New balanced portable amp from RSA w/ DAC!
Nov 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #136 of 258
Quote:
Woohoo, it's here.

So... please let us know how it sound compared to the SR71b and ALO Rx MK3.

Indeed, because of it's 16/48 kHz limitation, I will purchase a "SOLO -dB" to be used as DAC for when I use it with my MacBook Pro, but I still may chose the Intruder for it's Amp section if the Amp is better than the AMP in the SR71b or Alo Rx MK3.

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #137 of 258
For anyone interested I asked Ray how to properly burn in The Intruder and here was his answer:

By connecting the phones to the amp & let it run day & night to get 100+ hours. No worry if it gets warm. Connect it to the charger.
When charger light is Green the battery is fully charged. No ,matter where the gain switch is.
The best you do is connect it to the computer this way both the DAC & the amp will burn at the same time.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

I also asked him about the battery charger as to how to know when it was full and his answer was included there also.
I am following his advice now...so far so good.  I have it connected up on Windows 7 using Foobar 2000.

THANKS Ray!

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #138 of 258
Quote:
For anyone interested I asked Ray how to properly burn in The Intruder and here was his answer:

By connecting the phones to the amp & let it run day & night to get 100+ hours. No worry if it gets warm. Connect it to the charger.
When charger light is Green the battery is fully charged. No ,matter where the gain switch is.
The best you do is connect it to the computer this way both the DAC & the amp will burn at the same time.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

I also asked him about the battery charger as to how to know when it was full and his answer was included there also.
I am following his advice now...so far so good.  I have it connected up on Windows 7 using Foobar 2000.

THANKS Ray!

is that playing music with the phone with amp. right?

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #139 of 258
I also wanted to address the comment mentioned above about the 16/48 kHz limitation in this thread - that may be - I haven't seen any posted specs - but I thought I should mention that I am listening to my HDTracks via Foobar 2000 and all I had to do was set to output at 16/48 and I have no problems playing hi rez material (I know it is down sampled) through The Intruder.  It sounds great.  I don't know if there is fear that hi rez cannot be played through The Intruder - that is not the case, you will just need to setup your software to connect at the proper resolution.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #140 of 258
Quote:
is that playing music with the phone with amp. right?

I think you are asking about this part "By connecting the phones" 
That isn't what he was saying - he was saying to connect my headphones - so there is a load on the amp.  I am sure you can connect any source you want, just make sure you connect headphones or IEMs to provide the load on the amp.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #141 of 258
Quote:
I also wanted to address the comment mentioned above about the 16/48 kHz limitation in this thread - that may be - I haven't seen any posted specs - but I thought I should mention that I am listening to my HDTracks via Foobar 2000 and all I had to do was set to output at 16/48 and I have no problems playing hi rez material (I know it is down sampled) through The Intruder.  It sounds great.  I don't know if there is fear that hi rez cannot be played through The Intruder - that is not the case, you will just need to setup your software to connect at the proper resolution.

Listening to downsampled HDtracks is like driving a Ferrari at 30mph 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #144 of 258
So... how does it sound compared to the ALO Rx Mk3 and the SR71b ?  At least for the AMP part ?   

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #145 of 258
Quote:
Listening to downsampled HDtracks is like driving a Ferrari at 30mph 
biggrin.gif

That is so you can see the smile on my face
atsmile.gif

Quote:
Of course, some hi res tracks are just souped up Pintos.

YES! Totally agree on this one. 
OK back on track here - I have about 60 hrs burn in and it keeps opening up - I think I will let it burn all weekend I want to get over 100+ ASAP.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #146 of 258
Quote:
That is so you can see the smile on my face
atsmile.gif

YES! Totally agree on this one. 
OK back on track here - I have about 60 hrs burn in and it keeps opening up - I think I will let it burn all weekend I want to get over 100+ ASAP.

Yes! I'm also processing the burning about 50 hours.  The results are great!!

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #147 of 258
Question will be: when listening High-Res track, is there a significant audible advantage using a 24/192 capable DAC like the SOLO -dB to feed it instead of it's 16/48 internal DAC ...

This 16/48 is really à concern because adding à SOLO -dB Will double the cost and bulk of the solution to carry With my Mac Book air

Also i am VERY interested to know if, With the SOLO, the Intruder will sound better than the ALO Rx MK3 or SR 71b

Also can you tell me what is the voltage needed to recharge it ?

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #149 of 258
Other question: does it's DAC works OK With an IPad+CCK ?

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #150 of 258
Quote:
I dont have the Sr-71B nor the Mk-3B, but to my ears, the Intruder didnt sound much better than the Protector. Ray does a really good job in keeping the same sound signature all over his products.

I did and wrote my Rx Mk3/SR-71b review in the Rx Mk3 thread a few months back. To be fair, when I wrote that I had SE IEMs. Since then I did have balanced IEMs and felt the improvements weren't dramatic. Only recently when I picked up the CLAS -dB and tried balanced backend IC to the SR-71b (my CLAS -dB+balanced ICs have a "temporary fix" to the out-of-phase problem) that the SR-71b started to perform to my satisfaction. Otherwise for pretty much the whole year I've owned the SR-71b, I was underwhelmed.

Note that my whole listening experience may change if I did the tests with high impedance full-sized cans. I only own IEMs and easy-to-drive cans (like TH-900).

Which reminds me, I was supposed to pass my SR-71b to Ray to look at when he was in Tokyo, got busy and missed the opportunity.

Aside: Although most of RSA's products have a similar signature, to me the one that stands out for me is the Predator. I do really like the amp-side of that product (but not so keen on the USB DAC side).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back