New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 29, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #5,356 of 11,260
Funny, that's how I have my speakers set up (save for a couple degrees of toe-in).

Every speaker is different. I.e. Wilsons are meant to be facing the sitting position, Osborns are meant to shoot straight down the room, Kingwa's speakers are meant to be toed-in 5 to 10 degrees. When speakers are not toed in enough, the frequency tend to drop off starting from HF.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #5,359 of 11,260
Every speaker is different. I.e. Wilsons are meant to be facing the sitting position, Osborns are meant to shoot straight down the room, Kingwa's speakers are meant to be toed-in 5 to 10 degrees. When speakers are not toed in enough, the frequency tend to drop off starting from HF.

I know. :) It's also a personal preference thing, to a certain extent, as with any of this stuff.

@FredA. Nice! HE version?

He did indeed order the HE version (see post 5355). Also whipping up a batch of popcorn myself!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #5,362 of 11,260
Looking forward to DI reviews. I was thinking my first DDC was the Off Ramp 5. If you include USB32 and Amanero USB I have used eight USB DDCs with the M7/M7S. A lot cash spent in this area!

Hope the DI20 crushes the U16. The U16 uses 45/48 MHz clocks if that makes a difference compared to 90/98. Interesting Kingwa offers both speed combos but could be an edge.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #5,364 of 11,260
@FredA I'm excited as everyone else to read your impressions after you get the DI-20HE.
And ya, if it outperforms the U16, it will sure beat the SU6. I've read the u16/su6 are pretty much comparable.

If DI-20HE is noticeably better than your U16 I'm sure to order one myself.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #5,365 of 11,260
I
@FredA I'm excited as everyone else to read your impressions after you get the DI-20HE.
And ya, if it outperforms the U16, it will sure beat the SU6. I've read the u16/su6 are pretty much comparable.

If DI-20HE is noticeably better than your U16 I'm sure to order one myself.
I guess i will know not long after i receive it. Knowing Kingwa, i would very surprised otherwise.

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #5,367 of 11,260
What are your thoughts on how this would perform against an I2S input such as the pink faun I2S card?
I never tried such a pc setup. I guess as far as outputting a clean signal, the new di-he will extremely tough to beat. And day to day variability will be minimal. The rest depends on how good the amarero is, by this i mean as a usb receiver. This depends much on the way the code it written inside it. The big improvment is the amanero will use the same timing as the clean side does and therefore, playing something incoming from the usb input, no reclocking will be required. So jitter will be ultra-low and so the noise level because of fancy isolation and power supplies. With digital equipment, high-freq noise has an insidious effect, the HE will help a lot with this.

So my prediction is with equivalent XOs used, the HE should come on top because of the fancy high-end power supply.

I see even the regular version as an attempt from Kingwa to offer the best ddc under 1k. The HE version aims higher. Just my 2 cents.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #5,369 of 11,260
In this post in kingwa's forum, someone mentioned a precision voltage regulator/stablizer improved the sound a lot:
Its input is 180V-240V, output 220V+-1V, very accurate. But I cannot find a similar product for 110V input/output.

Chinese electrical grid could have more saturation than the U.S., and I'm sure it varies from city to city within both countries. Also China uses 50hz a/c while U.S. uses 60hz, 220v vs 110v.
And who knows the quality of their neighborhood step down transformer poles.
Such parameters and variables might not produce the same benefits of such a device. Could be good, but I'd say ymmv.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #5,370 of 11,260
In this post in kingwa's forum, someone mentioned a precision voltage regulator/stablizer improved the sound a lot:
http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&Id=30857
You can use google translate to read it.

Its input is 180V-240V, output 220V+-1V, very accurate. But I cannot find a similar product for 110V input/output.
The balanced isolation transformer shown is basically like fancy line conditioner, usually has 1 or 2 transformers to isolate from the AC source and may have some filters too. I use one from Decware:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZLC.html

It does not have any surge protector, just a 10 Amp, apparently at the surge protector may affect the sound.

There are other more fancy isolators using 2 toroidal transformers and filters, which perhaps work better.

The medical grade isolation transformers have ways to give constant voltage/AMP and filter out spikes but then they are in hospitals and factories so lots of noise! And the transformers can also be noisy
Then also such thing as uninterrupted power supply (UPS) using batteries, which is basically like a AC-DC-AC regenerator except they use battery for it.

The general industry for protecting PC, medical equipments use UPS but they are noisy (using fans), though I found this:

https://www.purepoweraps.com/1500.htm

Perhaps using HE for all the products would be nice but my PC has no built-in regen

Maybe King wa can resurrect his HE regenerator for using on non-Audio-gd products ??! If he is reading this ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Mr G
Back