New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!!
Nov 24, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #48 of 215

Unboxing tomorrow! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #50 of 215
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #51 of 215
I saw several Japanese vendors on eBay selling these for $500-$550. Since the initial release notes stated these would retail for $400, I kind of expected the devaluing yen would give us US buyers a good pricing opportunity. 
blink.gif

I agree they look better than earlier photos I've seen but I wish they still had a reddish finish like the ESW9s or the ESW10s.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #52 of 215

Oh my. Those are gorgeous, much better than the stock photo. Tempted to buy them -- is PriceJapan the best option for those of us in the US?

I ordered from PriceJapan for a total shipped cost of $437 US.  I have no idea if I will be hit with a customs charge or not.

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #53 of 215
As far as surpra-aurals go, they have a nice, and typical ESW presentation with plenty of bass kick. Mids are on the darker side with a treble peak somewhere. There is naturally some congestion, but vocals are very nice, albeit slightly harsh once the volume is turned up. So, fairly typical AT, but with a bit more refinement than usual. Mind you, I'm using a Hugo and don't have the stock ESW9 to compare. 

What killed it for me when I had a long-term loaner of ESW10JPNs from a friend was the lack of isolation when out-and-about. Just about everything else on the market completely nails isolation (DT1350s, Amperiors, etc.) and is built to last.

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #54 of 215
I've been listening with these over the last few days and they are (for me at least) absolutely awesome.  Being supra-aural they tend to get a bit congested-sounding if the volume is turned up too much, which limits their clarity, but they have just the right amount of bass kick and everything else seems to be spot-on sonically. Their W1000Z big brothers have not fared so well. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #55 of 215
  I've been listening with these over the last few days and they are (for me at least) absolutely awesome.  Being supra-aural they tend to get a bit congested-sounding if the volume is turned up too much, which limits their clarity, but they have just the right amount of bass kick and everything else seems to be spot-on sonically. Their W1000Z big brothers have not fared so well. 

Currawong, 
You have had the esw10jpn for extended as stated. I just acquired a pair and am wondering, through the dim memory of sound, if the sound is similar  between them. Probably i will have to wait till the Canjam to compare if i can sit on my hands that long of course. Just curious. The 10's to me sound a little on the analytical side but i still enjoy them with their detail and clarity.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #56 of 215
@dallan It wouldn't surprise me if these LTDs aren't much different from the 10s in sound. I'm pretty sure I went through a similar period with the 10JPNs where I spent a lot of time at home listening with them before finally deciding not to keep them. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #58 of 215

you're not helping my wallet here, currawong! 
biggrin.gif

I'm still recovering from my Hugo purchase and the accompanying cables ...

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #59 of 215
I see the price has dropped to $414 shipped via EMS from Price Japan. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger but I believe we may still see some more devaluation of the yen before the end of the year ...

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #60 of 215
Hi currawong,

Do you have any sense of the build quality being any better than the ESW9s which I own and love?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back