New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #5,101 of 11,276
Which firnware are you using ?
L
Which firnware are you using ?
I just got the R8HE about two months ago so would that be Asy3?
Also to note, it behaves identically fed USB or i2S.
Kingwa mentioned that this noise has not been reported. Also that my unit did not ship with latest Amanero FW but told me to hold off with that upgrade and to update with the new R7/R8 release first ["to be released in a couple of days"].
My source is an Antipodes CX server/EX renderer into Singxer SU-6 DI

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #5,102 of 11,276
Looks like there has been some good progress on Kingwa's new DDC -

http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&id=31256&page=0&star=4 (use Google Translate)

Audo GD DDC.jpg

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #5,103 of 11,276
Kingwa sent over the TDA Asy parallel processing firmware for the older R7s without 10M external clock capability (not R7 2020). Same features and functions as 'Asy3'. I just loaded it up and holy cow on OS 8x! Enjoy and report bugs here and to Kingwa.

You can find the R7 Altera firmware file "R7tda_asy_P.jic" in cloud location below....
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!415&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #5,105 of 11,276
Kingwa sent over the TDA Asy parallel processing firmware for the older R7s without 10M external clock capability (not R7 2020). Same features and functions as 'Asy3'. I just loaded it up and holy cow on OS 8x! Enjoy and report bugs here and to Kingwa.

You can find the R7 Altera firmware file "R7tda_asy_P.jic" in cloud location below....
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!415&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

thanks for sharing the files mate.

Tried the new firmware with my R7HE, but unfortunately it's made the DSD playback noise problem that I have even worse than Asy3 or Asy.

For whatever reason, I only get good DSD playback on TDA_Syn and the older V3 firmwares, and this has been tested with both USB and HDMI I2S from a singxer SU-6 (+ U16 when it works...). The popping noise on sample rate change is way too loud on these firmware tho, I'd worry for my speakers/headphones and eardrums.

SQ wise, I thought OS4x and 8x with the new parallel processing sounded fine... but i still prefer NOS so i guess the firmware has no effect for me haha.

Will update Kingwa after I do more listening on the new firmware, in case i encounter any further bugs.

Cheers,
KJ

Oct 9, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #5,106 of 11,276
Yes, I’m having issues with DSD64 with the new parallel firmware. Worked OK with Asy3.

It does sound differently on OS. I have no electrical power for a few days so further testing is not possible at this time.

Oct 9, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #5,108 of 11,276
thanks for sharing the files mate.

Tried the new firmware with my R7HE, but unfortunately it's made the DSD playback noise problem that I have even worse than Asy3 or Asy.

For whatever reason, I only get good DSD playback on TDA_Syn and the older V3 firmwares, and this has been tested with both USB and HDMI I2S from a singxer SU-6 (+ U16 when it works...). The popping noise on sample rate change is way too loud on these firmware tho, I'd worry for my speakers/headphones and eardrums.

SQ wise, I thought OS4x and 8x with the new parallel processing sounded fine... but i still prefer NOS so i guess the firmware has no effect for me haha.

Will update Kingwa after I do more listening on the new firmware, in case i encounter any further bugs.

Cheers,
KJ

Uploaded "R7tda_asy_P.jic" and tested all sample rates up to 384kHz and native DSD64 - DSD512. Testing on Singxer SU6 (via I2S HDMI port to R7) and the integrated Amanero USB interface. Technically everything works well. Very well! NO clicks or pops at all between tracks; no noise or whatsoever. I did not have any issue with older firmware btw.
Soundwise - first impression is very promising - more music; less technical.

In regards to your problem: Do you have DA7 v1 boards or v2 boards? V1 boards are not fully compatible with new firmwares.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #5,109 of 11,276
Uploaded "R7tda_asy_P.jic" and tested all sample rates up to 384kHz and native DSD64 - DSD512. Testing on Singxer SU6 (via I2S HDMI port to R7) and the integrated Amanero USB interface. Technically everything works well. Very well! NO clicks or pops at all between tracks; no noise or whatsoever. I did not have any issue with older firmware btw.

In regards to your problem: Do you have DA7 v1 boards or v2 boards? V1 boards are not fully compatible with new firmwares.
Did you have clicks and pops with older FW ? And what software do you use to play the music files ? The pops are really loud with mine (previous version of TDA Asyn)

Oct 9, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #5,110 of 11,276
Just a remark about the new fw, with the r7he fed by the u16 through hdmi in OS8 mode. In these condition, not much is happening right in the middle of the speakers and the soundstage lacks depth. In os4 mode, everything is fine.

When using the amanero, everything is just fine with os8. The amanero gives a warmer sound.

Also, the dac is much quicker to react to pcm rate changes and so far, no issue with the u16 hanging. I guess with the new di, things should be awesome. I am surprised by how good the internal amanero is with the new fw.

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #5,111 of 11,276

July-Aug 2019 R7HE , V2

Oct 10, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #5,112 of 11,276
To avoid doing any mod, something like this can be used:

https://www.soontai.com/IMPEDANCE-CONVERTER.html
The Uptone Audio Ethernet Regen 10M Clock input is 75 ohm - https://uptoneaudio.com/products/etherregen [comments for 75ohm at bottom of URL page]
The Singxer SU6 10M BNC is 75 ohm output.
Mutec REF 10 Master Clock is 75 ohm.

Can you guys add some color as to the case for choosing to fix 50 ohm input on the Audio GD DDC? Sorry if not up to speed on this.
I attempted to source/pay for an Accusilicon 10M OCXO sample from their California office(?) and they never responded. This Chinese company has some outstanding noise plots. It'd be great if Kingwa could provide a master clock product to further round out the product line using this outstanding OCXO.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #5,113 of 11,276
The Uptone Audio Ethernet Regen 10M Clock input is 75 ohm - https://uptoneaudio.com/products/etherregen [comments for 75ohm at bottom of URL page]
The Singxer SU6 10M BNC is 75 ohm output.
Mutec REF 10 Master Clock is 75 ohm.

Can you guys add some color as to the case for choosing to fix 50 ohm input on the Audio GD DDC? Sorry if not up to speed on this.
I attempted to source/pay for an Accusilicon 10M OCXO sample from their California office(?) and they never responded. This Chinese company has some outstanding noise plots. It'd be great if Kingwa could provide a master clock product to further round out the product line using this outstanding OCXO.
The impedance could be easily modded to 75ohm and is probably 75ohm already on input 3 if you own a r7. No big deal.

Oct 10, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #5,114 of 11,276
@DACLadder Thanks for new firmware link!
I much prefer asyP to asy3. Something was just off with OSx8 on asy3.

I'm still surprised how far I've been able to keep my 1704-M7 relevant, a completely different beast from when I first bought it.
Glad I never sold it.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #5,115 of 11,276
Did you have clicks and pops with older FW ? And what software do you use to play the music files ? The pops are really loud with mine (previous version of TDA Asyn)

With the TDA_asy I had very little "clicks" when changing tracks (PCM & DSD). Not worth mentioning, but they were perceptible.
The new TDA_asyP version has no "clicks" at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back