NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD
Jul 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #406 of 732
How was the treble? I've read one review that seems to suggest the treble being rolled off leading to inaccurate timbre and sparkle. Did you find this to be the case?

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #407 of 732
The owner said that it could be the problem but i found them way more balanced and accurate when comparing to my ES10.  They seem like a refined version of the 10's where the weaknesses were corrected.  Still on about that level.  I compared to the ED8 LE and obviously that is a step up/ also costs almost 3x as much though.  I thought the price would have come down a bit on these but they still seem to be in the mid to upper $600 range.  Trying to work out how to get a pair in my budget but in the mean time still have those ES10's and Ed8's to keep me company.  Maybe one will turn up on the sales forum if i keep my eyes open.
wink_face.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #408 of 732
haha you're lucky you have two nice headphones in your collection. I'm trying to find the next logical (yet portable) upgrade from my DT1350s. Was tossing between the ESW11 while they can still be bought or the new Sennheiser momentum on-ears.

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #412 of 732
Hopefully someone will bring a ESW11LTD again so I can try it out.

But I respectfully disagree with dallan.

When I had a chance to demo it at the February meet, I thought ESW11LTD was a bit on the dark/muffled/closed-in side, whereas ES10 had more treble, and sounded somewhat more open.

My ES10 is going to be outfitted with wooden ear cups, so let's see if that would change anything.

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #413 of 732
Need to say that I apparently bought these more as a collector than as a listener...
biggrin.gif
Haven't been using these much. Not saying that these aren't nice phones though. Maybe I should take them out once in a while...

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #414 of 732
Noisy meet conditions don't help for sure. I like my es10s but a few have noted when buying that it was like strapping on subwoofers to their ears. I could relate to that but got used to them or burn in. I didn't have that experience with the 11s, that bass seemed more balanced with the rest of the spectrum to me. But again meet condx.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #415 of 732
I think bass on the ES10 stands out like a sore thumb because the headphones have more treble and somewhat of a dip in lower midrange. More "contrast" with the rest of the spectrum may have accentuated bass.

The ESW11LTD to my ears sounded more linear from bass to upper midrange, and then treble took a smooth nose dive. Not unlike the Audeze LCD series of headphones.

Upon closer listening, though, both headphones have about the same amount of bass to my ears. It does make sense, though, since ESW11LTD should be able to match ES10 in bass performance... seeing as it's got the same size drivers.

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #417 of 732
I think bass on the ES10 stands out like a sore thumb because the headphones have more treble and somewhat of a dip in lower midrange. More "contrast" with the rest of the spectrum may have accentuated bass.

The ESW11LTD to my ears sounded more linear from bass to upper midrange, and then treble took a smooth nose dive. Not unlike the Audeze LCD series of headphones.

Upon closer listening, though, both headphones have about the same amount of bass to my ears. It does make sense, though, since ESW11LTD should be able to match ES10 in bass performance... seeing as it's got the same size drivers.
this is my experience also.i really miss the mid range of the esw11, the treble seemed lacking though.
I need to mod my es10 somehow, I feel it would be good If i was somehow to add to mids, I could eq I suppose-but I would rather not.

The ATH-ESW9 does seem to be the sweet spot in between them possibly.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #418 of 732
Quote:
Has that been verified, same drivers?

I think Shigzeo confirmed that it has the same drivers earlier in the thread?
The specs are fairly much the same.

Also he confirmed the driver is the same in ESW11 as ??????, a larger Audio Technica headphone (W1000?), sorry best scroll back and double check, I dont have time atm.

Shigzeo, are you out there?, he is quite busy these days.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #420 of 732
Quote:
Wow, they sound different to me even though the signature is the same.  I have the 11 earpads on my 10 too.

i think Rafa summed it up nicely above.

Though musical memory can be faulty, can you again sight the difference you perceived please Dallan.

I am still on the fence about getting ATH-ESW11, although not being in stock in my local shop prohibits my purchase anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back