New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #5,131 of 11,282
Would running on diesel instead of the grid give you better SQ from your system?

In fact, yes, if I just take power direct from the outlets. The distributed electrical power is usually very clean here. I live a bit remote on the countryside and I have my own water on the estate so the generator makes me/us autonomous. The sound. Now I use a very good UPS that cleans up the power that is feeding my gears so it sounds great at all times.
/Jan

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #5,134 of 11,282
@AudioBang Thanks... Yes, I'm in Sonoma county (California). We were one of the first to go black and last to recover power last night about 10pm. Had to throw out all things in my fridge and freezer but my gas stove worked when lit by a match.. The wind never got above 15mph in our area. Heads are going to roll over this fiasco. But it was a great forced trial in case of earthquake and I need to be better prepared. %@#*!
Years ago we had a snow storm in CT that took down power for ten days.
Waking up with frost on your breath not fun.
I bought a tri-fuel Honda 1200W generator the size of a bowling ball bag and haven't needed it once.
I never tried it out with the natural gas feed I had installed on the side of the garage.
It's enough to power the electronics and blower of my gas/hot air heat and on-demand hot water.
I have three 5-gallon drums I fill up with gas every December to be prepared.
It has an auto-idle mode when it senses low current draw and can supposedly run for five hours per tank if just being used for the heater.
It's also extremely quiet where you could have a conversation standing over it. I don't think my condo neighbors would even know I'm running it.
Just got to make sure the main breaker gets turned off before firing it up.

Oct 11, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #5,135 of 11,282
!! New(er) Firmware for older R7s with V2 HW - IN4 Optical, no external 10M clock input, and same functions as Asy3 !!
Bug fixes and introduces a new, Smooth version. Both asynchronous, parallel processing.

Kingwa is asking us to test parallel data processing. Please test as many inputs and modes as you can. DSD, S/PDIF, Optical. I2S, Amanero USB. Which version do you like best? Original, more Accurate or Smooth? Kingwa would like to know.

Several of us have been listening to the firmware today. These 'P_2' version hits bass fairly hard so be warned. Sounds good with my setup but could overload your system.

R7tda_Asy_P_2.jic - Replaces the older parallel firmware (like 4 days ago!) . Bug fixes. IN 4 Optical, Think accurate!
R7tda_Asy_PS_2.jic - Parallel data processing, smooth filters. A little less off the top and bottom. May be to your liking. IN 4 Optical
Find the Altera firmware file here: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!415&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #5,136 of 11,282
!! R8/ R8-HE/ R27 Asynchronous Parallel Processing Firmware !!

Kingwa asked me to notify R8/R27 users that new firmware is available. This firmware intended for R8 hardware that is modified for the asynchronous firmware (asy3) - I2S BCK/ CLK wire swap. Factory units have been shipping this firmware since Aug. 2019. Let us know what you think!

Find the firmware here (R8tda_Asy_P.jic): https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!419&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #5,137 of 11,282
!! New(er) Firmware for older R7s with V2 HW - IN4 Optical, no external 10M clock input, and same functions as Asy3 !!
Bug fixes and introduces a new, Smooth version. Both asynchronous, parallel processing.

Kingwa is asking us to test parallel data processing. Please test as many inputs and modes as you can. DSD, S/PDIF, Optical. I2S, Amanero USB. Which version do you like best? Original, more Accurate or Smooth? Kingwa would like to know.

Several of us have been listening to the firmware today. These 'P_2' version hits bass fairly hard so be warned. Sounds good with my setup but could overload your system.

R7tda_Asy_P_2.jic - Replaces the older parallel firmware (like 4 days ago!) . Bug fixes. IN 4 Optical, Think accurate!
R7tda_Asy_PS_2.jic - Parallel data processing, smooth filters. A little less off the top and bottom. May be to your liking. IN 4 Optical
Find the Altera firmware file here: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!415&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1
My optical is still at IN3, would it work ?

Oct 11, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #5,138 of 11,282
I very much appreciate all the detail and your time gk2013!
When I received my R8HE I looked into modding the R8 with the Pulsar OCXO Clocks which are [were] the same package as the Accusilicons.
Kingwa [at first] was [understandably reluctant but] very generous [I wish I could meet him as I feel he is a very honerable man] to coach me in updating the regulator to accomadate the required increase in current for the OCXOs.
It turned out Pulsar Clocks closed their doors last December.
On my Auralic Vega DAC, I would rate the upgrade from Crystek 575 to the 100M Pulsar OCXO as a very modest 15% improvement in focus, refinement and soundstage expansion - even using Pulsar's ADM7150 low noise regulator.
A year later I wound up inserting a Bybee Gold Purifier in line to the Vin to the Pulsar and I got a 15% improvement in focus and soundstage expansion on the Vega Dac.
Then I inserted another Bybee in line with the clock ground and the performance doubled.

So, a month after having the R8HE I tried a Gold Bybee in line with clock ground first and I heard a 15% improvement. Then inserted one to each clock's Vin and overall, I would say there is a 25-30% improvement in focus, soundstage width and holography.
I'm now looking into trying this mod on the SU6. I was hoping that this would also lower the noise on what I thought was the 10M Reference output that I could feed to an Uptone Ethernet Regen for when I subscribe to a streaming service.

Female soprano singers, hall reverb effects on dense choir passages and electronic reverb still highlight the flaws in my system but with the R8HE this is the first time I have ever been able to experience listening from the heart and not analyze from the head. There is plenty of natural detail to be immersed in without the presentation being spotlit.
There were plenty of times over the years where I wanted to just throw the entire system out the window like Keith Moon cantankerously throwing a television set out of the top floor window of a Holiday Inn and into the swimming pool....

If anyone is ever near central Connecticut please feel free to message me if you'd like to have a listen or even A/B with your own Audio GD Dac.

Source - Antipodes CX/EX > Singxer SU6 >R8HE >Krell Evo II Preamps > Krell Evo I Amps > Dunlavy SC VI w/Duelund CAST crossover parts
System is powered off dedicated 240V feeds and is fully balanced with pin 1 gnd open at receive ends of interconnects.

Rich M

The ByBees are magical, they improve anything and everything you put them in. I've been thinking about putting ByBees in my future R7HE, I have a few lying around from previous projects. Did you just solder two per channel on ACSS? I'm thinking to instead make a pair of cables for it so if I stuff it up I won't damage the DAC.

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #5,139 of 11,282
!! R8/ R8-HE/ R27 Asynchronous Parallel Processing Firmware !!

Kingwa asked me to notify R8/R27 users that new firmware is available. This firmware intended for R8 hardware that is modified for the asynchronous firmware (asy3) - I2S BCK/ CLK wire swap. Factory units have been shipping this firmware since Aug. 2019. Let us know what you think!

Find the firmware here (R8tda_Asy_P.jic): https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!419&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1
Hi Scott -

Thanks as always for keeping the troops in order. I had to pause for a while with the updates. Things were getting a bit overwhelming, I wanted to absorb all the goodness of the simple clock and V2 board updates. I actually went back to V3S just to have a firmware that worked well with all source material in my rig w/o (IMHO) too big a set of sacrifices. I admit, I also still love the NOS2... just me.... something about it just works and makes me grin with good ol' Redbook, which is the vast majority of my music.

I skimmed back in the thread for the wire swap, but couldn't locate it. I know I read it...

If you'll indulge, please. Could you point me toward the post number or another reference? I may be willing to do another quick hardware mod. I just can't cope with the noises from depth / rate changes and PCM to DSD changes along with any little warble noises from DSD. I admit ... I'm done with testing. If it's a supported format, it needs to play well. I am in listening vs. testing mode and V3S is wonderful for listening. It has not let me down. I've tried a number of other firmwares that do one thing better for one format or another... but I find myself going back. I use solely I2S, so from what very little I understand - this new firmware could work well.

If Kingwa is factory shipping new units.... then I'm willing to give it a go. It'll be tried and true.

With thanks,

Patrick

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #5,140 of 11,282

I was already testing R7tda_Asy_PS_2.jic (got them from Magna Hifi) and its really, really good! Haven't tested R7tda_Asy_P_2.jic, right now I enjoy PS too much :)
No switching noise (pops) at all - sound is gorgeous!! (NOS is best)

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #5,141 of 11,282
I already tested Parallel version 1, i's more liquid and natural sounding compared to "serial" firmware. Also the distance in sound difference between OS and NOS is bigger in favor for NOS. I found the spaciness in OS more "fake" than before, but that's partly taste i think.
Tomorrow i'm gonna try Parallel version 2, both smooth and normal (accurate?)

I have a "older" R7 (previous R2R7) dac with optical as 3th input on the backplane. Last week i was at Magna and Jos soldered a little and flashed a litlle, so now i can use the new firmware for optical on 4.
Settings on the front for choosing inputs is like this now:
AES
OLD 1, NEW 2
COAX
OLD 2, NEW 2
Optical
OLD 3, NEW 4
HDMI
OLD 4,NEW 5
USB
OLD 5, NEW 6
Input 3 is now "available" for eventually a clock inlet

Jos is real magician :)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #5,142 of 11,282

I'm in the same boat - I have the older R7 (previous R2R7) with Opt IN3 and HDMI/I2S IN4 running from the U16 (bloody marvelous) - Any possibility the new Firmware will work correctly?
Certainly keen to try it out ....

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #5,144 of 11,282
Running R7tda_Asy_PS_2 firmware in NOS mode (there is only one) - this is fantastic :trophy:
Imaging is better with NOS. Running it with p2 and enjoying it more than os8. NOS does not run in parallel, so it is basically the same as before if i am not mistaken, not sure at all.

The parallel implementation seems to need further adjustments but in the mean time, nos is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back