MW65 and DALIs. I've tested the H95 in various environments. Transparency mode sounds fairly natural and close to that of my AirPods Pro.

No issues with connectivity. I easily pair the headphones simultaneously with my iPhone 11 Pro and MacBook Pro. I've walked around my apartment and across multiple walls without any issues.

Build quality is outstanding. These feel very polished and sturdy but they're so expensive that I've been extremely careful with them regardless. The metal case is a great addition.

Volume and ANC adjustment knobs work great. The touch controls on the right ear can be finicky but I don't really use touch controls so that doesn't bother me.

Comfort is a mixed bag. The first 20 min or so I can feel some downward pressure from the headband but eventually I don't really notice it. The ear pads are soft and comfortable but don't entirely cover my ears. When wearing my glasses, which have a fairly thick frame, my ears can feel a little uncomfortable after an hour. I had the same problem with the other headphones I've tried, however, and I have a pretty large head.

Lastly, I can confirm angelom's experience with battery life. I fully charged them when I first got them and they still have over 20% remaining.

Very good post too. (Today is many impressions from new owners)

I'm very curious about your comment of "The touch controls on the right ear can be finicky". I'm asking because I don't having a problem with this (pause/play, next/previous track) and I using this features very, very much and I love that 99.9% of times is responding perfectly. I can't asking for better response really. So, my question is, what is "finicky" about this in your experience?

Hi all - first time post here! Acquired a set of H95s today and loving the sound but wanted to check whether anyone else is having issues with thudding sounds/hearing footsteps when walking? Perhaps due to my head size I’m getting too great a seal on these which is causing it. Bit of a bummer as it’s very distracting when walking around and haven’t had that issue with other wireless cans I’ve tried (XM3s/QC35 iis, H9 3rd gen, PX and many more).

I only using for 2 weeks in my home and I don't hearing noise when walking on solid floor made of marble (no carpets), or no more noise than I hearing with other wireless (anc) headphones. Maybe this is more a problem in concrete floor in the street?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #269 of 2,077

Had the same problem with the MW65 when I first got them and contacted the btw very friendly M&D support. And they were right, it disappeared after some weeksas soon as the pads got softer.

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #270 of 2,077
I only using for 2 weeks in my home and I don't hearing noise when walking on solid floor made of marble (no carpets), or no more noise than I hearing with other wireless (anc) headphones. Maybe this is more a problem in concrete floor in the street?

You're right it's only been an issue when walking outdoors - hoping to use these when out and about so hopefully the issue goes away once they get worn in more.

Had the same problem with the MW65 when I first got them and contacted the btw very friendly M&D support. And they were right, it disappeared after some weeksas soon as the pads got softer.

Thanks for this - good to hear. Let's see how it goes over the coming weeks. Will be sharing full impressions soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back