NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD
Nov 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #121 of 732
Only downside of Amazon.jp is they wont Ship to me in USA.  I order CDs from them but cant order the ESW11s.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #126 of 732
Quote:
If I'm not wrong the quantity of these is half that of the w3000anv

I am also interested in the number of unit they are going to make for this model before determining if I want to buy in early. But so far the only thing I found on the AT website is that it is limited edition, the number in production is not stated anywhere.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #127 of 732
Hmmm, found a Japanese blog post talking about the ESW11LTD:

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/azureimf/e/2cd13182f8e9907631c8f4dddec08c8d

From my limited Japanese, he didn't seem too favourable about it.  Can someone confirm what I read.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #128 of 732
Quote:

From my limited Japanese, he didn't seem too favourable about it.  Can someone confirm what I read.

He was comparing between the W3000ANV, ESW11LTD and ESW9. In terms of SQ he ranked them generally as W3000ANV > ESW11LTD > ESW9. Negative comments were mostly with regards to its physicality. He didn't really elaborate much on anything else.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #129 of 732
Quote:

From what I can pick out, he generally said the following:

1) Asked AT rep about the drivers. AT rep responded "it's almost the same as the W3000ANV" (note: seems to imply "same size"), but with a different voice coil. W3000ANV has OFC 7N voice coil while ESW11LTD has OFC 6N voice coil. So I guess that's "confirmation" that it's not the same drivers in the W3000ANV.

2) ESW11LTD has less bass resolution (detail?) than W3000ANV.

3) Compared to ESW9, ESW11LTD has more treble, and the presentation is more "sparkling/magical" that way (I think that's the word he used).

4) The physical size of ear cups seem to "limit" the drivers.

5) Overall, he wasn't impressed. He recommended a used W3000ANV over the ESW11LTD. Probably due to price point but it's clear he was implying "value for your money" here.

So yeah, I think you're right. He's not too favorable with it.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #130 of 732
Quote:

1) Asked AT rep about the drivers. AT rep responded "it's almost the same as the W3000ANV" (note: seems to imply "same size"), but with a different voice coil. W3000ANV has OFC 7N voice coil while ESW11LTD has OFC 6N voice coil. So I guess that's "confirmation" that it's not the same drivers in the W3000ANV.

3) Compared to ESW9, ESW11LTD has more treble, and the presentation is more "sparkling/magical" that way (I think that's the word he used).

5) Overall, he wasn't impressed. He recommended a used W3000ANV over the ESW11LTD. Probably due to price point but it's clear he was implying "value for your money" here.

Would the ESW11 be using a not as good batch of W3000ANV drivers? What do you all reckon?

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #131 of 732
Quote:

Would the ESW11 be using a not as good batch of W3000ANV drivers? What do you all reckon?

I will be meeting up with the AT group sales manager during the local IT fair. Will ask her about the drivers and hear what she has to say XD

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #132 of 732
Quote:

Quote:

He was comparing between the W3000ANV, ESW11LTD and ESW9. In terms of SQ he ranked them generally as W3000ANV > ESW11LTD > ESW9. Negative comments were mostly with regards to its physicality. He didn't really elaborate much on anything else.

That was what I figured, but I want to confirm my understanding.  The author of the blog seem to think for the money you are better off buying a second hand W3000ANV.

While ESW9 is well regarded, it is not exactly a top of the line headphones.  So I will be interested in how much improvement the ESW11 offer compare to 9.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #134 of 732
Quote:
Only downside of Amazon.jp is they wont Ship to me in USA.  I order CDs from them but cant order the ESW11s.

You need a forwarding service like Tenso for non-media merchandise.

Quote:

I'm very piqued now anyway.

Quote:

Yes, while the 3000ANV is a cool headphone and all, I am much more interested in how it compares to other portables, especially the ES10 and ESW9.

As well as HD25 and the Beyers T50p, T5p, & DT1350.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #135 of 732
Quote:

The writer was very positive, saying the ESW11 was at least two steps above the ESW9. But, as we can expect, due to the smaller housing and the size of the paddings, the ESW11 is no match for full-size headphones. S/He continued to saying that if a suitable used unit was found, s/he would splurge for the 3000ANV. 

I don't think too many people who are in the market for the ESW11 are out to replace full-size headphones. That is ludicrous. But, in the portable space, even the ES10 smacks above its weigh. I prefer it to the ED8 for a number of reasons, but find its sound stage tiny. Changing from my DT880, the ES10 immediately impresses with its tiny stage and apparent congestion. But after a few minutes, one gets used to it and begins to enjoy the sound, even finding good separation and spatialisation among the small stage. 

For what it does, Audio Technica's portable line is bested by none. I should be picking up the ESW11 today or tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back