New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 29, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #5,371 of 11,276
The balanced isolation transformer shown is basically like fancy line conditioner, usually has 1 or 2 transformers to isolate from the AC source and may have some filters too. I use one from Decware:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZLC.html

It does not have any surge protector, just a 10 Amp, apparently at the surge protector may affect the sound.

Isolation transformers are great with common mode noise but does nothing to differential. It also suffers dynamics loss and buzzing with DC on mains as it saturates the primary windings on toroids. If you're using anything with toroids in them, it's best to use a DC Blocker like the Isotek Synchro cable or Holton Precision DC Blocker One. Isotek also makes a number of conditioners that filters both common and differential mode noise, but they do suffer from dynamic loss for power amps due to other reasons. Best to use conditioners on source components and amps plugged into DC blockers.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #5,372 of 11,276
Isolation transformers are great with common mode noise but does nothing to differential. It also suffers dynamics loss and buzzing with DC on mains as it saturates the primary windings on toroids. If you're using anything with toroids in them, it's best to use a DC Blocker like the Isotek Synchro cable or Holton Precision DC Blocker One. Isotek also makes a number of conditioners that filters both common and differential mode noise, but they do suffer from dynamic loss for power amps due to other reasons. Best to use conditioners on source components and amps plugged into DC blockers.
Hmm,,, thanks for the info. I will look into these. I already use some filter cables for 10 MHz and higher. But I don't have buzzing mor loss of dynamics with mine.

Another option is using regen like this:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/monarchy-ac-regenerator.html

Affordable but not able to drive. many components, max 100W, so may need a few of them.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #5,374 of 11,276
Hmmm, ironically, DSD sounds so great on R7, at least it is not called R2R7 anymore. Maybe it should be called Rdsd7. I am still on the old TDA Asyn FW.
Can't wait to update to DSDclk FW soon but I am making lots of changes to my setup so need to wait. I am trying to upgrade my PC first and try to fix AC mains issue.
The DI would be of great interest too, surely the HE version would be a solid upgrade. ,,,,,

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #5,375 of 11,276
In this post in kingwa's forum, someone mentioned a precision voltage regulator/stablizer improved the sound a lot:
http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&Id=30857
You can use google translate to read it.

Its input is 180V-240V, output 220V+-1V, very accurate. But I cannot find a similar product for 110V input/output.

This post owner "ljq_ws" tried several ways to improve the power quality in this post(he mentioned a isolation transformer, a power processing center and so on), and finally get a huge improvement on this precision purified AC voltage stabilizer. And he paid only around 1700 rmb on this(It means under $300). He thought "In theory, as long as the 220V standard sine wave 50 Hz frequency is supplied to the M series equipment, the effect of the regenerative power supply can be approached. "

In the other post, he built an extra power line into his house for his audio equipment only.
http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&Id=30651
You can use google translate to read it.

That's the steps before he can get such improvement with such a stabilizer.

I did some research, no such a similar product for 110V input/output which can do 110V+-1V output and under $500 in North America or from China.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #5,376 of 11,276
Not totally true.iMO. An important caractersitic of a large transform is its ability to block high-freq noise, starting from around 80Khz. This is a natural porperty of big transformers to have a limited bandwitch. As for using an isolation transformer on an amp, you need it to have a VA figure bigger than the sum of the transformer in it. And an even bigger power cord to feed the transfo. In practice, you can't go wrong using them on digital equipment, and for a big dac like the r7, one should use a big cord to feed it, bigger than the cord used on the dac itself.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #5,377 of 11,276
Not totally true.iMO. An important caractersitic of a large transform is its ability to block high-freq noise, starting from around 80Khz. This is a natural porperty of big transformers to have a limited bandwitch. As for using an isolation transformer on an amp, you need it to have a VA figure bigger than the sum of the transformer in it. And an even bigger power cord to feed the transfo. In practice, you can't go wrong using them on digital equipment, and for a big dac like the r7, one should use a big cord to feed it, bigger than the cord used on the dac itself.

Regardless of how big your isolation transformers are, all toroidal transformers are impacted by DC on mains, it interferes with their transient power draws. Unless you're running dedicated circuits for your amps you're going to get DC on mains, you don't have to hear the buzz. I have no issues with isolation transformers on source components like DACs, but if hooked up to amps you really do need to filter out DC for best performance. Another reason I really like Kingwa's products since they are all R-core transformers which are not affected by DC on mains, well except the amps.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #5,378 of 11,276
Regardless of how big your isolation transformers are, all toroidal transformers are impacted by DC on mains, it interferes with their transient power draws. Unless you're running dedicated circuits for your amps you're going to get DC on mains, you don't have to hear the buzz. I have no issues with isolation transformers on source components like DACs, but if hooked up to amps you really do need to filter out DC for best performance. Another reason I really like Kingwa's products since they are all R-core transformers which are not affected by DC on mains, well except the amps.
Interesting, why are the r-core immune to DC? I know they don't hum, but the output voltage must have some some issue caused by it, do they? My isolation transfo indeed hums a little, but i put it on isolation feet, it cured the issue.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #5,379 of 11,276
Interesting, why are the r-core immune to DC? I know they don't hum, but the output voltage must have some some issue caused by it, do they? My isolation transfo indeed hums a little, but i put it on isolation feet, it cured the issue.

I could be wrong but I believe it's related to transformer resistance. As we know toroidals have lower resistance than r-core, since they let everything through and is thus ideal for power amps, and the bigger the torroid transformer (the lower their resistance), the more they are impacted by DC on mains.

A lot of people who do install a DC blocker for their power amps report a significant improvement in dynamics. Just because you don't hear a hum doesn't mean your amp isn't impacted by DC.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #5,380 of 11,276
Hmm,,, thanks for the info. I will look into these. I already use some filter cables for 10 MHz and higher. But I don't have buzzing mor loss of dynamics with mine.

Another option is using regen like this:
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/monarchy-ac-regenerator.html

Affordable but not able to drive. many components, max 100W, so may need a few of them.

The Monarchy looks a lot like the Lite P100... I am using one of those and it works very good.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #5,381 of 11,276
I never tried such a pc setup. I guess as far as outputting a clean signal, the new di-he will extremely tough to beat. And day to day variability will be minimal. The rest depends on how good the amarero is, by this i mean as a usb receiver. This depends much on the way the code it written inside it. The big improvment is the amanero will use the same timing as the clean side does and therefore, playing something incoming from the usb input, no reclocking will be required. So jitter will be ultra-low and so the noise level because of fancy isolation and power supplies. With digital equipment, high-freq noise has an insidious effect, the HE will help a lot with this.

So my prediction is with equivalent XOs used, the HE should come on top because of the fancy high-end power supply.

I see even the regular version as an attempt from Kingwa to offer the best ddc under 1k. The HE version aims higher. Just my 2 cents.

My experience with the isolated Amanero in an R1 was it was at least as good as my modded SU-1 via i2s..
I think LampizatOr uses Amanero also in some of their stuff... seems to get many wonderful reviews, especially from daily users
So my guess is that all the experience that Kingwa and his team has gained from tweaking Amanero will finally pay off in his new DI, this DDC allowing an appropriate environment/budget for Amanero top performance.

Oct 30, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #5,382 of 11,276
I assembled a valab silver litz mini xlr acss to hook up the r7he and he9. I already had the same wire used between the he9 and master-3. And wow! The soundstage and dynamic have made a jump. This wire is BIG. A 3-wire braid barely works with mini xlr, i had to do some magic tricks to assemble it. This wire is amazing but so tough to work with.

To do the 3-wire, i first had to extract the wire from the cable i had bought without connectors, took a while. I assembled two pairs, the first took 5-6 hours, the second, just 3. But worth the effort. This cable sounds amazingly well.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #5,383 of 11,276
Again, with these cables, my system is completely revealed. The one just added was the missing ingredient. Now i get the smoothest, most dynamic, most rich, airy, spacious, impactful sound, putting me "in the zone" like never before in my living room. This is as spectacular as a real live event. I know i said this many times but again, add another layer of layering, more impact on the impacts, more spatial cues in the depicted space, more listening pleasure, deeper involvment and joy, then you get the picture.

With all this, i don't need the new DI, i will cancel it.

Just kidding.. :)

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #5,385 of 11,276
If this is the same silver litz as from MS Audio... I have a couple of their RCA interconnects and, upon installation, I observed one of the very few times I could notice a difference between interconnects... I wish Audio GD would offer these for ACSS...
Yes, this is it. But you can't use the whole cable for mini xlrs. But it will work with 4pin xlr, even though the hole on the neutrik is too small if you keep the external layer. These are hard to tin too.

My experience with diy cables is the litz wire with enameled threads is the best thing there is. The wire basically makes the sound. And this silver litz is something very special for whatever reasons, and by far the best i have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back