New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 24, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #5,987 of 11,259
I would consider a set of osborn eos elite...

I've listened to the Osborn Eos Reference and the Hulgich Ella (the Nina is essentially the same thing without the woofer section).

While I am of the opinion the Hulgich Duke flagship easily outclass the Osborn Monument Reference Elite flagship, but if it was between the Nina and the Eos, I'd take the Eos. It's just more open and complete sounding.

Don’t want OT, but thank you for the recommendation, I contacted Osborn and ask about shipping and costs :wink:

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #5,990 of 11,259
Can you please give more information's?

I am planning to get a Pro-Ject Stream Box DS2 T.
You won't need a pi nor a di20 with this device as it outputs spdif.

Many people use a two node solution, some with roon. One node is doing the streaming, playback and decoding, and sends the decoded data to a second node over ethernet. This second node relays the data as usb audio to a ddc, like the di20. Or directly to a dac. The second node is a typically a small fanless headless computer with modest processing power, so will not contaminate around too much.

May 24, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #5,991 of 11,259
Don’t want OT, but thank you for the recommendation, I contacted Osborn and ask about shipping and costs :wink:

I just noticed the HE-1 in your signature. With a neutral pre like the HE-1 the treble on the Eos will sound a bit hard, they sound best with a warmer setup like with a HE-9 as pre.

Also as I forgot to mention, my room is about 60 cubic meters. You do need to turn up the volume on the Eos for them to shine, so either a medium sized room like mine if you don't listen too loud or if you like to listen loud in a small room. They don't play well on low volumes.

Don't want to go too OT, if you want impressions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #5,992 of 11,259
Dear Ventrino,

Indeed, totally agree with FredA, I would look at the Amanero drivers first, look at CPU, Memory Paging/s and I/O monitoring while playing your songs to understand the load on your laptop, and would as well ensure you are using a good USB cable from your laptop to the DAC, which could be the cause of your issue with high bitrate songs If too many retries/resend are occurring...

May 25, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #5,993 of 11,259
Dear Ventrino,

Indeed, totally agree with FredA, I would look at the Amanero drivers first, look at CPU, Memory Paging/s and I/O monitoring while playing your songs to understand the load on your laptop, and would as well ensure you are using a good USB cable from your laptop to the DAC, which could be the cause of your issue with high bitrate songs If too many retries/resend are occurring...
@Ventrino. This is all correct, but I would start with "DPC latency" checker. Google for this, I can't give recomendation not knowing details of your OS. And then google for perfect streaming configuration of your OS. From my experience Amanero driver can generate periodic pops in the WASAPI Push mode. Changing buffer size doesn't help much, but WASAPI Event mode typically works without interruptions.

If someone don't know what is push/event mode, forget for a moment about DPC latency, you need to go back to basics of your player and configure it for bit-perfect mode with WASAPI Event or ASIO driver. If you need help, post your configuration, give all details, possibly in a separate thread and post a link.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #5,994 of 11,259
Thank you for the suport. For the moment the DAC is out of my system. Busy with the analog rig and work.
I will try to implement your recommendations on my pc or replace it with a network streamer.
I will report in the near future. Keep in touch.

May 30, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #5,995 of 11,259
Guys is there any detailed manual for the R7 2020 ?
just got this dac few hours ago and am getting hard time following the online one in AudioGD site

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #5,996 of 11,259
When i want to change the Oversampling it give me FAIL ? its nether 0 or n ,, just 1

Edit ...
OK i figured the problem ,,
the Os is flipped with the Dith and the Mode flipped with Pll, so my menu is like this :
Dith │ Pll │ Os │ Mode │ Di
Does anybody have it like this ?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #5,998 of 11,259
Jun 1, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #5,999 of 11,259
When i want to change the Oversampling it give me FAIL ? its nether 0 or n ,, just 1

Edit ...
OK i figured the problem ,,
the Os is flipped with the Dith and the Mode flipped with Pll, so my menu is like this :
Dith │ Pll │ Os │ Mode │ Di
Does anybody have it like this ?

Hi, I don't own the R7 2020 either but I know that Kingwa started to build the program system for the DI20/HE to accept the ext XO input. He then transplanted the programming to the R7, and named it R7 2020. The only "FAIL" report I know of with the DI20HE is when the EXT XO is chosen and the XO is out of spec or missing. I am pretty sure this is what happend for You. In some way You set the the EXT XO input active....
Just my two cents...
Hope You can solve this by reading the manual @DACLadder linked or by taking contact with Audio-gd, to guide You right.
/Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back