New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 6, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #10,187 of 11,305
I would not recommend a filtering stick on the usb audio port, though you can alway try. But with the usb audio out of a silent transport, it most likely won't help.

https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002496408109.html
Now you're saying you don't recommend it for either?
I love how the guy at the link saw the item and thought 'a usb filter for audio? I'd better make the text huge at 100% for those people. I don't have a problem hearing out of that'.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #10,188 of 11,305
Uf, I will need to learn to understand your recommendations :ksc75smile:

Thank you!
It sounds challenging but the principle is simple. Dont keep your music player or your files on the System disk where windows is installed.

How is the sound chain?

If you dont have room for one disk more in your laptop, install the musicplayer to a thumbdrive and compare.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #10,189 of 11,305
I love how the guy at the link saw the item and thought 'a usb filter for audio? I'd better make the text huge at 100% for those people. I don't have a problem hearing out of that'.
I use this https://jcat.eu/product/usb-enhancer/

It is connected right under the Ethernet port on my motherboard.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #10,190 of 11,305
I use this https://jcat.eu/product/usb-enhancer/

It is connected right under the Ethernet port on my motherboard.
I like it, but isn't that price getting into PCI-E card territory?
Does anyone think a cheap usb3 pci-e card will sound better than what my motherboard provides, or would I have to bite the bullet for a proper audio card?
The mobo port is bound to be a bummer.

Apr 6, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #10,191 of 11,305
No as i said, the point is i use it to mitigate the noise from the stick on a regular usb port. Given this port is independently regulated from the usb audio port, i have no issue with using it. It seems to help. On the clean port of the usbridge sig, used just to carry audio, there is no point to it. Especially if no power is drawn and if the vbus is very well isolated from the dbus inside the usb cable. This dongle just filters the vbus by the way.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #10,192 of 11,305
You say you have no issue with using the filter on the stick's port. Does that mean there was no discernable improvement, as well?
The usbridge sig looks good, but it still goes into a regular port, and though it could still help, why is it a pi only device? Would it be more worth it to just cave and get the motherboard audio usb port card, for a pc? You probably can't beat that. What was your impression upon installing the usbridge?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #10,193 of 11,305
Using a pi processing board (compute module) gives you access to many audiophile OS options. The standalone pi itself and mini streamer based on it use no fan, no internal power supply or hard drives. The usbridge sig, just like the Holo audio streamer, uses a proprietary board built around the pi compute module (cm 3b+). A low-jitter clock is used for usb as well as discrete regulators that ensure ultralow noise levels. Again, like the Holo. So these custom boards are made especially for audio applications. Isolating the peripherlals (ethernet, usb) from the usb audio port is very important. Same for the processor.

Another example of such small Linux - based streamers, though not pi-based, is the sotm neo ultra.

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #10,194 of 11,305
If using USB a great option is to use an Intona. Its so good at cleaning source noise it often makes the PC quality entirely redundant. Use any old noisy PC and stop chasing low noise source options.

1680832793486.png

Apr 7, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #10,196 of 11,305
If using USB a great option is to use an Intona. Its so good at cleaning source noise it often makes the PC quality entirely redundant. Use any old noisy PC and stop chasing low noise source options.
I'm a believer that keeping a clean source is much more rewarding than taking signal from a compromised source and then trying to clean it. But that's just me..

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #10,197 of 11,305
There are 3 issues i know of: noisy disk if not ssd, noisy fan (speed-regulated by switched voltage) and the switching psu. All 3 can be fixed.
Exactly right.

The easiest is the SSD/HDD: I moved all the data to the SSD and unmounted the HDD. Using Roon, I can stream music locally (via LAN, no WiFi) from my PC to the mini as a Roon end point.

The switching PSU is resolved by replacing the internal part (the original PSU) and adding an external LPS.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32809706...l.0.0.55204aa6sAdiVJ&sku_id=12000030379993146

With regards to the fan, I'm hopeful that most of the issues with power supply will be resolved as a part of the PSU replacement process. As the mini is primarily used for music, I never hear the fan working and the device is just slightly warmer than a piece of aluminium with nothing inside. There is a more radical solution: to remove the fan and put the mini on pedestals with the lower cover removed (to improve ventilation), but at this point I don't think it will come to this..

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #10,198 of 11,305
Exactly right.

The easiest is the SSD/HDD: I moved all the data to the SSD and unmounted the HDD. Using Roon, I can stream music locally (via LAN, no WiFi) from my PC to the mini as a Roon end point.

The switching PSU is resolved by replacing the internal part (the original PSU) and adding an external LPS.
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32809706...l.0.0.55204aa6sAdiVJ&sku_id=12000030379993146

With regards to the fan, I'm hopeful that most of the issues with power supply will be resolved as a part of the PSU replacement process. As the mini is primarily used for music, I never hear the fan working and the device is just slightly warmer than a piece of aluminium with nothing inside. There is a more radical solution: to remove the fan and put the mini on pedestals with the lower cover removed (to improve ventilation), but at this point I don't think it will come to this..
There is this for the fan

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/mac-mini-dc-conversion-linear-fan-controller-kit-mmk

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #10,199 of 11,305
All this power talk makes me ask about Aquarius V5. Im considering a big upgrade from iFi Powerstation.

But I have heard that passive filters is the way to go. How can I see if the Isotek Aquarius is passive/active?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back