New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Feb 19, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #706 of 958
  Maybe I misunderstand what people mean by "Sound Stage" but I find it strange why everyone seems to think that it is really bad on these. I do a lot of gaming and it seems like these are some of the best I have used for being able to locate where a sound is coming from. I certainly think they do a better job than Grado 80s, DT 770, V6 and DT 770 Pros that I have had. Maybe because these seem to do great job with the "separation" of sound.

I think people mean the dimension (width, depth, height) of sound not the separation. They separate well but they sound a bit closed - it's good but only average. My IM70 has a wider soundstage.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #707 of 958
Space is a little constrained, but the spatial cues are good. U can hear where an instrument is clearly coming from, but how far away it is can be hard to tell

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #708 of 958
Has anyone tried these cables for the M50x? Do they change the sound quality? For better or worse? I'd really like to have an in-line mic for mine, but not at the cost of sound quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Technica-ATH-M50x-ATH-M40x-headphones/dp/B00NUJ4MLQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425408991&sr=8-2&keywords=m50x+cable

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #709 of 958
Looks just like the this cable I got off Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/201177751294?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=500377945383&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT unfortunately the volume controls don't work with my android phone but they do work on my IPad and the the answer button works with my android phone.

Everyone says the mic sounds great and I don't hear a noticeable change in sound with my headphones.

The cable is a little thinner than the stock cable and has a very rubbery feel but overall I'm impressed with the quality and would recommend to to any one that has the m40x, m50x or even the new m70x

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #710 of 958
Got the Fiio E10K as my laptop's headphone jack broke (a real bummer as the DAC was quite decent and there was a built-in headphone amp). The thickness in the highs is gone, while treble seems overall more detailed, peaked but a bit thin. The bass is not as boomy and a bit tighter.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #711 of 958
My computer's bass is severely deficient, lacking a lot of extension and the stereo image is very narrow

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #712 of 958
Just got my M50x. First impressions, powered from my Bifrost/A2 stack on Low Gain - to be honest, for a $150 closed can they sound darn good! Even compared to $1000 LCD-2F. Tad overpowering on bass and a little metallic edge on treble, but really great and balanced sound overall with good separation and decent sound stage. I already feel this is going to be my second favorite can after Audeze.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #713 of 958
Just got my M50x. First impressions, powered from my Bifrost/A2 stack on Low Gain - to be honest, for a $150 closed can they sound darn good! Even compared to $1000 LCD-2F. Tad overpowering on bass and a little metallic edge on treble, but really great and balanced sound overall with good separation and decent sound stage. I already feel this is going to be my second favorite can after Audeze.

+1. The ATH-m50x's were my first headphone, and I still use them as my portable headphone rig. My father heard them and he went out and got a pair. He loved the bass in them lol. The ATH-m50x's are sometimes underrated, but are good for the money.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #714 of 958
+1. The ATH-m50x's were my first headphone, and I still use them as my portable headphone rig. My father heard them and he went out and got a pair. He loved the bass in them lol. The ATH-m50x's are sometimes underrated, but are good for the money.

They're terrific value, I think almost everyone agrees on that.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #715 of 958
Is there anyone can test MSR7 earpads for M50x/M50? Yesterday I'm listened to M50 for few minutes. MSR7 earpads make M50 vocal more forward, but I can't confirmed if there is a difference on the treble. No difference at the bass. And make M50 looks better IMO

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #716 of 958
MSR7 pads have a bigger opening, so you will get more more forward mids, less closed-in and forward treble.  Even Sony V6/7506 pads do that.  Same thing with HM5 pads.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #718 of 958
I'm really not hearing the great bass everyone's talking about. I just started listening and it's not really all thaT impressive to me.

You have to keep in mind they are aimed at studio professionals. They are not supposed to have exagerated bass. They have a lot of bass and it's fuller than many other studio cans. If you want absolute bass cannons there are other alternatives.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #719 of 958
You have to keep in mind they are aimed at studio professionals. They are not supposed to have exagerated bass. They have a lot of bass and it's fuller than many other studio cans. If you want absolute bass cannons there are other alternatives.

Ok so I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I'm listening on my galaxy s5, and when I'm listening normally the mids and highs sound phenomenal but the bass sounds only slightly better than the 20$ sony headphones ive just replaced with these. I tried turning the bass up in the little sound controller thing that's in the phone and it made everything sounds muddy, with only very slight improvements in the base. I then tried putting it on virtual surround and everything sounded absolutely stunning, except the virtual sound stage killed a little of the clarity and the vocals were drowned in the other sounds.

I haven't had the chance to test them on anything other than my phone just yet, but in the meantime does anyone have any clue wth is going on?

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #720 of 958
Ok so I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I'm listening on my galaxy s5, and when I'm listening normally the mids and highs sound phenomenal but the bass sounds only slightly better than the 20$ sony headphones ive just replaced with these. I tried turning the bass up in the little sound controller thing that's in the phone and it made everything sounds muddy, with only very slight improvements in the base. I then tried putting it on virtual surround and everything sounded absolutely stunning, except the virtual sound stage killed a little of the clarity and the vocals were drowned in the other sounds.

I haven't had the chance to test them on anything other than my phone just yet, but in the meantime does anyone have any clue wth is going on?

I have no idea what the EQ's or the general sound is like on the Galaxy. I have an iPhone and found EQ apps that are much better than the EQ presets that come stock with the phone. Maybe have a look around the Google Play store and see what apps you can find to help you modify the sound. Equalizer apps and such. If those can't help, and you are unhappy with the M50, I 'd suggest returning them if you can and looking for something different.

Most people on here are going to suggest you get a portable amp. It's another expenditure and another thing you gotta lug around with you, but it may help you get the sound you want out of them, or at least closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back