NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD
May 6, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #661 of 732
Ok so I crushed my pads a little too much.
Flat as a panake.lol
They took 2 days to regain a slight fluff of about 1/8",
But the shape came back and the comfort surprisingly is very good.

So two things:
1- I finally upgraded the stock cable,
To a BTG Audio 8 Strand SPC cable ..

2- I kept my cardboard/foam ring cutout between yellow fiberglass,and wood,
To keep the material more compressed and make the sound much more neutral from the original woody sound.

Initial impression seems very very natural, balanced & smooth retaining all its suppleness without any lack of treble or excesive bass to me and that is coming from my brain used to the Ultrasone Pro2900 & ed8.

I do not know how much the new cable play a part in the sound,
but I would expect the refinement to be very slight perception in upper end being that it is silver plated copper.
I do not have a stock can to compare unfortunately.

Here is a pic

May 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #663 of 732
I had this cable laying around .
It is from BTG Audio.
Very nice cable.. you can Google them.

May 7, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #665 of 732
Maxx134

The earcup protectors make it seem you applied some laquer treatment to the cups
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #666 of 732
yes I got those protectors for the ES7 from the BestSkinsEver website and apply them.
I don't have any es7.
I just bought it for the for these instead..

Also I took out my internal Mod and left as stock inside and found the sound is so much richer with the combo of the crushed pads and the wire upgrade, compared to my ultrazone.
I hear amazing impact in the bass region which the ultra zone does not portray, instead the ed8 has more bass,
But somehow the esw11 portrayed a a grander and more controlled base with impact in the initial transient hit, which is really amazed me..
Also the richness of it sounds is just I cannot part with after all and I thought I would haha.
Look at my pads..
Not too crushed..

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #667 of 732
Ok update on initial impressions with the wire upgrade,
I am fairly convinced that the wire improves both soundstage clarity and initial transient impact on bass which I never noticed before on stock cable.

The wire I am not sure what grade copper but it is silver plated.

The bass dynamics now rival the Sony7520 I used to have,
So these once again have everything you need.
We
Long journey but after break in and wire upgrade this is a well balanced can that probably cannot be beat.

This esw11 and my Ultrasone ed8 remain my top portables. .

Yet for every day use I find myself picking up the Mikros90 due to convenience and Onkyo 300 for more fun sound.

When I want a rich powerful musical performance on the go,
Nothing beats the esw11..

For a more refined soundstage after using my hd800 at home,
Nothing beats the ed8..
.That about sums it all up..

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #668 of 732
This esw11 and my Ultrasone ed8 remain my top portables. .

I hear that. I have the Ed8 and es10 and both are great for portable use. More detail and step up with the ed8 but the es10 sounds good anyway and my listen of the esw11 tops the es10. I had the esw11 in my basket but ended with a pair of SigPros for a little cheaper instead. They are not as portable as the 11s and i sometimes regret not going with the 11 but the Sigpro sounds better, closer to the ed8 where as the 11's are more of a refined version of the es10s to me. Every one of the above phones is good and i would be thrilled to have even one of them even though my obsession still craves for a pair of esw11 to add to the stable.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #669 of 732
I have the es10 as well :wink:
Same magic just more in the mids with those.

The sig pro & ed8 should both present the upper range differently than the esw11.

In general a bit More sparkle to be simple, but something about the esw11 presentation seems more musicality captivating.
While the ed8 seems more technical and brilliant in detailing.

Both present similar amount of detailing differently.
With the esw11 having more bass transient impact.

My es10 is in hiding lol.
It has it all in a smaller sounding scale..

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #670 of 732
Using extra dac like hpp1 or hugo or theorem will make esw11 sound like a different headphone. it will make esw11 sings much better at all region especially upper range and so high end sounding to me..

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #672 of 732
Hi all, can i request for quick sq comparison between es10 and esw11?

Setup:
iBasso DX90 > (ALO Audio The Green Line) > ALO Audio The Continental V3 > Audio Technica ES10 (With ESW11LTD Lambskin Earpads)
iBasso DX90 > (ALO Audio The Green Line) > ALO Audio The Continental V3 > Audio Technica ESW11LTD

Music:
All kinds of Japanese music.

Treble:
The treble on the ESW11LTD is slightly more forward, airier and has a bit more sparkle to it. Makes the music sound livelier.
The treble on the ES10 feels softer in comparison.

Mids:
The mids on the ESW11LTD are more forward, airier and intimate.
Some people may find it a bit bright.

Bass:
The ES10 has slightly more bass than the ESW11LTD.
The ES10 also has more sub bass, making the bass sound deeper with more depth.
This makes the overall signature of the ES10 darker too.
Bass punch and quality are around the same.

Overall:
The ESW11LTD sounds more open and bright.
The ES10 sounds deeper and veiled.

Personally I feel that both are great headphones that portrays the music differently.
I'll pick either headphone depending on my mood, location, etc...
Which is why ultimately I decided to keep both. :)

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #674 of 732
No problem. :)
Can be driven directly by a smart phone, but it will benefit greatly with a proper setup. :)

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #675 of 732
Wonder how the ESW10LPN fair against the ESW11LTD. They were both similarly priced when they were announced, but now the 10JPN demands for quite a bit more due to lack of availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back