New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Apr 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #722 of 958
I have no idea what the EQ's or the general sound is like on the Galaxy. I have an iPhone and found EQ apps that are much better than the EQ presets that come stock with the phone. Maybe have a look around the Google Play store and see what apps you can find to help you modify the sound. Equalizer apps and such. If those can't help, and you are unhappy with the M50, I 'd suggest returning them if you can and looking for something different.

Most people on here are going to suggest you get a portable amp. It's another expenditure and another thing you gotta lug around with you, but it may help you get the sound you want out of them, or at least closer.

Ok stranger still... I put on the cans to listen to them after about an hour and everything sounded great. After a while to, the bass seemed to petter off and lose its pronounced definition. I tested this with the same song and there was a notable difference. Are my ears just adjusting to the bass and getting rid of it, or is there something else going on that I don't know about.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #723 of 958
Ok stranger still... I put on the cans to listen to them after about an hour and everything sounded great. After a while to, the bass seemed to petter off and lose its pronounced definition. I tested this with the same song and there was a notable difference. Are my ears just adjusting to the bass and getting rid of it, or is there something else going on that I don't know about.

Bass in closed back headphones is largely dependent on how well the pads seal around your ears. Were you listening to them while laying down or something? Sometimes just the fact you're laying down will change the seal, or even how you have the headband sitting.

Your ears could also be adjusting. Sometimes I don't realize just how much bass the M50 has until I listen to a headphone that doesn't have much for awhile. Then I go back to the M50 and it's like WOW what a difference. Your perception of sound has a lot to do with what you have been accustomed to hearing. If you listen to things with extreme amounts of bass in general, your threshold for bass is way up there, and you will have to get something with at least as much bass to satisfy you.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #724 of 958
Coming from Audeze LCD-2F, bass is just fine on M50x... I like the weight and impact, first I thought it was a bit overpowering (compared to Audeze!), but I quickly got used to it.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #725 of 958
I find the bass a bit laid-back on my phone. Strange, because when I tried other units (eg at stores) they seemed to have a tad bit more sub-bass. Then again it may just be placebo or because I burned these in heavily (left Random Access Memories playing on iPad overnight). On my laptop the sub-bass was quite jaw-dropping at first but now it seems more balanced.

It's true amping is not as essential for the M50x but it does make a slight difference. With most gear (phone, iPad, laptop etc) I think the M50x is a bit metallic and thick in the highs, similar to my Panasonic HTX7 but not as hollow sounding to the point it significantly interferes with the mids. Using the Fiio E10K however, the highs seem far less metallic and more thin and defined.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #726 of 958
Hi all, i'm new here.
I've owned the M40x, loved it's sound signature, the ATH's smooth mid-range, but i sold it because the treble peak is fatiguing me and i'd like more bass.

I just read the whole topic and heard people said the improvements compared to M50 (had the 10KHz treble peak). 

So, does the M50x is suitable for me?
I prefer smooth, clean & clear mid range which perform female vocal well; fun bass because i listen to EDM; 'soft'/'controlled treble' which isn't fatiguing or sibilance too much. 

Correct me if i have grammar mistakes. English isn't my native :)

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #727 of 958
  So, does the M50x is suitable for me?
I prefer smooth, clean & clear mid range which perform female vocal well; fun bass because i listen to EDM; 'soft'/'controlled treble' which isn't fatiguing or sibilance too much. 

I found M50x amazingly smooth for the price... I can have them on for hours, they're fun and engaging without any sibilance and fatigue.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #728 of 958
Bought M50x and used it for 20 hr.  The bass is overpowering and not controlled, mid is recessed and treble is not smooth. Liking my havi b3 pro I more than this and there is actually no comparison. Please guide me to improve my m50x. Should I burn it or apply any mod?

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #730 of 958
I do like bass, the bass on havi is little less than my liking and more on m50x. I was using ATH Im50 before havi and HD 203 before m50x. The uncontrolled bass, recessed mid and harsh treble on m50x is what I am not liking.   

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #731 of 958
Now initially I wasn’t as excited about the M50x because the initial reviews suggested that it would not be that much different from the M50.
But recently Tyll over at Innerfidelity did a review of the M50X and he found with his measurements and his own listening that they have improved the sound.
Some of the tolerance, some of the actual technical aspects of the sound with the M50x.
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #732 of 958
  I do like bass, the bass on havi is little less than my liking and more on m50x. I was using ATH Im50 before havi and HD 203 before m50x. The uncontrolled bass, recessed mid and harsh treble on m50x is what I am not liking.   

Give it some time first - I thought the sub-bass was massive and the soundstage a bit small, but it seems to have relaxed and the soundstage opened up since. To burn them in I left Daft Punk Random Access Memories playing at maximum volume on my iPad overnight.

Of course, the M50x sound isn't gonna appeal to everyone.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #733 of 958
Bought M50x and used it for 20 hr.  The bass is overpowering and not controlled, mid is recessed and treble is not smooth. Liking my havi b3 pro I more than this and there is actually no comparison. Please guide me to improve my m50x. Should I burn it or apply any mod?
u should let it burn in. My M50x sounds nothing like that. An u should remember that the M50x is relatively cheap

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #734 of 958
I love my M50x even compared to 10x more expensive LCD-2F. If they sound that bad - something is really off in your system...

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #735 of 958
I love my M50x even compared to 10x more expensive LCD-2F. If they sound that bad - something is really off in your system...

+1 well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back