New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 22, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #5,881 of 11,259
1) Has anyone determined a way to remove or reduce the "click" at sample rate changes? It has become more of an annoyance. I don't listen to much DSD. I can handle it, but I would be thrilled if I could just remove the click during PCM switches. After changing a few things around, it's become more prominent and annoying.
Just change the software R-8_P_DSDCLK or R-8_Parallel_DOP

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #5,882 of 11,259
Thank you @nikko510!

I think I had read a while back that the parallel was working well for some folks. I'll start with that. Greatly appreciated.

Edited to ask - Is this one of the firmwares that requires the pin change?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #5,884 of 11,259
Thank you very much @guzz46!

I had found the firmware, but what I can't find (yet) is if the parallel firmware uses the same BCLK / MCLK wire swap as the R8_Asy group of firmwares. Anyone know?

-Cheers

Edited to Add - I think I figured it out. It looks like Kingwa states this on the site. All the newer units have the swap, and thus it's required for the newer firmwares.

With thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #5,885 of 11,259
Thank you very much @guzz46!

I had found the firmware, but what I can't find (yet) is if the parallel firmware uses the same BCLK / MCLK wire swap as the R8_Asy group of firmwares. Anyone know?

-Cheers

Edited to Add - I think I figured it out. It looks like Kingwa states this on the site. All the newer units have the swap, and thus it's required for the newer firmwares.

With thanks!

Yes it does.

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #5,886 of 11,259
Did the update... Still pops when switching within PCM. I need to learn the new settings to ensure I'm comparing apples to apples, but I lost bass on NOS too. The "old" firmware was better, IMO. Oh well, I can always swap back. I'll explore the new settings, but I'd even put up with a reduction (very small) if I could get rid of the dang pops. Maybe I'll just get a new DAC. I've waited and waited for new firmwares to solve this. Shame... it really is a fantastic sounding DAC.

Swapped to R8tda_Asy_P_dop.jic

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #5,887 of 11,259
The bass definition comes back with OS, but something about the current firmware just does not work for me in NOS or OS. There's a loss (to my ears) in width and height to the soundstage, a loss in precision of instrument and voice placement, and a new "edge" to everything. I listened to 4 or 5 of my normal tracks just before swapping. It is a Class A output stage, so I'll let it warm up and settle a bit and see if I can get used to it. As of now, some of my test tracks are almost unlistenable. Also, still with the pops. At least the pops between settings changes are gone. That's a plus, but I'll likely be switching back to previous firmware... and hunting for a DAC. Rats! The sound before was sublime. I shouldn't have messed with a good thing.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #5,888 of 11,259
Sorry to hear about your frustrations, ItsAllInMyHead. I haven't heard a single click from a sample rate change in nearly a year of using my R-28 with the SU-6, under the V3A firmware. After coming from a Schiit DAC, I had come to expect not just hearing relays clicking from sampling rate changes, but had even inserted two second silent tracks in playlists I often play, in order to avoid missing the first second or two of the following track. With my SU-6 and R-28, I don't miss anything; nor do I hear anything.

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #5,889 of 11,259
Thanks for the kind words. I assume with the SU-6, you're using IIS, but just confirming. I'm swapping around inputs etc. and removing / inserting the SU-1 in my chain to see if there's a trend. I tried power cycling both.

I really liked the V3S firmware - I may head back that direction. I have the TDA_Asy / TDA_Syn firmware on the same file, so I may pop that on and experiment a bit again. I enjoy fiddling. I know what I was running prior, so I can easily go back. It takes all of 10 mins. I shouldn't gripe, it's truly a fabulous DAC...I'm just frustrated at myself for messing with a good thing. I can deal with the pops or remove them (by using only one depth/rate or upsampling prior etc. etc.) if it comes right down to it.

So glad you're experience is as it should be. Kingwa makes exceptional products, and continues his support and free / low cost updates long after the initial sale. So, when I read that the latest firmware specifically targeted the pops, I was "in". It's got to be something simple.

Either way, after letting it warm up over night - the sound has not improved. So, I'll fiddle a bit today and either figure it out or go back to my previous firmware.

- cheers.

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #5,890 of 11,259
FWIW - I gave it a shot.

I swapped the MCLK / BCLK wires back to "stock" and for fun I tried R8TDA_Syn.jic from March 16, 2019. That particular firmware seems to not love my DAC at all (or the SU-1 or something) - nothing but static. I went back to my good ol' R8TDA_Asy.jsy from March 18, 2019. All is right with the world again.

I know we all have different gear, ears, and brains, but that set-up just works for me. The sense of realism, space, and bass are all back. Perhaps if I had given the newer firmware a bit longer, it would have grown on me. I don't know. I question my ears every now and again, but I know some things were just "off" with the latest FW with my setup.

Mainly, once again, I want to thank Kingwa for allowing those of us that love to tinker the opportunity to try new things and for always supporting his products long after initial sale. Now... I need to change some settings to stick with a constant rate / depth to get rid of the pops and leave well enough alone...

(until I get the itch to tinker again)... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 23, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #5,892 of 11,259
Feb 23, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #5,893 of 11,259
how I can confirm if some newer firmware available for my dac? I have R7HE from december 2019-jan 2020
Does firmwares has cumulative updates or they are just for different features and I need to choose only one ?

I guess you just have to keep an eye on the firmware page, I don't know about cumulative updates, I'm no expert on firmwares.

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #5,894 of 11,259
FWIW - I gave it a shot.

I swapped the MCLK / BCLK wires back to "stock" and for fun I tried R8TDA_Syn.jic from March 16, 2019. That particular firmware seems to not love my DAC at all (or the SU-1 or something) - nothing but static. I went back to my good ol' R8TDA_Asy.jsy from March 18, 2019. All is right with the world again.

I know we all have different gear, ears, and brains, but that set-up just works for me. The sense of realism, space, and bass are all back. Perhaps if I had given the newer firmware a bit longer, it would have grown on me. I don't know. I question my ears every now and again, but I know some things were just "off" with the latest FW with my setup.

Mainly, once again, I want to thank Kingwa for allowing those of us that love to tinker the opportunity to try new things and for always supporting his products long after initial sale. Now... I need to change some settings to stick with a constant rate / depth to get rid of the pops and leave well enough alone...

(until I get the itch to tinker again)... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Your post inspired me to swap the pins on my recently procured r8he and i went from latest firmware to old R8TDA_Asy.jic. got to say you are right. This fw is more natural and warmer than any of the latest ones those after pin swap and R8asy3. It has much more smooth and has more bass and less edges on tones although soundstage is smaller and more congested. It reminded me of my old dac19 in some way which i used to love. Thanks very much. I was always wondering why my dac sounds unlike any audiogd that i was used to. I was lazy enough to take off the cover and swap the pins and downgrade to pre r8asy3 firmwares but now i feel its worth for anyone who finds latest firmwares bright and edgy.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #5,895 of 11,259
Actually... I have a question to users: Perhaps someone has a Soundaware D300 / REF and AudioGD DAC connected via the I2S interface, how does it work for you? Are there any bugs?

I was using the D300REF with an R28 and it worked fine, without any issues. It wasn't here at the same time I had an R2R 7 (R7) here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back