New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!!
Dec 11, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #91 of 215

My set has approximately 125 hours now and I am very happy with the improvements.  I've had headphones in which burn-in seems to do nothing...however the ESW9LTD is not one of them.  They sound so spacious and effortless now for a smaller portable can...but most noticeably the bass has fleshed out nicely. 

It still has much less bass then my recabled ESW9A's...but the bass is improving in presence and impact.  Now my regular ESW9A's seems congested with slightly less clarity, and bass that is loose and too much.

My only complaint is that the ESW9LTD doesn't seem as dynamic at lower volumes.  As I raise the volume just beyond my normal listening threshold, they really begin to bloom and fill out.  This is the same when fed by either my DX100 or SR71b...neither of which are slouches on amping power. 

Hi wolfen,

Thanks for your update. I'm glad to hear the extra burn-in time has produced noticeable improvements. A friend of mine just got his pair and I'll be visiting him over the holiday, so I'll get a chance to do some listening before I pull the trigger. 

Micro dynamics are often a product of the source component, not just the amplification. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #93 of 215
Compulsivity won over, pulled trigger.

I ... keep ... holding ... out ... until I hear them at my friend's in another 10 days. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #94 of 215
  Micro dynamics are often a product of the source component, not just the amplification. 
wink_face.gif

The DX100 onboard DAC is pretty good, but using it as a digital transport to my DB-1 --> SR71b pretty much insures any micro dynamics the ESW9LTD is able to render will be getting through to the headphone.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #95 of 215

The DX100 onboard DAC is pretty good, but using it as a digital transport to my DB-1 --> SR71b pretty much insures any micro dynamics the ESW9LTD is able to render will be getting through to the headphone.

understand. I'll be careful to note the quality of micro dynamics when I listen to my friend's pair later this month ...

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #97 of 215
Dec 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #99 of 215
Reposting this here:

ES10 very v shape and strong emphasis on bass.

esw9 warm

esw10jpn very detailed and more analytical than 9 but a lot clearer and more defined

esw11ltd fuller sound than all above and more airy and balanced than es10. Not as detailed sounding as esw10 but fullness gives more depth in ways. 

esw9 lags behind but still has a sweet warm sound. Es10 good for outside, more isolation than others but sounds a little claustrophobic and inclosed due to it. Esw10jpn is great but can be a bit edgy. Esw11ltd overall no minuses except that i'm not thrilled with the wood color, a bit bland.

All are great though, i love this series and own all of the above, waiting for esw9ltdAll are used regularly (except the es10 lately) and have their own beauty in their own ways. Every time I'm wearing one i think, this is the best.

That's my take…...

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #101 of 215
I'll looking forward to my impressions too. It hasn't even shipped yet(probably this afternoon) but i am already frothing. Waiting for customs is always brutal. It's a coin toss, sometimes a day or two, sometimes over a week. At least it is not like Europe where it is like a month…….omg, i'd have a nervous breakdown if i lived over there. Or learn patience, which is up there with moderations…...
wink_face.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #102 of 215
I bought a used pair a few weeks ago. Didn't like them at all the first couple of hours listening, felt really congested. However, I gave it time and either it opened up, or more likely, I got used to it after only using IEMs for a while. Amazing with female vocals, the best I've ever heard there.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #104 of 215
A used pair a few weeks ago? They were only released three and a half weeks ago….?

I think I saw a used pair of ESW9Ltd being sold on e-earphone.jp like a week or so after its release date. The same happen to many just-released audio products though. If buyers don't like their purchases, they don't seem too hesitate to sell them quickly.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #105 of 215
@dallan
I can't wait for your impressions. I sold all my ATH woodies, except for the ESW11LTD, which I absolutely adore.
But I only have ESW11LTD for reference now, and I couldn't find any comparison review of ESW9LTD with the ESW11LTD.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back