NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD
Jan 29, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #601 of 732
  I guess what I wonder about is whether the 11LTDs are a true upgrade or are they another "flavor" of the ESW9As ...

From my imho, ESW11 is absolutely not an upgrade from your ESW9. These two phones have different sound characteristic. If you love the sound of ESW9, keep it and don't waste money for ESW11 unless you can try it first

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #602 of 732
thank you for your reply.

I am especially fond of special edition / limited production audio gear ...

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #603 of 732
Just get one while you can and you won't regret it. if you like your esw9 i think you will like esw11 better. Pair it with a dac it will become a completely new beast. Currently i am using it with a portable tube amp and the sound is unbelievably good. And the more you listen to them the more you stuck with it.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #604 of 732
thank you. Audio Cubes here in the US is selling them for $700 as well. I'm trying to justify an upgrade from my ESW-9As even though I'll keep them since I love their sound. Congratulations on your purchase!

I also have to agree that although the esw9 is more laid back and sweet,
The sound of the esw11 shares a similar life in the mids from its delicacy.
Simply put you will become addicted to the sound. It is larger and more lifelike.
Yes not laid back but with soundstage so not really forward it strikes a good balance.

Its funny if you go to "audiocubes" site on the Esw11 you see the comments section mE(!) complain about price lol.
And then you see my hot ex-girlfriend telling me to save my money for retirement instead lol.
I did what she said...
I bought them for "retirement" lol!

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #605 of 732
  thank you for your reply.

I am especially fond of special edition / limited production audio gear ...

I see you have AK120. This player seem too bright for my taste, and ESW11 is also a lively phones. May be it will be too much

But consider for golden word  "Limited Edition" on this phone, this is a good enough reason to buy
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #606 of 732

From my imho, ESW11 is absolutely not an upgrade from your ESW9. These two phones have different sound characteristic. If you love the sound of ESW9, keep it and don't waste money for ESW11 unless you can try it first

IMO, the ESW11LTD is a definitve upgrade to the ESW9. To my ears it sounds better almost all areas. Also it has the ATH-woodie signature.

This is one of those limited editions, so on some point, one will not be able to buy any. Just like with the ESW10JPN. Back then, I decided to go with the ESW9 and now I cannot buy the ESW10 anymore in new condition.

However, at this pricepoint, there are alternatives (full size).

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #607 of 732
IMO, the ESW11LTD is a definitve upgrade to the ESW9. To my ears it sounds better almost all areas. Also it has the ATH-woodie signature.

This is one of those limited editions, so on some point, one will not be able to buy any. Just like with the ESW10JPN. Back then, I decided to go with the ESW9 and now I cannot buy the ESW10 anymore in new condition.

However, at this pricepoint, there are alternatives (full size).

The funny thing is though, when I heard the 11s for the first time, I was actually impressed at how well they "stood their ground" against the flagships. They aren't better, but they weren't embarrassed and have a very like able sound right from my DAP. This is the first time I've heard music from my DAP that doesn't make me wish I was at my Naim setup at work.

The portability and size is a big plus. All in all I am very impressed by the 11s (the fact I bought it a day after auditioning should say quite a bit how impressed) :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #608 of 732
can you guys tell me the differences in soundsignature between esw9, 10 and 11? which one has the largest soundstage and most accurate imaging? which one has the smoothest treble and the lowest lows (not quantity but extension).

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #609 of 732
esw9 sound warm, more laid back, very relax and smooth
esw11 sound more engage, a lot of airy detail in mid and treble.

I can't comment about bass because I mostly listen to female vocal and jazz. esw11 may be has a little tighter bass.

When use X3 + esw9, it sound too bold for my test
When use AK120 + esw11, it sound too bright for me too

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #610 of 732
can you guys tell me the differences in soundsignature between esw9, 10 and 11? which one has the largest soundstage and most accurate imaging? which one has the smoothest treble and the lowest lows (not quantity but extension).

That's an easy question, the 11 all the way.
No treble spike yet extension.
Bass & sub there in what I would perceive as balanced or proper levels yet on an slight incline from the mids which makes you hear it all without thinking it is bassy.
Bass is largest of all "earsuit" line but actually in" sound",
not in actual amount,
where I would say the es10 sounds more in amount or boosted while esw11 sound more natural...
Yes the es10 sound more treble & bass boosted & forward, like es700.
Those two I would label a "fun" sound while esw11 I would label a "reference" sound.

Esw10 sound smaller than es10 or esw11 but,...
Esw10 sound larger & more natural than esw9 (!) Excellent balance just smaller than esw11 stage .
My esw11 is really best sounding portable I ever owned yet.

Esw9 sound more bassy than es700 but es700 more lively.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #611 of 732
I would say what puts off past owners that sold it would be the treble.
It is extended an there, but almost subdued which is amazing considering the clarity & detail of the mids
I was used to the brighter es700 can,
so I switched to different pads.
I posted earlier in thread, but in the end I returned to stock pads are just best soundstage balance.
The es10 pads gave more treble,
yet an exaggerated larger than life sound.
The esw9 pads also even more trebles but gave an airy distant sound.

I also have esw10 pads on the way from Japan for my esw10 wich I may try just for fun,
but how I achieved my best sound was using stock pads and simple mod (added foam same shape as yellow felt),
to tone down woodyness and it now has a just an excellent balance reference clear sound now..
:)

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #612 of 732

Happy CNY to all you ESW11LTD owners :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #613 of 732
got the ews11ltd on my ears right now. thx to a member of the german hifi-forum.de who has loaned them to me.  they are great sounding portables for sure. anyone able to compare them to the w1000x? i am torn between both. portability is a plus in my books, but, sound is even more important. soundstage on the esw11 is not as great is i expected.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #614 of 732
  got the ews11ltd on my ears right now. thx to a member of the german hifi-forum.de who has loaned them to me.  they are great sounding portables for sure. anyone able to compare them to the w1000x? i am torn between both. portability is a plus in my books, but, sound is even more important. soundstage on the esw11 is not as great is i expected.

W1000X has a lot better sound stage than ESW11LTD. I went to shop last week and compare

1. My W1000 with W1000X
2. My W1000 with ESW11LTD
3. W1000X with ESW11LTD

ESW11LTD has the weakest sound stage.

But in other area, ESW11LTD is better than W1000X, imho. ESW11LTD has more detail in mid and treble and smoother than W1000X. I'm very satisfy and bring ESW11LTD home for using in my bed room.

After compare W1000 and W1000X, I think that my W1000 is a lot more better than W1000X and understand now why many W1000X users complained in its thread. Please check W1000X thread for further information. You may need some mod to get the best from W1000X.

Good luck for your new head phone

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #615 of 732

I've never heard the w1000x but I do own the 3000anv which are full sized headphones (and fantastic ones at that). Being supreaural headphones (on ears) they by default lose out to on ears in soundstage and airiness. The tonality, and sound quality however is something else, and comparable/ but different to even TOTLs like the LCDs.

The fact they are limited edition, and will hold their value, is also a big plus for me against other non limited edition headphones. Hope my two cents helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back