New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 4, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #5,086 of 11,266
Using a 10M clock is less about jitter and more about timing. They can generate jitter themselves and that's where the Accusilicons come in. Timing is about ensuring each sample is played at the exact time they are supposed to, we are sensitive to this down to about 6 microseconds. While jitter is about getting the exact waveform shape, picoseconds of jitter could be audible based on the amount of *effective* non linear distortion they generate so a femtosecond clock is a good aim.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #5,087 of 11,266
Kingwa responded and said he is working on an upgrade guide for older R7 conversion to R7 2020 with external 10M clock capability. Few more days..

And after that he will cut R7 parallel processing firmware with no external clock capability intended for the older R7s. Requires no hardware modification. Just reprogram the Altera and enjoy.

So no need to upgrade the R7 hardware unless you desire external 10M reference clocking.

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #5,089 of 11,266
Good day, folks!

I finally got my hands on Master 9 and am really happy about it!

QFk1KUm.png

Now I am looking for R2R-7HE now.
This topic is a bit too large to read it, so THE QUESTION IS:

Those, who had experience with R2R-7, how do you find it?

Is it really worth it?

I want to pair it Lynx 22E---> AES/EBU ---> R2R-7 ----> ACSS ---> Master9
Could it be an optimal chain?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #5,090 of 11,266
Good day, folks!

I finally got my hands on Master 9 and am really happy about it!

QFk1KUm.png

Now I am looking for R2R-7HE now.
This topic is a bit too large to read it, so THE QUESTION IS:

Those, who had experience with R2R-7, how do you find it?

Is it really worth it?

I want to pair it Lynx 22E---> AES/EBU ---> R2R-7 ----> ACSS ---> Master9
Could it be an optimal chain?
To be optimal, for my tastes, this setup needs to be paired with a heaphone set which has some meat to the bone. Using the he9 together with the r7he, i find the mids too recessed on the he-560.

The best value dac in the current situation would be the r8he. Very close apparently to the r7he. However, a new fw which will improve things soundwise is coming along for hte r7/r7he and might not be available for thr r8/r8he. Still, the r8he is a huge value. Same for the r8. The r8he is better than the r7 it seems.

Be cautious with blocking the m9's ventilation putting another gear on top.

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #5,091 of 11,266
To be optimal, for my tastes, this setup needs to be paired with a heaphone set which has some meat to the bone. Using the he9 together with the r7he, i find the mids too recessed on the he-560.

The best value dac in the current situation would be the r8he. Very close apparently to the r7he. However, a new fw which will improve things soundwise is coming along for hte r7/r7he and might not be available for thr r8/r8he. Still, the r8he is a huge value. Same for the r8. The r8he is better than the r7 it seems.

Be cautious with blocking the m9's ventilation putting another gear on top.

I have rather wild zoo of different headphones, including some rarities like AMT, so, there is always a wide palette of flavors for any mood and genre.
Still, the 800s are most common ones.
As on picture above, it was right out of the box, just a first take for an audio-altar memory, so now it runs @ 37 Celsius, what I think is pretty OK for pure A-class.
As for R7HE, I am looking for ultimate solution for next 5 years, so Master9 + R7HE looking like a match made in heavens for it's price tag, keeping in mind it's ACSS connection and pre-amplifier functions for stationary solid state amp and acoustic.

u72sY6D.png

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #5,092 of 11,266
I have rather wild zoo of different headphones, including some rarities like AMT, so, there is always a wide palette of flavors for any mood and genre.
As on picture above, it was right out of the box, just a first take for an audio-altar memory, so now it runs @ 37 Celsius, what I think is pretty OK for pure A-class.
As for R7HE, I am looking for ultimate solution for next 5 years, so Master9 + R7HE looking like a match made in heavens for it's price tag, keeping in mind it's ACSS connection and pre-amplifier functions for stationary solid state amp and acoustic.

u72sY6D.png
I can't recommend the r7he enough. It has no weak point.

Oct 5, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #5,093 of 11,266

u72sY6D.png
You have some exotic Hungarian Vinyl!

Oct 5, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #5,094 of 11,266
cautious with blocking the m9's ventilation putting another gear on top.

I'm more concerned about dust getting in, so I put fan filters on top. I asked Kingwa about it and he said ventilation is just for show, because some customers complained about it. He said it's fine if I block them completely, it won't affect reliability. The only exception is if you start stacking other gear on top, you should keep a minimum gap of 3 to 5cm.

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #5,097 of 11,266
Kingwa responded and said he is working on an upgrade guide for older R7 conversion to R7 2020 with external 10M clock capability. Few more days..

And after that he will cut R7 parallel processing firmware with no external clock capability intended for the older R7s. Requires no hardware modification. Just reprogram the Altera and enjoy.

So no need to upgrade the R7 hardware unless you desire external 10M reference clocking.

I havent been checking in on this thread, but i did reach out to Kingwa last week re. the firmware bugs I reported to him with Asy3 on my R7HE. He told me then, new firmware coming soon in Oct, happy to hear that and hoping it will also be a clear SQ upgrade (c'mon.. we are spoilt and expect that of him right? hahaha)

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #5,098 of 11,266
I havent been checking in on this thread, but i did reach out to Kingwa last week re. the firmware bugs I reported to him with Asy3 on my R7HE. He told me then, new firmware coming soon in Oct, happy to hear that and hoping it will also be a clear SQ upgrade (c'mon.. we are spoilt and expect that of him right? hahaha)
Yep. This is a promising update. :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #5,099 of 11,266
I reported steady very low level static in right channel only on 8X OS on 192K PCM. Switching to 4X OS I get half the static rate but louder coming out the left channel - Right channel is clean.
My R8HE is clean on everything else PCM including Roon OS to 384K on 192K files in R8HE 8X OS mode. I do get steady low level static on both channels on the one DSD256 file I have.

Oct 8, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #5,100 of 11,266
I reported steady very low level static in right channel only on 8X OS on 192K PCM. Switching to 4X OS I get half the static rate but louder coming out the left channel - Right channel is clean.
My R8HE is clean on everything else PCM including Roon OS to 384K on 192K files in R8HE 8X OS mode. I do get steady low level static on both channels on the one DSD256 file I have.
Which firnware are you using ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back