New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #5,836 of 11,260
Whammy Amp or Mainline and HD 650
You won't necessarily see the full potential of the r8-he with this setup but it should give a nice balance and a very nice sound. Audio-gd is very neutral, the hd650 have a good presence in the midrange so you can expect good synergy. If you think long term, it is a smart move. Headphones with a dry midrange like the he560 give a rather v shape sound with this sort of setup. Depending of what you are looking for. One thing is for sure, the r8he/di20he combo is in the major leagues. Get a Belden serie fe hdmi cables to hook them up If you choose to get this pair.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #5,837 of 11,260
That is very good info. I will keep the di20he on my list. Wish I could buy it all now but I can't go all out yet. I plan on getting a ZMF Verite Closed and Glenn OTL in the future

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #5,838 of 11,260
Kingwa says the R8HE sounds twice as good (200%) as the regular R7. Never heard the R8HE but would like to have the pleasure. The R8 employs the same discrete resistor DAC modules as the R7. Similar power supply arrangement.

The R8(HE) has a mini-USB port on the back of the chassis for firmware upgrade. Easy front panel adjustment of DSP settings (OS, NOS, etc.). Don't forget adding a DI20HE to the bundle for maximum sound potential. You can get it all with 11% discount bundle pricing during the New Year sale. Hurry!
With this combo I suppose one won't even need to pay for an internal.usb bridge of the DAC

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #5,841 of 11,260
Excellent points but the HEs automatically get full upgrades (Accusilicons, USB upgrades). But getting Accusilicon XOs on the base model is mandatory. 95% of AGD DAC/ DI shipments have the upgraded clocks.

You may can ask Kingwa to remove the USB adapter for a small cost savings.

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #5,843 of 11,260
Kingwa says the R8HE sounds twice as good (200%) as the regular R7. Never heard the R8HE but would like to have the pleasure. The R8 employs the same discrete resistor DAC modules as the R7. Similar power supply arrangement.

The R8(HE) has a mini-USB port on the back of the chassis for firmware upgrade. Easy front panel adjustment of DSP settings (OS, NOS, etc.). Don't forget adding a DI20HE to the bundle for maximum sound potential. You can get it all with 11% discount bundle pricing during the New Year sale. Hurry!

I would like to nuance this. I and another listener on this forum compared the R7 and R8HE side by side and we were unanimous. The R8HE has a very spatial sound, here the R8HE wins. We found the R7 more beautiful and richer in the mid and high section. More body, more real.
Technically speaking, the R7 is different from the R8HE with other chipsets and also different power supply for at least the digital main board. The R8HE has standard voltage regulators where the R7 has discrete class A power supplies. The analog section looks different but is discrete with the R8HE.
If the R8HE sounds much better than the R7 then I suspect that the mains voltage is to blame. Then compare the R8HE with the R7HE we have done and you will hear the benefits of both an R7 + R8HE. The R7HE remains the ultimate dac for us! The R8HE and the R7 and the R7HE all have a micro-usb upgrade port.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #5,845 of 11,260
I would like to nuance this. I and another listener on this forum compared the R7 and R8HE side by side and we were unanimous. The R8HE has a very spatial sound, here the R8HE wins. We found the R7 more beautiful and richer in the mid and high section. More body, more real.
Technically speaking, the R7 is different from the R8HE with other chipsets and also different power supply for at least the digital main board. The R8HE has standard voltage regulators where the R7 has discrete class A power supplies. The analog section looks different but is discrete with the R8HE.
If the R8HE sounds much better than the R7 then I suspect that the mains voltage is to blame. Then compare the R8HE with the R7HE we have done and you will hear the benefits of both an R7 + R8HE. The R7HE remains the ultimate dac for us! The R8HE and the R7 and the R7HE all have a micro-usb upgrade port.

I believe the two most important components of a DAC are the power supply and the clocking. Probably the Analogue output is third. This is what DAC builders tell me. The HE series has the best power supply one can get- period. However the clocking in audio-gd DAC's, although very good- is not the last word at all. The question to me is why audio-gd does not at least offer the option for an internal world class clock being that the clocking and the power supply are the two most important factors in building a DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #5,847 of 11,260
I believe the two most important components of a DAC are the power supply and the clocking. Probably the Analogue output is third. This is what DAC builders tell me. The HE series has the best power supply one can get- period. However the clocking in audio-gd DAC's, although very good- is not the last word at all. The question to me is why audio-gd does not at least offer the option for an internal world class clock being that the clocking and the power supply are the two most important factors in building a DAC.
Indeed, PS and the AC quality is most important. I recently have been trying to clean up my AC by using both isolation transformers and regenerator which has really transformed the system to have a much more.stable great sound. Not sure the R7 + external regenerator would beat R7 HE without regen. But perhaps on similar level. Of course the external regen will benefit ther server/stream which may have even greater benefits from clean power.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #5,849 of 11,260
Indeed, PS and the AC quality is most important. I recently have been trying to clean up my AC by using both isolation transformers and regenerator which has really transformed the system to have a much more.stable great sound. Not sure the R7 + external regenerator would beat R7 HE without regen. But perhaps on similar level. Of course the external regen will benefit ther server/stream which may have even greater benefits from clean power.

I notice no improvement but also not necessarily and degradation from the Regen ISO before my dac. The sound is warmer tonally- to warm for my tastes but I could hear how others may like it.

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #5,850 of 11,260
I notice no improvement but also not necessarily and degradation from the Regen ISO before my dac. The sound is warmer tonally- to warm for my tastes but I could hear how others may like it.
The isoregen or other isolation devices indeed can interfere with the SQ. I took out my ifi products as they just change the sound eg warmthen it and degrades the clarity/sound stage. They only work well for a week source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back