New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 19, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #1,171 of 11,259
I had the DAVE here briefly and I know what I experienced. Nothing I've experienced before with headphones came close. You can find and read my review of it on here if you like. It had nothing to do with any of the points you address. It brought out the feeling I had when listening to music live -- the actual feeling.

Back to the R2R 7, what I enjoy about it is the sheer feeling of enjoyment it brings to listening. It is the R2R DAC I've always wanted after listening with a system that used a home-built one. It's like having a high-res capable DAC that has the magic of the old R2R DACs.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,172 of 11,259
You understood correctly except i use also a Schiit Wyrd upstream. Before i was putting the intona first, now it's the wyrd. For this setup to be optimal, you need many things ( but don't forget the goal is to minimize the risk of ground loops. It may not be the best sounding setup in all cases):

1. Clean usb power fed to the usb isolator: the Schiit Wyrd only has 2.5uV of noise and a quality usb cable with proper shielding between the data and power line Is used. The conductivity of the cable Is excellent as well. Excellent data transmission will help also.
2. A usb isolator which can output clean usb power and again a quality usb cable. I use one with two trunks for that purpose as it provides perfect isolation between data and power. This cable feeds the f-1 so a high-quality usb cable is mandatory.

Note that The intona could be also fed with a lps using a two-headed usb cable.
I see, thanks for clarification. I did read that supposedly anything placed before the Intona is not really important, as it isolates everything that is entering the Intona. Apparently you don't even need a good cable feeding in. From reading the Wyrd description, which is mainly to rid of USB instability or other signaling issue as data is transmitted out of the computer USB, it makes sense to have that placed right after the computer and before the Intona, which then does the isolation. Schiit does not promise an improved sound quality. Did you notice an sonic difference with Wyrd?

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,173 of 11,259
I see, thanks for clarification. I did read that supposedly anything placed before the Intona is not really important, as it isolates everything that is entering the Intona. Apparently you don't even need a good cable feeding in. From reading the Wyrd description, which is mainly to rid of USB instability or other signaling issue as data is transmitted out of the computer USB, it makes sense to have that placed right after the computer and before the Intona, which then does the isolation. Schiit does not promise an improved sound quality. Did you notice an sonic difference with Wyrd?
When i got it, yes, i noticed an improvment. It isolates the computer and help the ddc because it improves the timing and reduces the noise level. The ddc does not work as hard and is quieter in its operation as a result. The usb cable to the wyrd is the least important, the other two have to be good.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,174 of 11,259
It's like having a high-res capable DAC that has the magic of the old R2R DACs
well said

Apparently you don't even need a good cable feeding in
I concluded the same -- the last cable really dictates the spread/balance/signature. Anything upstream of that I'd go for full transparency using short curious cables.

anybody notice a better sound when the lid and top screws were put back in? I thought it was just a coincidence, but then the cork footers made a diff, and I'd guess a stiff chassis would transmit more into those footers.

Mar 19, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #1,175 of 11,259
anybody notice a better sound when the lid and top screws were put back in? I thought it was just a coincidence, but then the cork footers made a diff, and I'd guess a stiff chassis would transmit more into those footers.

Yes, I have experiences with similar antivibration stuff and the total weight is crucial - you must find an optimal weight for your equipment. Try to use something heavy on the top of your DAC just for the curiosity.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #1,176 of 11,259
well said

I concluded the same -- the last cable really dictates the spread/balance/signature. Anything upstream of that I'd go for full transparency using short curious cables.

Could be due do it making the temperature more even inside. Those r2r boards perform better with even temp.

Just put on the rubber/cork feet i got a few weeks ago. So far, i don't see a difference but the album i am listening to is new to me. So, hard to tell.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,177 of 11,259
Have i mentioned i love my r2r 7 lately? I should have. Even playing dsd, i enjoy it. It then sounds like a much improved Sabre dac. One with no harshness whatsoever. For those not decided yet between a delta-sigma dac vs a r2r one, if you can convert to dsd on the fly with software, you get both dacs for the price of one, and both are just great.

Seems to me the bass has gained some impact and definition... Rubber/cork pads?

Also, Audirvana plays better when not attached to the p.o.c. of itunes. Not bad for mainstream sw, but playback quality is not their main concern.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,178 of 11,259
Have i mentioned i love my r2r 7 lately? I should have. Even playing dsd, i enjoy it. It then sounds like a much improved Sabre dac. One with no harshness whatsoever. For those not decided yet between a delta-sigma dac vs a r2r one, if you can convert to dsd on the fly with software, you get both dacs for the price of one, and both are just great.

Also, Audirvana plays better when not attached to the p.o.c. of itunes. Not bad for mainstream sw, but playback quality is not their main concern.

“For those not decided yet between a delta-sigma dac vs a r2r one, if you can convert to dsd on the fly with software, you get both dacs for the price of one, and both are just great.”

Not sure what this means/what you are saying.
Please elaborate.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,179 of 11,259
The bass is being "drawn out" over a longer period, which poses the question, is that artificial or being unlocked from the recording - it's definitely not capacitance like you'd get from long low awg cables.

But I get the craziest tails from the SU1 - i went a bit overboard with skinny short wires (silver included) and it turned out to be exactly what the SU1 wanted. Definitely get your DDC before dialing in the wires.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,180 of 11,259

Yah, i don’t use itune using audirvana. I do use itune internet radio but can one play itune radio via audivirvan? Not much of point unless that way it improves the sound. So u feel the DSD is just as good as Pcm now? That was what 6 moon concluded

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,181 of 11,259
“For those not decided yet between a delta-sigma dac vs a r2r one, if you can convert to dsd on the fly with software, you get both dacs for the price of one, and both are just great.”

Not sure what this means/what you are saying.
Please elaborate.
It just means that if you can convert pcm to dsd using a software player, you are doing the same job a native dsd dac would do with pcm data. Fed with dsd, the r2r 7 sounds just like an exellent delta-sigma dac (it does not just convert data back to pcm, it plays dsd as such like a dedicated delta-sigma dac would do). I for one prefer it playing pcm but not by a big margin. Dsd playback has its charms.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,182 of 11,259
The bass is being "drawn out" over a longer period, which poses the question, is that artificial or being unlocked from the recording - it's definitely not capacitance like you'd get from long low awg cables.

But I get the craziest tails from the SU1 - i went a bit overboard with skinny short wires (silver included) and it turned out to be exactly what the SU1 wanted. Definitely get your DDC before dialing in the wires.
Bass being absent for a while for me is related to noise in the digital domain. Jitter has a great influence on bass response. Each improvement i made to my transport brought more stability over time.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #1,183 of 11,259
Yah, i don’t use itune using audirvana. I do use itune internet radio but can one play itune radio via audivirvan? Not much of point unless that way it improves the sound. So u feel the DSD is just as good as Pcm now? That was what 6 moon concluded
No, audirvana does not support radio streaming,

I prefer pcm but the r2r 7 sure can play dsd very well. At least up to dsd128. With dsd256, the only time i tried, it was not so good but i had an issues with my digital transport (usb chain...). Or maybe it was the conversion itself that made the sound a little strange. I have not tried native dsd files yet with the r2r 7.

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #1,184 of 11,259
No, audirvana does not support radio streaming,

I prefer pcm but the r2r 7 sure can play dsd very well. At least up to dsd128. With dsd256, the only time i tried, it was not so good but i had an issues with my digital transport (usb chain...). Or maybe it was the conversion itself that made the sound a little strange. I have not tried native dsd files yet with the r2r 7.
The conversion of PCM to DSD256 is probably too wide a gap unless u use DXD. So it may otherwise sound unnatural. Native DSD files will take u to the next level I believe but u should get recordings made from DSD directly, not from PCM recording. Otherwise it will be similar to what u do with PCM to DSD conversion on audirvana.

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,185 of 11,259
The conversion of PCM to DSD256 is probably too wide a gap unless u use DXD. So it may otherwise sound unnatural. Native DSD files will take u to the next level I believe but u should get recordings made from DSD directly, not from PCM recording. Otherwise it will be similar to what u do with PCM to DSD conversion on audirvana.
Well as i mentioned, i don't have dsd files. It's not something you can buy everywhere. I assume you are right and actual native dsd files should sound significantly better. I will buy some or get some eventually. Have old records from original analog tape been digitally archived using dsd? If so, i am interested. Anything that is archived as pcm, i want to listen to it as such.

That's that simple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back