New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 13, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #10,246 of 11,323
Random: DI20 out of stock. Just sayin
1681377053582.png

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #10,247 of 11,323
I don’t have a terminating resistor in series with the winding. If you check the circuit for connection by capacitance, then in series with the pad under the resistor, a capacitance of 0.143 mF is measured, which approximately corresponds to the Wima capacitor installed nearby.

photo_2023-04-13_16-20-14.jpg

Next, I refined the AES input circuitry as I see it through the gauges.

photo_2023-04-13_16-42-00.jpg

Apr 13, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #10,248 of 11,323
shots of R8HE MK2

It looks really beautiful in person. I was curious because I saw yours pictures @Mix80

Attachments

• 7182BA1F-CECF-436B-A140-620AA6A50837.jpeg
    7182BA1F-CECF-436B-A140-620AA6A50837.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 441AB8C9-7D9D-421B-9DB2-76DC89370F8D.jpeg
    441AB8C9-7D9D-421B-9DB2-76DC89370F8D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • E136C691-ABC9-49DC-ADEB-B2B5EFB55B3C.jpeg
    E136C691-ABC9-49DC-ADEB-B2B5EFB55B3C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • FB66DD2D-302E-47AF-B372-557546215237.jpeg
    FB66DD2D-302E-47AF-B372-557546215237.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 13, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #10,249 of 11,323
I don’t have a terminating resistor in series with the winding. If you check the circuit for connection by capacitance, then in series with the pad under the resistor, a capacitance of 0.143 mF is measured, which approximately corresponds to the Wima capacitor installed nearby.

Opened up the HE7 mk2 and has the same yellow transformer as your R7HE mk2 and no 110 ohm resistor on the transformer. So clearly two different AES/EBU circuits used.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #10,251 of 11,323
Just sayin, For those who want a DI20, it is in stock at Magna hifi https://magnahifi.com/audio-gd-di-20-digital-interface-usb-spdif-i2s-dsd512-pcm384/
Those left instock are high valuable. People don’t know what they are missing out of for the price.

My hifi friend has it as reference when trying more expensive dacs, yes the NON HE model.

It is a pure steal that price. Can’t believe I forgot to look at magnahifi😅

Magna is my main recommendation, I like them for the patience and very technical help, honest people.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #10,252 of 11,323
I believe I have an R28 in the post (second hand)... just as likely not, if so, will be second time in a year I have been taken by a criminal masquerading as a gumtree trader.

Obviously I am mildly nervous about the whole thing...

but, as an aside, and having a right inability to discuss a basic topic over in the sound science 'basement'; I created this...(mostly in an attempt to quell offtopic posting, encourage 'discussion')

I post it here cause in the middle I take to task with the way in which some people misrepresent 'objective facts'.
I have no idea the effects on noise in a circuit that digitally curtailing the volume via the source, will have on resultant measurements, as an example..

I CAN see that little honesty is represented here by a person who should know how to discuss these things better.
clearly has an agenda
I feel a channel imbalance established fairly early in the review may have gone on to show results even in the two channels respectively having hardware filters to pass through.. (outboard to the DAC chip in a way that most budget parts on market would prefer to use built in software filters cause cheap and bench well), we know R2R by their nature just have different strengths...

whilst I comment and ramble enthusiastically and no doubt miss the mark occaisionally.. (eg I do actually know about 'significant digits'.. (a zero in front of a decimal point isnt one...)

As an exercise in thread warrioring, seemed like picking apart some negative press was worthwhile.

I feel Audio-Gd give so much (exceptional) value and performance for such frugal coin outlay, I can understand why some target these parts in 'take downs', and try to generate negativity...
King Was' service channel appears outstanding to me as well- I suppose we all have differing opinions.

This post was purely for a SS sub, being 'digital transport quality and why it *may* matter'
Probably not hyper relevant here given some aspects of R2R operating in NOS mode, but.. posted here for 'fun' and 'ah-hah' moments for any who may feel the same with regards to the " scientific investigation" here-in being performed.

(its probably a good 'background stream' /audiobook, but there are a few parts I am encouraging others to look at body language of the 'salesman')
The intent is fun, and 'community'.

cheers y'all

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #10,253 of 11,323
I believe I have an R28 in the post (second hand)... just as likely not, if so, will be second time in a year I have been taken by a criminal masquerading as a gumtree trader.

Obviously I am mildly nervous about the whole thing...

but, as an aside, and having a right inability to discuss a basic topic over in the sound science 'basement'; I created this...(mostly in an attempt to quell offtopic posting, encourage 'discussion')

I post it here cause in the middle I take to task with the way in which some people misrepresent 'objective facts'.
I have no idea the effects on noise in a circuit that digitally curtailing the volume via the source, will have on resultant measurements, as an example..

I CAN see that little honesty is represented here by a person who should know how to discuss these things better.
clearly has an agenda
I feel a channel imbalance established fairly early in the review may have gone on to show results even in the two channels respectively having hardware filters to pass through.. (outboard to the DAC chip in a way that most budget parts on market would prefer to use built in software filters cause cheap and bench well), we know R2R by their nature just have different strengths...

whilst I comment and ramble enthusiastically and no doubt miss the mark occaisionally.. (eg I do actually know about 'significant digits'.. (a zero in front of a decimal point isnt one...)

As an exercise in thread warrioring, seemed like picking apart some negative press was worthwhile.

I feel Audio-Gd give so much (exceptional) value and performance for such frugal coin outlay, I can understand why some target these parts in 'take downs', and try to generate negativity...
King Was' service channel appears outstanding to me as well- I suppose we all have differing opinions.

This post was purely for a SS sub, being 'digital transport quality and why it *may* matter'
Probably not hyper relevant here given some aspects of R2R operating in NOS mode, but.. posted here for 'fun' and 'ah-hah' moments for any who may feel the same with regards to the " scientific investigation" here-in being performed.

(its probably a good 'background stream' /audiobook, but there are a few parts I am encouraging others to look at body language of the 'salesman')
The intent is fun, and 'community'.

cheers y'all

Man your are verby! I guess i share you views. We are in an era where science is the new religion. And the preachers are pretty much all unqualified. They know they are, and they don't care, they just do their job.

Knowing what you don't know is really the first step to sanity.

I won't watch your whole video though. I prefer learning to everything else these days. Time is rare, finding the truth is all that really matters to me when i have time to spare. And listening to good music.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #10,254 of 11,323
Experiment on what these two can bring before the DI20HE: to see if the isolation in DI20HE is better or not…

Reclocker and LPSU

Attachments

• 1681762532102.png
    1681762532102.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #10,255 of 11,323
You got them already?

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #10,256 of 11,323
You got them already?
Yeah changed the ugly Chord TT2 psu out with an iFi Elite. Burnin in...LOL Chord uses 2.5mm DC. I had to use the adapter. Who tf uses 2.5mm DC connectors like for real!

I need to purchase some usb cables

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #10,257 of 11,323
I've just added an external clock to my R7HE and the DAC defaults back to the internal clock mode every time I power down the unit. I have to set to external each time.

Is this normal, it's a bit annoying?

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #10,259 of 11,323
Both my MK2 DACs restore external clock IF the 10M clock signal is present at time of powering on the DAC AND external cock was selected on prior power cycle ELSE internal.

The DI20 used the operate like you describe - always booted internal clock. Had to change the DI20’s faceplate microcontroller f/w to fix.

Apr 20, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #10,260 of 11,323
Hoping 'not noise' (some threads love innane stuff like this post);

My 'new' (second hand) Audio-Gd turned up today.
(faith in people restored, thankyou S)

The Audio-Gd 3.1 (dual Wolfson 8741 Delta Sigmas) can now go to the bedroom stack, or be on rotation as a loaner DAC (more likely)..

Nirvana Unplugged is second spin (Norah had pole position simply for being in the disc spinner on setup).

this is a 'full albums affair' romance.. so easy to get caught up in the music.
Kurts' voice is gravelly and sweet and the whispers of the band (and placements) far away is fantastic.

Thankyou Kingwa- you are a magician! (Legacy to give the world music?!)

Bigger than the Playstation 5, and equal value in terms of silicon and chips netted for the coin; outstanding!!

Dont know what you've got till its' gone.
(For all the ladder DACs that came before; I have been missing you. Not anymore!!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back