New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Feb 11, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #676 of 958
Don't know if they are genuine or not, but they aren't an authorized AT dealer, so you won't have a warranty.  AT is a stickler about this, they specify a number of non-autohorized dealers on their website, saying they won't warranty these purchases.  Amazng Deals is one of them.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #677 of 958
Don't know if they are genuine or not, but they aren't an authorized AT dealer, so you won't have a warranty.  AT is a stickler about this, they specify a number of non-autohorized dealers on their website, saying they won't warranty these purchases.  Amazng Deals is one of them.

I just located that site you are referring to and amazing deals is not on that list at all. Can you provide a link to the information you're seeing as I might be looking at the wrong site.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #678 of 958
Did anyone else order the m50x from Amazon with the code m50xdeals from amazing deals fulfilled by Amazon? Mine are coming on Thursday and I am now concerned that these might be fake. Any help would be appreciated.

I bought the old m50s from 'Amazing Deals Online' and they were definitely fakes. I opened them up to confirm before returning them.

Not sure about the m50x though. I suggest only purchasing them from an authorized seller

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #679 of 958
I just located that site you are referring to and amazing deals is not on that list at all. Can you provide a link to the information you're seeing as I might be looking at the wrong site.

Sorry, I was mistaken.  They are on Sennheiser's list of unauthorized resellers, not AT's.  I had searched the list for both companies as I've recently purchased both AT's and Senn's and recognized the name as being on the list, but was mistaken about which manufacturer. However, AT does give a list of sellers for whom they honor the warranty and Amazing Deals isn't on it.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

If it were me, I'd stick to authorized sellers, as there is very little difference in price.  I paid 135 for my m50x from an authorized dealer, with an on-line coupon.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #680 of 958
A few threads back someone did mention ADO has fake M50x. They said it was very similar to the real thing, except that the box is loose, different leather for the earpads vs the headband and a channel imbalance . Other people said they got fake Fiio players from ADO.

As for me, I bought them from a small headphone store in Taiwan at the NOVA computer shopping plaza (which closed in December :frowning2:).

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #681 of 958
Yea I hear a lot of conflicting reports as they say they are an authorized seller and full warranty comes with the unit. Also I've read that amazing deals is actually outlook acquisitions which is butterfly photo who is an authorized dealer. I am going to email audio technica when they come in with the serial number and purchase info and if they are not legit I will return. Thanks for all of the replies I will keep the thread updated with that info as soon as I get it.

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #682 of 958
Yea I hear a lot of conflicting reports as they say they are an authorized seller and full warranty comes with the unit. Also I've read that amazing deals is actually outlook acquisitions which is butterfly photo who is an authorized dealer. I am going to email audio technica when they come in with the serial number and purchase info and if they are not legit I will return. Thanks for all of the replies I will keep the thread updated with that info as soon as I get it.

Well, any new product will come with the warranty card.  Whether the manufacturer accepts is valid depends on if the seller is authorized or not, and that will be determined by the seller ID on the invoice.   I would only trust what AT has to say about it, not the seller.  I doubt they are fakes (though I did a get a fake Xaomi Piston IEM from an amazon seller), but even if authentic AT won't warranty them unless its an authorized seller.  AT has had some problems with counterfeits, as many manufacturers do.

BTW, why the heck does that seller go by so many different names?  That in itself would bother me.  Its not a gigantic investment though so if they sound good and no obvious identifiers as non-authentic, you probably are fine.  These phones are tough, and I doubt you would need the warranty anyway.  As long as you understand the risk.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #683 of 958
I'm looking to use my set on my PS4 with the vmoda boom mic.
I've looked at some 2.5 to 3.5 trss adapters for the mic but the consensus is pretty mixed.

Has anyone personally tried one with working mic input?

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #684 of 958
  Well, any new product will come with the warranty card.  Whether the manufacturer accepts is valid depends on if the seller is authorized or not, and that will be determined by the seller ID on the invoice.   I would only trust what AT has to say about it, not the seller.  I doubt they are fakes (though I did a get a fake Xaomi Piston IEM from an amazon seller), but even if authentic AT won't warranty them unless its an authorized seller.  AT has had some problems with counterfeits, as many manufacturers do.

BTW, why the heck does that seller go by so many different names?  That in itself would bother me.  Its not a gigantic investment though so if they sound good and no obvious identifiers as non-authentic, you probably are fine.  These phones are tough, and I doubt you would need the warranty anyway.  As long as you understand the risk.

I honestly don't care about the warranty as 120 is very very cheap, I just care about me actually hearing the m50x as they are ment to be heard from a authentic m50x headphone. If they break I would but them again, I just want to make sure I am actually experiencing the headphone the way it was ment to be experienced. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #685 of 958
Really the only 100 percent fool proof way to do that is to buy from an authorized seller. Chances are you're getting a legitimate pair, but I imagine it is possible their are some fakes or seconds floating around. I only paid 5 dollars more and bought from an authorized seller. I think the sale is over, and they had 15 percent off the sale price at the time. I bought mine from Austin bazaar. Sending mine back though. Great sound but not comfortable enough and just not gonna get enough ear time.

Feb 11, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #686 of 958
I wanted to add something to this, and it was that on page 38, a person (@Doorbell) had bought the M50X from Amazing Deals Online and then went to Guitar Center to compare the two M50X's. Although the he got a "stylish" warranty card, the M50X from Amazing Deals Online had channel imbalance issues as well as a different leather texture, as well. Amazing Deals Online has a large number of positive reviews of their storefront, and also sent an email to Doorbell saying they don't have fakes, but I have learned not to trust the Amazon Storefront Reviews as much as I did.

P.S. SonicSenseProAudio used to sell the M50Xs as well, and that's where it shipped from when I got my M50X's, and they were on the authorized dealers section. Only problem I had with my pair was that I abused the coiled cable connector and now the coiled cable has an imbalanced sound as well as being harsher to my ears while the other two cables work fine.
Edit: I bought the ATh-M50X bundle that included a cloth and Fiio E6, which was less than a dollar difference and was from the seller above, so I had no reason not to take it. Although Amazon did not update the description, and instead, I got a more useful rubber band to connect my Fiio to my phone although I don't do that anymore.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #687 of 958
"Thanks for your message and I can appreciate your concern. The good news is that Amazing Deals Online is one of our excellent authorized dealers. The reason that you don’t see that name listed on our website is because they do not use their primary account name when selling on Amazon. They are listed on out dealer webpage as:
OUTLOOK ACQUISITIONS INC
EDISON, NJ

You can find them there at this location: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

Please be assured that Amazing Deals is authorized as our dealer and your full warranty is in effect.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me. Happy to help.

Best regards,

Doug"

This is direct from audio technica in response to my amazing deals online authenticity question. Anyone who wants to use that m50xdeal can buy with piece of mind. I am thankful I went ahead and purchased it when I did as 129 for a new m50x was a good price.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #689 of 958
"Thanks for your message and I can appreciate your concern. The good news is that Amazing Deals Online is one of our excellent authorized dealers. The reason that you don’t see that name listed on our website is because they do not use their primary account name when selling on Amazon. They are listed on out dealer webpage as:
OUTLOOK ACQUISITIONS INC
EDISON, NJ

You can find them there at this location: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

Please be assured that Amazing Deals is authorized as our dealer and your full warranty is in effect.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me. Happy to help.

Best regards,

Doug"

This is direct from audio technica in response to my amazing deals online authenticity question. Anyone who wants to use that m50xdeal can buy with piece of mind. I am thankful I went ahead and purchased it when I did as 129 for a new m50x was a good price.

interesting, but that doesn't explain why people a few threads back said they got fakes, unless they were refurbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back