New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 7, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #10,201 of 11,368
Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #10,202 of 11,368
Optane is actually QLC not TLC nor SLC

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00125041

QLC takes 80 mW compares to a Samsung 980 pro which takes a lot more (6 to 8 W)
OOOh I see now. Thanks for correcting me here.

I can now see that my own drives(870 EVO and 980 Pro) are SLC cache based both and have TLC.

Pure SLC are expensive to make and more common in USB thumbdrive.

THANKS YOU FOR ENLIGHTEN ME:pray:

____

But interestingly the EVO and Pro does not sound the same. My PRO has more separation/3D and analog umpfh.

___
Im gonna order different thumbdrives and see if they were as good as the CF card we listened to at the session

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #10,203 of 11,368
Makes total sense.
Ok I came down to this after a long session of blindtest. Shuffled the placement of the players so I forgot which one is who. The picks are not everytime but mostly picks.

SPOILER: I never chose the System disk 980 or DATA/870 out of all the tracks I listened to

TB= cheap Thumbdrive

1. Dedicated foobar2000 installation: JCAT/TB
2. Dedicated foobar2000 installation: Samsung 980 depended on music but JCAT won overall.
3. Dedicated foobar2000 installation: NAS/TB

The losers.
4. DATA/EVO/870 and Windows/PRO/980. I could seriously not pick between these two.

Now the last two disk did not have the same advantage. However the system disk was the same model as number 2. Samsung 980. And the DATA/EVO/870, have some steam libraries(games)

___

So if you are using a laptop only I think you should invest in a good USB Isolator.

(I am going to test the Ideon 3R USB Reainassance mk2 Blackstar because my cable to the AGD system is 5 meters)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #10,204 of 11,368
Why is using an hdmi cable for a dedicated audio out what's catching on with dac and transport designers? If you only need 2 wires, 1 for clock, and one for data, wouldn't 2 rca cables have more juicy contact and better cable options than hdmi? And what was wrong with the AES use?
On my old monitor, dvi on a fat cable with dongles looked better than hdmi. DVI can't do 2160p though. It's the way audio has always been going, sigh. They turned down 78rpm to 33 to fit more. But at least they made the tonearms lightweight and balanced instead of making sure they're heavy with a spike at the end. I'm the guy who went with compact little audio cassettes of it anyways a lot of the time, because good luck with the whole album being good or portable if it is, who thinks he was a loser for having stock cables for a while. With programmable cd players, you could cut out all the junk. Best feature ever. Ok ok, at least they made something. Showoffs.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #10,206 of 11,368
Anybody in this threads that owns the R27RE and R8HEMK2 or R7HEMK2...and "hungry" headphones

Im interested in your thoughts and impressions.

From my experience with my HE-9 LE is more, more than enough for my Susvara.
-listening at 20/100 now😲

R27RE 25 ohm: 10W
HE-9 LE 25 ohm: 15W

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #10,207 of 11,368
Hey peoples, 'loving this thread'..
as a soon to be user of an R28 (holding breath till I turn blue).. very happy to upgrade. (presently been loving a 'lowly' Audio-Gd NFB 3.1 DAC..).
All this talk about digital clean up and 'drives' (so happy not in the sound science basement! arrrghhghg)
any how I had a lot of success with iFi USB iPurifier3 - having not had a chance to read the 600+ thread pages, figured I could make a little post (and hope it isn't too redundant).
I am fortunate to have some nice PC motherboards built to highest pricepoint and aiming for electrical perfection .. (things like a gigabyte S.O.C. champion, .which have a couple of USB controllers and do allow for attempting to keep some buses dedicated..) and have a few older SSDs (going back to original Intels, being SLC).
so much of what I read here is stuff my mind, as a tech, lives and breathes, and experiencing this stuff... (having owned PCs since the eighties always putting audio first as their 'cool tech factor')

so knowing I am unlikely to get a whole tonne of negativity for a simple post on digital (that it might not always be 'equal' in quality from 25$ disc transports from the supermarket as the Sound Science dungeon seems to hold as gospel)..

this video is longer than it needs be, and I wish I hadn't accidentally reset the song, as it would have been a more obvious showing..
this is posted elsewhere on head-fi,.. but a little talk here on the topic.. I know these are BASIC and certainly not 'galvanically isolated' level kit.. but for cheap bits they do prove well worth their weight... (they are heavy too!)

With any luck I will have my upgraded AudioGd inline next week. (excited)

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #10,208 of 11,368
If everyone agrees the DI-20 improves the r7, what if Kingwa took the fpga out of the R7?
If anyone with audio gd goes somewhere where they are talking about other dac's, people who thought it improved them, should tell the others, if they are happy with theirs.
I'm not that interested in going to others, I'm not in a new market for a long time after my R8. I just sit here grumbling about how, obviously, since my pc and monitor finally got the power cables that were better, an audio usb port card is what is non-upgraded. But the DI-20 is roughly the same price, and probably does more. I know I'll want both. This is stupid to care about. But my video game framerates are max for my monitor, and I'm still only entry level in audio. New speakers are next. My bookshelves are cheap and over 35 years old, I went headphones instead. I can get much better used ones for around half their original price, even if since I'll still be headphones first, I won't care too much if they only cost twice as much as these.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #10,210 of 11,368
Greetings dear community, Please help me with a problem. AES EBU input is not working for me in my DAC R7HE MK2. I discovered this recently, although I have owned the device for a long time.
When the port is activated, crackling and noise are heard, connecting a signal source does not help, no sound is played from the source.
I decided to check what could be the problem.
Opened the cover, and checked the signal circuits in the AES port.
As a result, I found out that in my DAC, pin 1 of the AES port is not connected anywhere.
Pin 2 is tracked to an empty resistor space on the board. Next, the signal should go to the transformer, but my DAC does not have a series resistor in this circuit.
And only Pin 3 is traced to the transformer.

I have a question. Do any of you have any information on the resistor value on your DAC board at the AES EBU input for Pin2? I indicated this place in the photo.

photo_2023-04-10_03-54-10.jpgAES.jpg

Do you also have Pin 1 not tracked and not connected to chassis ground?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #10,211 of 11,368
Anybody in this threads that owns the R27RE and R8HEMK2 or R7HEMK2...and "hungry" headphones

Im interested in your thoughts and impressions.

From my experience with my HE-9 LE is more, more than enough for my Susvara.
-listening at 20/100 now😲

R27RE 25 ohm: 10W
HE-9 LE 25 ohm: 15W
Paul McGowan from PS Audio made a video where he said gear seems to like volume knobs the best at 2:00. I tried lowering my Windows setting to 20 to be able to do that at the same volume, and, while I lost a lot of dynamics that make my feet tap, there was something about the drivers getting more juice to do what they want to be doing. I'm back at normal for the dynamics, but life kind of sucks because of that. It seemed like my drivers actually were moving more. But the dynamics were not there, it's not a way that makes toes tap. But it was a way...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #10,212 of 11,368
Paul McGowan from PS Audio made a video where he said gear seems to like volume knobs the best at 2:00. I tried lowering my Windows setting to 20 to be able to do that at the same volume, and, while I lost a lot of dynamics that make my feet tap, there was something about the drivers getting more juice to do what they want to be doing. I'm back at normal for the dynamics, but life kind of sucks because of that. It seemed like my drivers actually were moving more. But the dynamics were not there, it's not a way that makes toes tap. But it was a way...
I believe this is true, I don´t think the amp really activates when I am at 20-35/100. Its closer to 50-60/100 when I hear its opened. Hmm.

I have read something about keeping the volume on audioplayer at full volume, because of bitperfect or something. How does this go for Windows volume?

Its a great Idea! Thanks ! :)

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #10,213 of 11,368
I believe this is true, I don´t think the amp really activates when I am at 20-35/100. Its closer to 50-60/100 when I hear its opened. Hmm.

I have read something about keeping the volume on audioplayer at full volume, because of bitperfect or something. How does this go for Windows volume?

Its a great Idea! Thanks ! :)
Oh, good point. Audirvana would nomally lock my dac at 100, but I'm busy passing my sound through soundid reference eq virtual driver for my hd800's, with a custom average eq profile measured by a dummy head with mic's in it's ears, and finding all about why they're the photo of what to try to beat with better eq for reviews of headphones for a long time ahead. That lets me adjust the volume anyhow, even though it may not be the best that it does let me.
I have no idea how anyone else can get there, actually. Need a pre-volume pot somewhere you can turn down from 100.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #10,214 of 11,368
Greetings dear community, Please help me with a problem. AES EBU input is not working for me in my DAC R7HE MK2. I discovered this recently, although I have owned the device for a long time.
When the port is activated, crackling and noise are heard, connecting a signal source does not help, no sound is played from the source.
I decided to check what could be the problem.
Opened the cover, and checked the signal circuits in the AES port.
As a result, I found out that in my DAC, pin 1 of the AES port is not connected anywhere.
Pin 2 is tracked to an empty resistor space on the board. Next, the signal should go to the transformer, but my DAC does not have a series resistor in this circuit.
And only Pin 3 is traced to the transformer.

I have a question. Do any of you have any information on the resistor value on your DAC board at the AES EBU input for Pin2? I indicated this place in the photo.

photo_2023-04-10_03-54-10.jpgAES.jpg

Do you also have Pin 1 not tracked and not connected to chassis ground?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help.

I suggest you can email Kingwa directly, their email support is fast. I asked Kingwa multiple times and he always messaged back.

Apr 11, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #10,215 of 11,368
If by hungry you mean power hungry, then it is more to do with amps rather than the DACs that you've listed above.. (if I understood you correctly)

My HE9 Mk 2 controls Susvara pretty well (30-40 out of 100, knowing that after 60 the power chart goes parabolic). Susvara is power hungry but different in the sense that you don't need high volume to hear everything clearly.. the clarity at low volume is very good too (if it makes sense). When I contacted Kingwa, he stated that HE9 Mk2 is capable of driving Susvara to its full potential.. at this point I have no doubt this is the case..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back