New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jul 23, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #781 of 958
  Hi all is the cup pads size bigger on the M50x then on M40x? Or is it the same.

Thanks!

M40x uses the same size pads as the M50x.
The pads discussed with respect to M50x all fit M40x, M30x, and M20x as well.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #782 of 958
I've just fitted Sure 840 ear pads to my M50Xs. Straightforward and tight enough if not quite as tight as the originals.

Maybe I have big ears but the originals were too small and therefore uncomfortable.

My instant reaction on change was 'wow'. I seems to have opened up the sound and made them more balanced while still retaining the fun aspect. Could the added volume do this?

I Use FiiO X5ii and an E12, mainly rock but a whole wide range of music (but no Country).

I also have HD598's and HD280 Pro's and I love these now they're comfy.

Peter

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #783 of 958
The increase in volume of air being moved between the drivers and your ears?  Yes.  The stock earpads' openings are too small.

Aug 17, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #786 of 958
Has anyone had problems with mismatched balanced between the drivers.  I've recently had 2 sets of the ath m50x, one of the 2015 "DG" special editions (i much prefer the original design) and one pair of the original black m50x.  Both seem to have this problem.  

The DG's left driver was louder in general and had more bass than the right - I think these are actually faulty and have sent them back.

When testing the original black one using this http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php the headphone matching test clearly pans right and then left in the higher frequencies. I've done the obvious switching the sides of the drivers and the panning changes sides.  I'm going to take these back as well, but was wondering if I was just being too fussy.  I'm fairly new to audiophile type stuff but have seen how well regarded Audio Technica are.  Is a bit of mismatching normal or have i just been unlucky twice?

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #787 of 958
  Has anyone had problems with mismatched balanced between the drivers.  I've recently had 2 sets of the ath m50x, one of the 2015 "DG" special editions (i much prefer the original design) and one pair of the original black m50x.  Both seem to have this problem.  

The DG's left driver was louder in general and had more bass than the right - I think these are actually faulty and have sent them back.

When testing the original black one using this http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php the headphone matching test clearly pans right and then left in the higher frequencies. I've done the obvious switching the sides of the drivers and the panning changes sides.  I'm going to take these back as well, but was wondering if I was just being too fussy.  I'm fairly new to audiophile type stuff but have seen how well regarded Audio Technica are.  Is a bit of mismatching normal or have i just been unlucky twice?

I have not had this problem. What are you using for the test, your ears or an SPL meter or microphone?

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #788 of 958
I just used my ears.  The DG's were clearly biased, the black original just sounded odd, off and there was a kind of difference in pressure on the right side which is hard to describe but wasn't down to the fit of the pads.  Thats when i tried the driver balance test and noticed the panning. I wasnt sure if this was a fault tho, but seeing that yours didn't do this I took them back., After some discussion they used the above site to check and they were found broken.  Guess I was just unlucky twice.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #789 of 958
  I just used my ears.  The DG's were clearly biased, the black original just sounded odd, off and there was a kind of difference in pressure on the right side which is hard to describe but wasn't down to the fit of the pads.  Thats when i tried the driver balance test and noticed the panning. I wasnt sure if this was a fault tho, but seeing that yours didn't do this I took them back., After some discussion they used the above site to check and they were found broken.  Guess I was just unlucky twice.

Did you get another pair? If so, how are they?

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #790 of 958
Someone posted a video a while back showing that the lower midrange of the M50x is imbalanced and that you could use an equalizer to calibrate this section, so I think a bit of mismatch in this region is normal. It is not a drastic difference though it may be more apparent in some units than others. Using the driver-matching sine wave on Audiocheck I do notice some panning in the midrange but it seems to level off at the top. Part of it could be my DAC as well (Fiio E10K)

When I demo'd some other units long after I bought mine, I thought they had more sub-bass, but then it might have been because mine were heavily burned-in.

What's your source? Some DACs may have some imbalance as well.

Sometimes I think mine is a bit heavier on the right but when I flip around I don't hear much difference, so it may just be my ear's tuning or the seal. Try not to OCD as it just makes things worse - ended up ruining my IM70s from that.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #791 of 958
I got a third set, small amount of panning around the middle when I've tried the audio check test, but they sound fine when music plays through them.  I'm guessing that some inbalance is normal, at least at this price range.  I did the test on a couple of other sets, grado sr80's and the over ear momentums, both pan a small bit but not as much as the M50x's.  I tried a few different sources, nothing special, just through my mobile and couple of computers and they all did the same thing.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #792 of 958
  I got a third set, small amount of panning around the middle when I've tried the audio check test, but they sound fine when music plays through them.  I'm guessing that some inbalance is normal, at least at this price range.  I did the test on a couple of other sets, grado sr80's and the over ear momentums, both pan a small bit but not as much as the M50x's.  I tried a few different sources, nothing special, just through my mobile and couple of computers and they all did the same thing.

I wouldn't worry about it. I tried 4 pairs and they are were good.

I do love the binaural test. The knocking is the most realistic sound in a headphone I have heard. Scrared the crap out me it was so good.

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #794 of 958
I just received mine like 2 weeks ago and I love them, I only wish they had an mic for gaming....but thats why mod mic exists...

This little contraption, called the Boompro by V-MODA should be able to help you out:
http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/
   It is like the mod mic, except it actually hooks into the 3.5mm jack on headphones that have detachable cables. The only thing is it might not fit in headphones that have special locking mechanisms..And I'm not sure if the M50x has such a mechanism.

Have any of you M50x users tried the Boompro with your cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back