New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jun 6, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #752 of 958
I have a question here: I have bought the M50x and I like them. I had the M4U 2 before which to my very untrained ears do sound a bit better BUT the batteries are getting on my nerves and they are very uncomfortable when NOT on my ears. Having them in rest-position is a no go for me.
So in the M50x came and I like the sound no doubt about it. BUT now I have issues with the cable and here is my question:

Is there a replacement cable that is not too long (NOT longer then the shortest original 1,2 m could be even shorter) AND that has an angled plug on the player side? I use the headphone with an MP3 player which is sitting sideways in my bag. An angled plug is kind of custial. Any thoughts? An adapter for the headphone side, so that I could use ANY cable would be nice too, but I will be content if I only can have the angled plug on the player side.

Sorry for the complicated wording: Engish AND Tech is not my first language.

Ilkyway

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #753 of 958
Just sold my Viso HP50's due to comfort and build issues and ordered these in dark green. Very nervous!!

Don't be nervous, these headphones are amazing and the build quality is top notch. In my opinion they are more comfortable than the ad700x/900x line and those are supposed to be the most comfortable headphones. I have a very large head (size 8 fitted hat) and these are extremely comfortable after I stretched the headband out for about 3-4 seconds.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #754 of 958
Don't be nervous, these headphones are amazing and the build quality is top notch. In my opinion they are more comfortable than the ad700x/900x line and those are supposed to be the most comfortable headphones. I have a very large head (size 8 fitted hat) and these are extremely comfortable after I stretched the headband out for about 3-4 seconds.

Cheers mate - glad to be rid of the NAD's to be honest. My ears just did not fit comfortably inside the cups. Loved the sound signature however. I'm aware the 50X's will be more aggressive and that's fine as the NAD's were a little laid back particularly in the treble region.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #755 of 958
Cheers mate - glad to be rid of the NAD's to be honest. My ears just did not fit comfortably inside the cups. Loved the sound signature however. I'm aware the 50X's will be more aggressive and that's fine as the NAD's were a little laid back particularly in the treble region.

lol. i think the ath-m50x may have smaller earcups and shallower earpads from what i rmb. you can get brainwavz earpads though if it ends up being too shallow

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #757 of 958
if any owners of the m50x or hp50 cld measure the earcup height, width, and depth and add it to this thread, it wld be extremely helpful for ppl asking this sort of question. http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones/0_20

I distinctly remember having slight comfort issues w both but i totally forgot to measure them myself. however, this product resolves the issue completely: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO

also available in memory foam pleather and xl sizd memory foam pleather. i personally prefer the feel of velour.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #758 of 958
  I have a question here: I have bought the M50x and I like them. I had the M4U 2 before which to my very untrained ears do sound a bit better BUT the batteries are getting on my nerves and they are very uncomfortable when NOT on my ears. Having them in rest-position is a no go for me.
So in the M50x came and I like the sound no doubt about it. BUT now I have issues with the cable and here is my question:

Is there a replacement cable that is not too long (NOT longer then the shortest original 1,2 m could be even shorter) AND that has an angled plug on the player side? I use the headphone with an MP3 player which is sitting sideways in my bag. An angled plug is kind of custial. Any thoughts? An adapter for the headphone side, so that I could use ANY cable would be nice too, but I will be content if I only can have the angled plug on the player side.

Sorry for the complicated wording: Engish AND Tech is not my first language.

Ilkyway

Look on ebay for Sennheiser HD598 headphone cables. It uses the same 2.5mm locking plug on the headphone side. There are many aftermarket cables for these. Not many are shorter than 1.2m. 1m is on the short side. Also, why not cut the plug off of your cable and solder on a plug like this? http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NTP3RC-B-3-5mm-Right-Angle/dp/B000BDDOP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433689487&sr=8-1&keywords=+%09+NTP3RC-B

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #759 of 958
lol. i think the ath-m50x may have smaller earcups and shallower earpads from what i rmb. you can get brainwavz earpads though if it ends up being too shallow

They sure as hell are!! Still, as you suggested some Brainwavz Earpads will sort that I hope. One thing I did notice straight off the bat is the build quality. They just felt very solid compared to the NAD's. I'll have a better play with them later but out of the box they sound very good. No regrets.

I have been spoilt with regard to comfort. The Denon D600's are akin to resting your ears on a lovely pair of Bristol Cities.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #760 of 958
  They sure as hell are!! Still, as you suggested some Brainwavz Earpads will sort that I hope. One thing I did notice straight off the bat is the build quality. They just felt very solid compared to the NAD's. I'll have a better play with them later but out of the box they sound very good. No regrets.

I have been spoilt with regard to comfort. The Denon D600's are akin to resting your ears on a lovely pair of Bristol Cities.

Niice! if no regrets then get the brainwavz pads, they greatly improve comfort. though I haven't tried them on the ATH-M50x particularly but rather the K553 (which was quite the stretch, but still worked, so shouldn't be an issue getting it to work on the M50x).

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #762 of 958
  I have heard the velour pads change the sounds, so beware of this.

that is possible and some people do say significant sonic changes (usually along the lines of less bloated bass and sharper treble). I've done my own personal testing and could not always readily identify any large sonic changes. If there are differences, they are probably quite subtle in my opinion. ymmv of course

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #763 of 958
  I have heard the velour pads change the sounds, so beware of this.

Cheers. I will more than likely grab the pleather pads. Very impressed with this headphones sound signature and build quality. Took me awhile to adjust to the NAD's but these sounded right pretty much straight away. I'll probably regret selling the NAD's but it wasn't the gamble I thought it would be. Should have got these originally and saved a few dollars instead of losing a few.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back