New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Jan 26, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #661 of 958
The pads audio technical uses for the M50x will definitely start to flake like that after a while. I had a few headphones from audio technical before which used the same leatherette and they started flaking after constant regular use for about one year.

Maybe u should just get the velour pads from Amazon. For those with the Limited edition blue one, there are also brown colour velour pads available.
I wrote a letter to Audio Technica and they said they'll send me some replacements, free. I'm definitely gonna get the velour pads for the M50x for the future.

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #662 of 958
Oh, and there's a new color for the M50x! Green/Brown/Gold looks exclusive! Out on april 25th http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=zg_bs_11974971_1

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #663 of 958
hmm you posted the black one but I think you mean the DG edition.

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #665 of 958
I posted this in the Accessories forum but I thought it should also be posted here as well -

Here are some pics of what the packaging for authentic Audio-Technica HP-EP replacement pads looks like. 

These are the OEM replacement pads for the ATH-M20x, M30x, M40x, M50x and M50 headphones.

I got these directly from Amazon.com.  But before getting these, I paid full retail price for a set from an 'authorized A-T' online retailer on Amazon, but I received some cheap knock-offs that came in an unmarked plastic bag from them instead.  I immediately sent them back and requested a refund.

Believe it or not, there are absolutely zero photos of the packaging anywhere, so I just wanted to put this out there for all future buyers of these.

Bottom line is this, if you order some new Audio-Technica HP-EP pads and they don't come in this exact packaging,
they are most likely fakes!

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #666 of 958
Assuming there are no revisions of the packaging in the future and AT doesn't keep any on hand without that plastic packaging, that is probably true.

Cheap knock-offs sound a pinch different, but hopefully these "x" pads are more durable in the long run than the old ones.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #667 of 958
  Assuming there are no revisions of the packaging in the future and AT doesn't keep any on hand without that plastic packaging, that is probably true.

Cheap knock-offs sound a pinch different, but hopefully these "x" pads are more durable in the long run than the old ones.

The difference in material quality (and sound quality) between the OEM's and the fakes is night and day.

Plus, I have tried a few different types of pads with my M50's and they all have made them sound noticeably worse IMHO, but YMMV.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #668 of 958
I have the option to purchase the m50x for 129 or beats solo 2 wireless for 160. Both brand new and I want to use these for portable listening as I have purchase a fidelio x1 and have owned and possibly will own in the future a hd 700. Are the m50x's suitable for portable use?

Listening to hip hop, edm, rock and pop. I like impactful bass but am not a basshead.

Feb 5, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #670 of 958
  I have the option to purchase the m50x for 129 or beats solo 2 wireless for 160. Both brand new and I want to use these for portable listening as I have purchase a fidelio x1 and have owned and possibly will own in the future a hd 700. Are the m50x's suitable for portable use?

Listening to hip hop, edm, rock and pop. I like impactful bass but am not a basshead.

I see a lot of people commuting with it. They aren't too heavy but Solo 2 is definitely more portable. M50x's bass is impactful but not too overpowering. If I recall (I only tried Solo 2 at some stores like Apple Store etc.), Solo 2 is considerably more bassy but not like previous Beats. (it's more mid-bass)

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #672 of 958
I just purchased the m50x for a good price. Been looking for a portable, and since I remember liking the OG m50, I figured why not. It's been a long while, so it will be rather nice getting back familiar with it...
beyersmile.png

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #673 of 958
Did anyone else order the m50x from Amazon with the code m50xdeals from amazing deals fulfilled by Amazon? Mine are coming on Thursday and I am now concerned that these might be fake. Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #675 of 958
Why would you be concerned if they are fake?

Read a post on reddit that a m50x that he bought from that deal from amazing deals online was a fake. It's a 3rd party seller who gets fulfilled by Amazon not Amazon themselves who ran the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back