New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #2,536 of 11,282
I just installed a new power conditioner (Furman 15i) and went back to the older power cables as the Furukawa's did not fit with large plugs. Installed V2 Accurate (OSx8) and wow what a different sound versus previous power setup. Highs are much, much smoother/ balanced and the bass is tight and deep with this power feed. The highs are clear and I can appreciate the "accuracy" and precision of this firmware. Not as big a stage as V2 Smooth but the clarity is amazing. Percussion has good snap and drive. I can see why Accurate sounds good in speaker systems. I will try AS tomorrow.

It is going to be an interesting few months. I have never had a DAC or any other piece of equipment responded so readily to wire changes. Highly recommend to try different cables and tune up your equipment for best experience with the R7.

Kingwa told me he installs R7V2S on new production builds. I sent back that HeadFi can't come close on agreeing best firmware or mode. And to keep up the good work cranking new firmware for us to try.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,537 of 11,282
I just installed a new power conditioner (Furman 15i) and went back to the older power cables as the Furukawa's did not fit with large plugs. Installed V2 Accurate (OSx8) and wow what a different sound versus previous power setup. Highs are much, much smoother/ balanced and the bass is tight and deep with this power feed. The highs are clear and I can appreciate the "accuracy" and precision of this firmware. Not as big a stage as V2 Smooth but the clarity is amazing. Percussion has good snap and drive. I can see why Accurate sounds good in speaker systems. I will try AS tomorrow.

It is going to be an interesting few months. I have never had a DAC or any other piece of equipment responded so readily to wire changes. Highly recommend to try different cables and tune up your equipment for best experience with the R7.

Kingwa told me he installs R7V2S on new production builds. I sent back that HeadFi can't come close on agreeing best firmware or mode. And to keep up the good work cranking new firmware for us to try.
Just can't believe tonight. My R7 sounds like The benchmark. Treble is accurate and smooth to a level you only hear with the very best sources available. It can also play harshness to perfection when fed some. It's not hiding anything. Very tight and clean bass also.

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #2,539 of 11,282
R7_V2.jic (R7V2S) is the patch for for R7S3
I would have stayed on R7S3 for much longer had you not said that. R7S3 has a safety net in the highs (maybe a low pass filter) that let me play rough tracks louder -- I was very aware the hardware/software OS was off.

FredA was really feeling R7V2A (R7_V2A1.jic) so I put that in a couple hours ago, and holy phuck this is emotional. All frequencies stand out and impress -- flat response w/o sounding flat if that makes sense? Makes R7S3 sound sterile and boring by comparison. The highs were set free in a major way compared to R7S3. You wouldn't believe those highs are coming from NOS3 w/o software-OS. The mids penetrate like a 6SN7 tube pre and the bass is not lean (just like Fred likes it). I've got sound creeping into the far corners of the room again. I'm surprised this is an "accurate" flavor -- I would have thought this was the "hybrid" sound. I have no problem waiting for v3 and letting v2 smooth&hybrid remain a mystery.

And tonight's winning track? Caruso by Christian Willisohn
This is sounding youtube worthy

oh and the reason USB didn't work was either because of the Intona or the home made USB cable I use. Plugged in a generic USB and it worked, but I ran back to the F1. I'm going to give i2s one more try when my 5v Teradak arrives. BTW if anyone is looking to run their computer on a 4amp 19v (80watt) LPS, these are priced way under HDPlex's 10amp 19v (200watt) offering ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEROZONE-1...ND-Linear-Power-Supply-for-Audio/111981559186
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-12V-15V-19V-24V-50W/2656215_32808337783.html

I am gonna ask Kingwa to do marketing work for him soon.
wait - your not getting paid for this? Didn't you tell him that your the reason I bought mine? You probably can't remember that far back :)

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #2,540 of 11,282
Hello,

I've switched from smooth V2 IN4 optical to the accurate for the same configuration on my master 7S and I do much prefer the accurate.
It simply is more coherent and well accurate :) high frequencies are not in greater quantity but only better defined and in the mix, everything sounds in the mix at its right place. Neutral and involving at the same time at OSx8 on speackers.

Regarding smooth, i've played with OSx8 and Nos3 but the latter was V shaped in my setup, tons of bass and high were starting to get not pleasant. Still have to take an ear to NOs with accurate.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #2,542 of 11,282
Kingwa said last night if you think Accurate and Smooth go too far in OS x8 try playing with the x4, x2, OS NOS jumpers to warm up the sound accordingly as OS is stepped down.

I had to go back to V2 Smooth as I have so much clean high frequencies now with the new power conditioner. Let me adjust and recalibrate my ears before proceeding.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,544 of 11,282
The cloud drive for firmware download has been cleaned up. Removed all the prototype firmware versions. The 'IN4 Toslink' directory renamed 'IN4 Optical' to match Audio GD documentation. Optical compatible files still use "-T" to denote IN4 optical or Toslink capability. The letter "O" for optical could be confused with the number zero "0" so T= Toslink.

NO CHANGES... Here's recap of what you can find on the cloud drive...
R7V2S = R7_V2.jic (Release V2 Smooth to manufacturing and general field upgrade. Standard version for IN4 I2S. This is the default version)
R7V2S-T = R7V2S-T.jic (Release V2 Smooth with IN4 Optical capability to manufacturing and general field upgrade)
R7V2A = R7_V2A1.jic (Release V2 Accurate to manufacturing and general field upgrade. Standard version for IN4 I2S)
R7V2A-T = R7V2A-T.jic (Release V2 Accurate with IN4 Optical capability to manufacturing and general field upgrade)
R7V2AS = R7_V2A.jic (Release V2 hybrid Accurate/ Smooth variation. Standard version for IN4 I2S)

Also in the "R7DA Xilinx' directory file 'R2R7DA.jed'. This is the excessive pop fix for older R2R 7s. New factory R7s already have this upgrade.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #2,546 of 11,282
So majority now likes the new R72A1 now? As opposed to the new SW R72S. both Kingwa and Magna uses the latter latestSW as default for new R2R7, perhaps better choice for initial burning in?

We are just testing other versions and making comments. I don't think there is consensus on firmware type or mode (OS/NOS). It will take me months to sort out!

Kingwa told me that more people besides the clowns around here like R7V2S. So he chose V2 Smooth for production. If ordering you could always request something else.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,548 of 11,282
This afternoon i loaded R7_V2A.jic (R7V2AS after using R7_V2A1.jic (R7V2A). JAccurate was a little to bright/clean on my set. The AS version is just enough more smooth to make the tonal balance about right. Crispy mids and heights, rich but tight bass. I like it.

EDIT: used OS8x
Opps u answered this when was typing the question on AS firmware, thanks! Sounds like AS is more forgiving than A1

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,550 of 11,282
I would have stayed on R7S3 for much longer had you not said that. R7S3 has a safety net in the highs (maybe a low pass filter) that let me play rough tracks louder -- I was very aware the hardware/software OS was off.

FredA was really feeling R7V2A (R7_V2A1.jic) so I put that in a couple hours ago, and holy phuck this is emotional. All frequencies stand out and impress -- flat response w/o sounding flat if that makes sense? Makes R7S3 sound sterile and boring by comparison. The highs were set free in a major way compared to R7S3. You wouldn't believe those highs are coming from NOS3 w/o software-OS. The mids penetrate like a 6SN7 tube pre and the bass is not lean (just like Fred likes it). I've got sound creeping into the far corners of the room again. I'm surprised this is an "accurate" flavor -- I would have thought this was the "hybrid" sound. I have no problem waiting for v3 and letting v2 smooth&hybrid remain a mystery.

And tonight's winning track? Caruso by Christian Willisohn
This is sounding youtube worthy

oh and the reason USB didn't work was either because of the Intona or the home made USB cable I use. Plugged in a generic USB and it worked, but I ran back to the F1. I'm going to give i2s one more try when my 5v Teradak arrives. BTW if anyone is looking to run their computer on a 4amp 19v (80watt) LPS, these are priced way under HDPlex's 10amp 19v (200watt) offering ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEROZONE-1...ND-Linear-Power-Supply-for-Audio/111981559186
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/GZLOZONE-LPS-50-MKI-HIFI-50VA-Linear-Power-Supply-DC5V-9V-12V-15V-19V-24V-50W/2656215_32808337783.hyah
Ayah,this LPS may be a budget upgrade foe a MacBook Pro so I won’t need to run I battery which is less realiable And may help preserve battery but I would need a thunderbolt adapter. Hopefully the amp would match. There is also a British guy who does LPS for Mac and other computers. And if u add a if I DC purifier, it may help more

wait - your not getting paid for this? Didn't you tell him that your the reason I bought mine? You probably can't remember that far back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back