New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #5,866 of 11,260
No, but my equipment rack is one of those completely isolating types and it makes a major improvement to audio clarity.
It's psychological
You can get "completely" isolated only if parts does not touch each other. Like in this Magnew magnet levitation legs

The question is about Is it possible to twist stock legs to unscrew them and to scred another legs on their place ?
Or they holdinng by separate screw and you can fasten any legs only with screwdriver from inside so you have to take out all entrails?

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #5,867 of 11,260
It's psychological
You can get "completely" isolated only if parts does not touch each other. Like in this Magnew magnet levitation legs

The question is about Is it possible to twist stock legs to unscrew them and to scred another legs on their place ?
Or they holdinng by separate screw and you can fasten any legs only with screwdriver from inside so you have to take out all entrails?

It's not "psychological". Mechanical induced deviation from operational specs are well understood, typically from physical stress or piezoelectric charge.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #5,869 of 11,260
Does somebody tried to screw some vibro isolating legs instead stock legs ?
I just but some isolation over the original feet or you can use 3 isolation feet separately but not over the original 4 stock feet which should be more effective but it is less steady. The one with 2 feet should be at the heavier end of the DAC. but it can wobble nonetheless when you touch it. Alternatively put it on a new platform but commercial ones are too time consuming. You can DIY your platform using combination of different material.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #5,870 of 11,260
Has anyone realized that there is also a "burn-in" period even for different setting e.g NOS vs OS. I was switching from playing OSx4 which has been so for few wks and the NOS sounded terrible. I did not think it was that bad before. In fact I always preferred NOS over OS. Not much improvement after few hrs. I lost patience.So thinking, well it is time to upgrade my FW (which has been the old TDA non-parallel mode), I loaded the P2-DSDclk FW, and I have noted immediate clarity of the NOS mode which was very fuzzy/distorted before. But I still have noted some lack of clarity and rough & edges etc. Switching to OS mode certainly has improved things. So I had to wait for the NOS to play for at least 48 hrs non-stop, then the sound has returned to its previous glory of NOS mode, with the wide sound stage and naturalistic sound. I understand there is also additional need of "burn-in" for. the parallel mode so that may also be at play. Now my R7 should be fully burned in after playing daily 24/7 the past 6 months. I I am not expecting warming up needed for different modes.
I have noted a warm up period of also 2-3 days if one switches from DSD to PCM and vice versa (probably longer for PCM). But even for between NOS and OS ?? It is a bit of a pain since this means switching between modes on the fly are not exactly going to give best sound (though I have not done comparing between different OS). One has to stay on the same mode during the same listening session and switch mode when not listening to allow the DAC to adapt and play by itself overnight and then next day listen again.

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #5,872 of 11,260
I observed exactly the same on the software R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop_IIS3 .
I changed the OS mode to nos - it sounded tragically bad.
In a few days we will see if it will improve.

It took about 48-72 hrs for the NOS to sound really good, back to the old NOS style. The parallel mode surely has improved the NOS a lot from the beginning even before having FW burning in. I would assume the OS would do the same but now it is more distant memory of OS and I won't bother to switch between FW to compare again. And of course to reassess OS I would have to let it burn for another 2-3 days..... I would test DSD next which again requires some burn in.
I suspect the NOS mode runs on quite a different circuit than I previously assumed. I thought OS and NOS share almost same path except there is additional oversampling and digital filtering in the OS. But it appears NOS is also using a circuit that OS is not using and hence the worse SQ when switching from OS to NOS. This may also explain why I did not like OS much because I was switching NOS to OS and try immediately without letting OS warm up. About 2 wks ago I must have accidentally left it running on OS x4 for probably a week and it was sounding really nice but I didi notice somewhat leaner sound. The cleaner sound/clarity was noticeable which made me wonder then why that was happening. I thought it was the upgrade of my AC power rig but really it was OSx 4 doing the cleaning up. Back to NOS it does give a darker, wider sound stage but has lost some clarity on certain complex recordings, which is characteristic of NOS.
It is annoying that which back and forth on the fly between NOS and OS may not be best for SQ, likewise same with btw PCM and DSD.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #5,874 of 11,260
Feb 20, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #5,875 of 11,260
Hello.

Immediately - I ask you to forgive, English is not my native way to Express thoughts, so please do not look for hidden meaning in my posts :)

I recently became the owner of a set of AudioGD devices
R7HE (2019) and HE1
Before that, the Exogal Comet Plus DAC worked in my system for a long time.
Just as long in the system was Soundaware D300Ref, which suits absolutely everyone.
It was connected to the DAC from Exogal via the AES interface. There were no problems. Played any of the available formats, except DSD native. Since my DAC does not accept it via the AES interface.
It was decided to connect the new DAC directly to the D300Ref via the i2S interface.
But what a disappointment it was when I heard noise instead of music at the beginning.
Yes, almost immediately I realized that the problem can be solved by switching the input to the DAC several times, 2-3 times was usually enough, the problem disappeared, and the format that was played did not cause failures. But as soon as I switched from PCM to DSD, the noise would reappear.
Another connection method (AES, Coax) solved this problem completely, the noise does not appear on these interfaces under any circumstances, but the sound quality is noticeably inferior to the I2S interface.
Just note that I connected the equipment with a fairly short HDMI cable, only 50cm. and its quality did not cause any questions, just in case I took a known working cable for a while, but the problem was repeated with it.

Before purchasing a DAC from AudioGD, I tested Soundaware with a single DAC over the i2S bus, and there were no problems.
Also, after detecting the problem, my friend helped me check the DAC operation on the I2S interface with its Audio-GD DI-20HE Converter, and again there were no problems.. once, there was a minor squeak, but the systemic nature of the problem has not been worn.

To solve the problem, I tried changing the firmware to D300REF, but it didn't work.
I tried to change the firmware on the DAC, and then I realized that almost all of them give a different effect, relative to my problem.
As you know, there are several firmware versions: synchronous and asynchronous.
(From the description on the site: Synchronous use the MCLK of the transport device, asynchronous use the internal CLK generator). Firmware has a common code for a number of R2R devices.
So:

R-7_V3 (Jul. 2018), the very first, asynchronous version, does not cause noise when switching PCM-DSD, There is no noise after initialization, but often breaks down to noise in PCM formats 176-192 KHz. In terms of sound quality, questionable firmware.

R-7_tda (Apr.2019), there is no noise when switching PCM 44.1/16bit to DSD, but there is constant noise in 24bit records, this noise does not disappear when trying to switch inputs to DAC.

R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop (July.2019) and R-7_P2_DSDCLK (Oct.2019) both behave the same, the noise when any signal is applied to the input immediately after switching on, it can be fixed by switching the DAC inputs, at some point there is a sound, but when you send a DSD signal, the noise returns, you can remove it by switching the inputs. By the way, DSD Native on these firmware is not played-NOISE, remove switching inputs is not possible.
Firmware R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop produces the best sound quality.

Further... I write letters to manufacturers.
Mr. Kingwa of Audio-GD, in fact, was the first to respond.
In short, his answer is that Soundaware does not produce an accurate signal, so the DAC can not always catch it, and in the new DAC firmware, the accuracy is improved and all timings are tightened. this makes it even more difficult to lock a bad signal.
He asks for a real diagram of the output signal of the i2S D300, and wants to make sure that the phase of the signal is correct.
Soundaware wrote with a big delay, complained about the raging virus. They say that we do not work because of it, we recommended checking the compatibility of interfaces by pins. Well, they're sort of compatible, and Mr. Kingwa and I checked it out.

Actually... I have a question to users: Perhaps someone has a Soundaware D300 / REF and AudioGD DAC connected via the I2S interface, how does it work for you? Are there any bugs?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #5,876 of 11,260
Hello.

Immediately - I ask you to forgive, English is not my native way to Express thoughts, so please do not look for hidden meaning in my posts :)

I recently became the owner of a set of AudioGD devices
R7HE (2019) and HE1
Before that, the Exogal Comet Plus DAC worked in my system for a long time.
Just as long in the system was Soundaware D300Ref, which suits absolutely everyone.
It was connected to the DAC from Exogal via the AES interface. There were no problems. Played any of the available formats, except DSD native. Since my DAC does not accept it via the AES interface.
It was decided to connect the new DAC directly to the D300Ref via the i2S interface.
But what a disappointment it was when I heard noise instead of music at the beginning.
Yes, almost immediately I realized that the problem can be solved by switching the input to the DAC several times, 2-3 times was usually enough, the problem disappeared, and the format that was played did not cause failures. But as soon as I switched from PCM to DSD, the noise would reappear.
Another connection method (AES, Coax) solved this problem completely, the noise does not appear on these interfaces under any circumstances, but the sound quality is noticeably inferior to the I2S interface.
Just note that I connected the equipment with a fairly short HDMI cable, only 50cm. and its quality did not cause any questions, just in case I took a known working cable for a while, but the problem was repeated with it.

Before purchasing a DAC from AudioGD, I tested Soundaware with a single DAC over the i2S bus, and there were no problems.
Also, after detecting the problem, my friend helped me check the DAC operation on the I2S interface with its Audio-GD DI-20HE Converter, and again there were no problems.. once, there was a minor squeak, but the systemic nature of the problem has not been worn.

To solve the problem, I tried changing the firmware to D300REF, but it didn't work.
I tried to change the firmware on the DAC, and then I realized that almost all of them give a different effect, relative to my problem.
As you know, there are several firmware versions: synchronous and asynchronous.
(From the description on the site: Synchronous use the MCLK of the transport device, asynchronous use the internal CLK generator). Firmware has a common code for a number of R2R devices.
So:

R-7_V3 (Jul. 2018), the very first, asynchronous version, does not cause noise when switching PCM-DSD, There is no noise after initialization, but often breaks down to noise in PCM formats 176-192 KHz. In terms of sound quality, questionable firmware.

R-7_tda (Apr.2019), there is no noise when switching PCM 44.1/16bit to DSD, but there is constant noise in 24bit records, this noise does not disappear when trying to switch inputs to DAC.

R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop (July.2019) and R-7_P2_DSDCLK (Oct.2019) both behave the same, the noise when any signal is applied to the input immediately after switching on, it can be fixed by switching the DAC inputs, at some point there is a sound, but when you send a signal to the DSD, the noise returns, you can remove it by switching the inputs. By the way, DSD Native on these firmware is not played-NOISE, remove switching inputs is not possible.
Firmware R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop produces the best sound quality.

Further... I write letters to manufacturers.
Mr. Kingwa of Audio-GD, in fact, was the first to respond.
In short, his answer is that Soundaware does not produce an accurate signal, so the DAC can not always catch it, and in the new DAC firmware, the accuracy is improved and all timings are tightened. this makes it even more difficult to lock a bad signal.
He asks for a real diagram of the output signal of the i2S D300, and wants to make sure that the phase of the signal is correct.
Soundaware wrote with a big delay, complained about the raging virus. They say that we do not work because of it, we recommended checking the compatibility of interfaces by pins. Well, they're sort of compatible, and Mr. Kingwa and I checked it out.

Actually... I have a question to users: Perhaps someone has a Soundaware D300 / REF and AudioGD DAC connected via the I2S interface, how does it work for you? Are there any bugs?

Sometimes I used to get static noise on my R8 via i2s from a raspberry pi, and like you it would go away after switching inputs, this was with both tda firmwares, but I've yet to experience it after switching to the paralell_dop firmware, if you haven't already maybe try playing around with the syn, pll, or dith buttons, when I was running tda_syn I had to engage the syn button otherwise there would be a slight clicking sound.

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #5,877 of 11,260
Sometimes I used to get static noise on my R8 via i2s from a raspberry pi, and like you it would go away after switching inputs, this was with both tda firmwares, but I've yet to experience it after switching to the paralell_dop firmware, if you haven't already maybe try playing around with the syn, pll, or dith buttons, when I was running tda_syn I had to engage the syn button otherwise there would be a slight clicking sound.
In my case, there was no effect of the PLL&Syn option on the noise problem, but the sound quality was slightly simplified with the inclusion of the Pll in position 1.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #5,878 of 11,260
Heads up:

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #5,879 of 11,260
Hi All -

Long time! I've been enjoying music for the last several months without succumbing to my "need to tweak". :ksc75smile:

I made a few other switches in my system, so I decided to come back to potential updates or changes for either SQ or other UI changes for my R-8. My R-8 has the V2 boards and the Accusilicon clocks (self-installed). I paused with all the firmware changes when it seemed they were coming quite often. I wanted to give my brain a rest. I currently use TDA_Asy. I know! Soooooo old. At least I'm not still on V2_Syn. :ksc75smile: Signal is fed IIS from a Singxer SU-1. Note - I've seen the new DI-20. Exciting! Kudos to Kingwa.

Onto my questions - I've read back a bit, but I can't seem to find it.

1) Has anyone determined a way to remove or reduce the "click" at sample rate changes? It has become more of an annoyance. I don't listen to much DSD. I can handle it, but I would be thrilled if I could just remove the click during PCM switches. After changing a few things around, it's become more prominent and annoying.

2) Is there a quick place to check for a summary of the latest versions of FW and what they're intended to accomplish? Anyone have an opinion re: which one may be best suited in combination with the Singxer? I always listen to all modes, but my preference has always leaned NOS thus far. Back on V2_Syn, I liked NOS2 if I recall correctly. Personally, the TDA simulation did not do much for me.

I'm still foolishly fond of the NOS mode on TDA_Asy and don't know why I'd want to change except for getting rid of the click, but if there have been some tweaks, Kingwa always seems to gradually move forward. I'm game to open the top.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back