New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 10, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #10,591 of 11,305
The internal amplifiers of the active speakers are designed specifically for their channels, while we try to associate at best an amp to given speakers.
In the Focus line of Dynaudio, for instance, each channel has its own amplifier. There are as many amplifiers as channels. They were designed to work together, and to produce an optimal result.
This is the advantage of active speakers.
A theoretical advantage, yes, but apparently seldom bettering a passive speaker + amp combo chosen with care.

Aug 10, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #10,592 of 11,305
A theoretical advantage, yes, but apparently seldom bettering a passive speaker + amp combo chosen with care.
It's not a theoretical advantage, but a practical one for people who choose to buy such gear.
Of course, a very good combo should beat it, though its price would be higher.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #10,593 of 11,305
It's not a theoretical advantage, but a practical one for people who choose to buy such gear.
Of course, a very good combo should beat it, though its price may be higher.
I tried finding an amp for SCM40 and I realised I went over the price of the speaker itself and the sound was not even close. I needed to add a price which costed as much as the SCM40A speaker itself to match it!

Take a listen on the 50 model

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #10,594 of 11,305
I did not listen to active speakers, except the Dynaudio Focus 50 and Focus 30.
It's not only speakers with amps for each channel. There's a good DAC inside + a streamer + other advantages, such as Dirac Live for convolution… And all the components were designed to work together.
For an equivalent sound quality with disparate devices, it's necessary to spend twice or three times the price.

This is a review by Chris from Audiophile Style of their small brother, Focus 10:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/dynaudio-focus-10-active-loudspeaker-review-r1155/

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #10,595 of 11,305
Of course, a very good combo should beat it, though its price would be higher.
I fully agree on the practical advantage. I interpreted your
There are as many amplifiers as channels. They were designed to work together, and to produce an optimal result.
as referring to the resulting sound quality. I also expected this to benefit form the customized design, but was so far disappointed.
(I forgot to mention that I also had Buchardt Audio actives here for a month or so, but returned them in the end.)

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #10,596 of 11,305
There are as many amplifiers as channels. They were designed to work together, and to produce an optimal result.
as referring to the resulting sound quality. I also expected this to benefit form the customized design, but was so far disappointed.
(I forgot to mention that I also had Buchardt Audio actives here for a month or so, but returned them in the end.)
Not all the devices are equal.
Personally, I'm not interested in active speakers, no matter how good they might be. The reason is that once you have them, there's nothing to tweak. The sound may be good, but all the fun of the hobby is gone, unless you replace them by something else.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #10,598 of 11,305
I totally hear you.

The HE-2 Mk2 is AB. Mind you, with the AC regenerative gain stage units, and the relatively high bias, it still uses the same as the Master 3A at idle.
Thats reason, I like Class D, hoping it will reach up to the AB quality soon(maybe in 2030). Still sounding cold and rounded off, soft = "neutral" most people say instead of just being honest.
_

My eyes are set on actives because of the technicalities. Mostly speed and transients, which I think the AGD has a lot of. The SCM40A had such and transient experience, the lowend had its own dimension. The speed was so engaging, it locked me into listening mode. It was not a casual listening experience, but pure enjoyment. Its uplifting.

Im not gonna "pickup" that heavy speakers againg though! 36kg each. That was a challange to set up on spikes alone!

Actives and 3way midfield is my next. Im a little afraid of digital actives, even though EX MACHINA GANYMEDE has caught my attention, DSP is maybe the way to go for me since I still enjoy the UAD-Solo DSP card with also SHARC chips. Being able to eq and saturate the clinical/clean HiFiMans with tubes and fine distortion plugins, without choking the soundstage/air is just another step up!

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #10,599 of 11,305
They can be more optimized than that, they can have one amplifier per driver: so a 3 way speaker has an optimized amplifier for the bass, another amplifier for the middle register and another one for the treble, and this in each speaker. Usually a Class D amplifier in the bass and Class A/B amplifiers for the mid range and treble.

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #10,600 of 11,305
They can be more optimized than that, they can have one amplifier per driver: so a 3 way speaker has an optimized amplifier for the bass, another amplifier for the middle register and another one for the treble
That's exactly what I was trying to say, but with my poor English, I used the word 'channel' instead of driver.
You formulated it correctly. :)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #10,601 of 11,305
That's exactly what I was trying to say, but with my poor English, I used the word 'channel' instead of driver.
You formulated it correctly. :)
Yeah bi-amped tri-amped…many different words🤣👍

If we look at the principle of an amp. It should not alter the sound only amplify. Its the best!

Its like watching a movie with low fps vs high. The one with higher fps will look weird but its more true to the performance.

Aug 11, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #10,602 of 11,305
You formulated it correctly.
My active monitors have 3 gain adjustments per speaker (LF, MF, HF), but each speaker has 2 drivers. So the truth is somewhere in-between) Besides the speakers, the sound can be significantly adjusted with an active sub (cooler, warmer, more sub bass, more weight to the vocals, more pronounced vocals, etc.) In fact, I initially was quite surprised as to how much depth a sub adds to the scene and how much a sub can change the sound balance (adjusting the sub alone, one can fine tune the sound of the HF and MF). If this is not a proper tool for audiophiles, what is?! )

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #10,603 of 11,305
Thats reason, I like Class D, hoping it will reach up to the AB quality soon(maybe in 2030). Still sounding cold
You're wasting money heating your flat that should have been spent on amplification :wink:

Class A, all the way...

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #10,604 of 11,305
You're wasting money heating your flat that should have been spent on amplification :wink:

Class A, all the way...
True my AGD system was en extra heater here in summer 🤣

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #10,605 of 11,305
Guys, what's the difference between the Master 19 and Master 9, is it just the power supply?

Same question regarding the R28 and R27. Thanks.
We should have our AGD "stickies" on the models ones for all. Im in question if all R27 is the same but the PSU is different. I know the question has been answered so many times, I just wish I could find the answer easier

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back