New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 30, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #10,936 of 11,368
Nov 2, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #10,937 of 11,368
Curious for those how have the option in the Audio-GD DAC NOS 0 and NOS 1, which do you prefer and why. Not sure I really can hear a difference.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #10,938 of 11,368
Curious for those how have the option in the Audio-GD DAC NOS 0 and NOS 1, which do you prefer and why. Not sure I really can hear a difference.
To me N1 sound more Boring/Raw, NO sound more interesting, like an extra processing happening, specially with masterclock connected.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #10,939 of 11,368

It depends on the DAC and firmware. In some cases there is no difference, it's there for future use.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #10,941 of 11,368
Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the R-8HE MK3 and R-7HE MK3? I see that the R-7 is larger, more expensive etc. Has anyone heard both?
The digital board is more elaborated and features an additional input, the analog outputs have better psus too. Due to the fact that the chassis is smaller, the r8he will run significantly hotter. The r7he runs just warm.

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #10,942 of 11,368
The digital board is more elaborated and features an additional input, the analog outputs have better psus too. Due to the fact that the chassis is smaller, the r8he will run significantly hotter. The r7he runs just warm.
I guess the R7 also has a better power supply?

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #10,944 of 11,368
I guess the R7 also has a better power supply?
Not sure if the transformers are different but they are better laid out in the r7.

Power sections are separated by an aluminum divider to prevent noise interjection.

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #10,945 of 11,368
Not sure if the transformers are different but they are better laid out in the r7.

Power sections are separated by an aluminum divider to prevent noise interjection.
By power supplies, i mean the regulation on each digital/analog pcbs. The he versions of course benefit from an ac power regenerator located in the front compartment.

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #10,946 of 11,368
Im doing cable pairing because I want to connect both dac(R1N/R8H2) with 1 ACSS 1 XLR. This turned out to be a good practice for differentiating the transients responds between the two.

R1N and R8H2
First of both inputs XLR and ACSS sounds amazing. The first 24 hours XLR was actually best to my liking, it felt like a better overall sound. After my ears adapted, I noticed that the lowend on ACSS was not that emphasized, my first thought was like - "damn, I was wrong all the whole about this!" - I found the XLR better!

As my ears got more familiar in the test, ACSS got more of the attention, the lowend felt more like a part of the music, not only better leveled, but this is where they split XLR and ACSS, now they sounded like two different bands(XLR/ACSS) playing the same music.

ACSS feels one step closer, and gives a better representation of where the music has been recorded, the ambient, the emotions from the musicians playing the instruments.

I don´t believe XLR can be paired to sound equally as good no matter the price, the music already feels like musicians are playing with two sets of instruments, one for each XLR and ACSS, and the latter is just the best for me in terms of hearing the tuning of the guitars and drums.

However, I still have to choose XLR for one of them as it still sounds great, but if I really want to listen dedicated to music with Susvara I know it will be the R8H2 that gets the ACSS.

R1N is on 500-700hours. I will revisit the test again when it hits 2000hours.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #10,947 of 11,368
My mini system, the 3rd and last i build in this lifetime, is complete.
My software laments and torments however are ongoing; my fault for messing with software alchemy-based "sound", but.. i did need a workspace system, so, on to my question if you'd be so kind to help out;

Go to Audio-GD's English homepage, you'll see this:
Asio driver for Amanero USB interface for test

Does anyone know what this executable does?
Mind you, know; not think!
I have a good .exe extractor, inside's a bunch of ASIO dlls and inis (for 32bit and 64bit respectively), except they're inside a folder called "Amanero".
Hence my asking.. is this bypassing official Amanero drivers altogether? Meant to work alongside them? For select, special configurations only?
There isn't a single mention anywhere in his website.

Link for the actual .zip file, it's safe: http://www.audio-gd.com/setupasio110.zip

* If you need a reliable extractor, you can safely get this one to have a look: https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #10,948 of 11,368
In my R8HE MKIII N0 is a more polite presentation, N1 is more rough. Soundstage is wider in N0 also, and less sibilances. N1 is more sharp and focused, narrowed soundstage, and due this it can trick you, that it's closer to the real thing, until you realize that some balance is missing and edges can be hard to bear at high volume.
As Audio-GD claims, N1 is Old NOS, and I agree, it reminds me my previous R2R-2 in NOS mode, still being the R8HE MKIII better in every regard.
I also agree with @OCC7N N0 sounds somewhat processed, wich I don't specialy like, feels like some trickery is going on...

PS. I'm on speakers.

Nov 4, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #10,949 of 11,368
In my R8HE MKIII N0 is a more polite presentation, N1 is more rough. Soundstage is wider in N0 also, and less sibilances. N1 is more sharp and focused, narrowed soundstage, and due this it can trick you, that it's closer to the real thing, until you realize that some balance is missing and edges can be hard to bear at high volume.
As Audio-GD claims, N1 is Old NOS, and I agree, it reminds me my previous R2R-2 in NOS mode, still being the R8HE MKIII better in every regard.
I also agree with @OCC7N N0 sounds somewhat processed, wich I don't specialy like, feels like some trickery is going on...

PS. I'm on speakers.
Yes I agree. I likes the NO with masterclock. Its really amazing how this gets. There are more information everywhere. Try it with masterclock!

Im predicting the future options @gimmeheadroom Kingwa is working on a masterclock!

Nov 4, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #10,950 of 11,368
Yes I agree. I likes the NO with masterclock. Its really amazing how this gets. There are more information everywhere. Try it with masterclock!

Im predicting the future options @gimmeheadroom Kingwa is working on a masterclock!

I'll believe it when I believe it. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back