New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
Dec 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #631 of 958
^please get ur facts right. Audio technica said they could not include a microphone as the adapter needed for it to compatible with the 2.5mm jack and the proprietary locking mechanism is not available

They told CNET something along those lines but not so specific, where's your source? The 2.5mm end does not need the third black band, only the plug section needs a third black band as the mic/button input is added in the cable and doesn't have to do with the headphone itself.

There are quite a few third-party mic'd cables so I don't understand why AT couldn't release one.

[size=12.7272720336914px]It's likely just an excuse because they had the MSR7 in development at the time and planned to give it the in-line remote.[/size]

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #632 of 958
  They told CNET something along those lines but not so specific, where's your source? The 2.5mm end does not need the third black band, only the plug section needs a third black band as the mic/button input is added in the cable and doesn't have to do with the headphone itself.

There are quite a few third-party mic'd cables so I don't understand why AT couldn't release one.

[size=12.7272720336914px]It's likely just an excuse because they had the MSR7 in development at the time and planned to give it the in-line remote.[/size]

The cable probably isn't even four-conductor to match that 2.5mm TRRS, ignoring that the end plug is standard 3.5mm TRS, not TRRS as well.  They goofed or they got a good deal on the 2.5mm TRRS plugs for the production, I figure, so they said, "Hey, what the heck? It's not like it matters."

So for anyone wondering and looking at after-market cables, regular 2.5mm TRS (that's tip-ring-sleeve, the stock plug is tip-ring-ring-sleeve when there is no need for the second ring) will work without a hitch.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #633 of 958

[SIZE=12.7272720336914px]It's likely just an excuse because they had the MSR7 in development at the time and planned to give it the in-line remote.[/SIZE]
my source is audio technica singapore

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #634 of 958
I bought 2 Chinese replacement cables - one with mic/remote and one without. Both work great.

The non-mic'd cable I sleeved and re-terminated for my daughter, she's getting M40xs for Christmas.

GavDJU3.jpg

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #635 of 958
Deleted this post

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #636 of 958
I bought 2 Chinese replacement cables - one with mic/remote and one without. Both work great.

The non-mic'd cable I sleeved and re-terminated got my daughter, she's getting M40xs for Christmas.

GavDJU3.jpg
that is a nice cable

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #637 of 958
Since we are on a topic of replacement cables, I figured to post my mini-review of Lunashops replacement 7N OCC silver-plated cable for Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4612

When it comes to full size headphones, there isn't too much you can do to fine tune the sound unless you find replacement pads (not always available) or go for a higher quality replacement cable. Typically OEM chord uses a standard copper or OFC wires. To improve sound quality, you have to look beyond copper wired cables where silver-plated wires is a great alternative. Those cables don't magically improve the sound, but rather a higher purity of silver-plated wire in comparison to a regular copper will improve conductivity and reduce degradation of the signal. The level of such improvement will vary depending on purity of the wire and quality of the connectors, but sometimes you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for super-duper wires to get a benefit of noticeable sound improvement.

I have tested a lot of lunashops replacement silver-plated cables, and always find the same consistent improvement in performance which brightens the sound, makes it more detailed in upper mids/treble and a bit tighter at low end, and slightly widens a perception of staging as a result of brighter sound. With M50x this replacement cable introduced the same level of sound improvement. But you might ask, what makes this cable special?  We are talking about 7N (99.99999% purity) OCC silver-plated quality cable that will actually improve a sound of M50x, not some cheap ebay cable with a color jacket to use as an accessory for your headphones.  It is thin and flexible, and has a great build quality

Overall, for under $40 you get a durable replacement cable with a very high quality and purity silver-plate wiring to be used with ATH-M50x twist-on connector. The obvious benefit is a sound improvement, though it will come at a cost of some microphonics when cable is rubbing against your cloth, but a benefit of sound improvement outweighs it.

Here are the pictures.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #638 of 958
  Since we are on a topic of replacement cables, I figured to post my mini-review of Lunashops replacement 7N OCC silver-plated cable for Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4612

When it comes to full size headphones, there isn't too much you can do to fine tune the sound unless you find replacement pads (not always available) or go for a higher quality replacement cable. Typically OEM chord uses a standard copper or OFC wires. To improve sound quality, you have to look beyond copper wired cables where silver-plated wires is a great alternative. Those cables don't magically improve the sound, but rather a higher purity of silver-plated wire in comparison to a regular copper will improve conductivity and reduce degradation of the signal. The level of such improvement will vary depending on purity of the wire and quality of the connectors, but sometimes you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for super-duper wires to get a benefit of noticeable sound improvement.

I have tested a lot of lunashops replacement silver-plated cables, and always find the same consistent improvement in performance which brightens the sound, makes it more detailed in upper mids/treble and a bit tighter at low end, and slightly widens a perception of staging as a result of brighter sound. With M50x this replacement cable introduced the same level of sound improvement. But you might ask, what makes this cable special?  We are talking about 7N (99.99999% purity) OCC silver-plated quality cable that will actually improve a sound of M50x, not some cheap ebay cable with a color jacket to use as an accessory for your headphones.  It is thin and flexible, and has a great build quality

Overall, for under $40 you get a durable replacement cable with a very high quality and purity silver-plate wiring to be used with ATH-M50x twist-on connector. The obvious benefit is a sound improvement, though it will come at a cost of some microphonics when cable is rubbing against your cloth, but a benefit of sound improvement outweighs it.

Here are the pictures.

Hey great review as usual. Is there cable of same quality that will also be compatible with my ue 6000s? Or will it brighten it too much?

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #639 of 958

Hey great review as usual. Is there cable of same quality that will also be compatible with my ue 6000s? Or will it brighten it too much?

Does the UE6000 earcup accepts 3.5mm or 2.5mm connector?  If it's 3.5mm to 3.5mm, I just reviewed a similar cable for HP150 (very slim housing): http://www.head-fi.org/t/727164/soundmagic-hp150-impressions-thread/255#post_11155733 , but I'm sure lunashops has regular (w/o twist-on lock) 2.5mm to 3.5mm as well.  In terms of sound quality, it brightens but won't make it sibilant or peaky.  Remember, cable is just a wire, not an active component or EQ setting that boosts frequencies.  In a very basic analogy it's like a passive filter, where lower purity material filters out more high frequency content and higher purity one - filters out less.  The changes could be very subtle, and that's why some people refer to replacement cables as "snake oil" lol!!!  Another thing to keep in mind, these lunashops silver plated copper cables are durable but not as rugged as original M50x or HP150 cables with heavy duty "studio use" shielding.

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #641 of 958
  Since we are on a topic of replacement cables, I figured to post my mini-review of Lunashops replacement 7N OCC silver-plated cable for Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones. 

Thanks for this. Guess I'll get this cable instead of the Audio-Technica one of the same length that I would have to order privately.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #642 of 958
Hey guys,

I just bought this headphone a few days ago.
It's my first full sized headphone and I've been very happy with them.

Just looking around for some maintenance tips:

Best way to clean the pleather ear cups and headband padding?

I've been just giving them a wipe down every use; it's been working out ok for now.

How to take care of the removable cable?

Thanks guys :)

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #643 of 958
When winding up the cable (or any cable at that), do it like this:

A wipe down of the pleather is the right choice.  I suppose you could use disinfecting wipes if you want or maybe a light scrub with a paper towel lightly soaked in soapy water followed by a wipe down with a dry paper towel.  But just a plain wipe down is enough, I think, and you should see the earpads become worn and flattened by use before they ever start to disintegrate with the help of your skin oil, unless you use the headphone that sparingly.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #644 of 958
Yeah i wipe my M50x pads with disinfecting wipes.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #645 of 958
Yeah i wipe my M50x pads with disinfecting wipes.

I don't recommend disinfecting wipes especially those that use alcohol which will dry out the leather. Regular wet wipes are better.

It's more a problem if you have the white version where stuff accumulates on the headband and is hard to clean up. I asked Audio-Technica Taiwan they said just use a wet wipe and that they can replace it for you if you send it in. Not sure if it's covered under warranty, but that's better than them saying you can't have it repaired (I recall seeing someone say they contacted AT who said they can't for the original M50 or M40, I'm not sure which one it was)

The earpads for the white one become more ridged and textured overtime and some stuff gets caught in the texturing. Probably just placebo but it seems the earcups get softer and more comfortable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back