New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 5, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #10,156 of 11,368
I think AGD should come out with a DI30HE which has an internal high precision clock that rivals good external clocks that can also provides clock signal to the AGD dac.
Yes a DDCLOCK. The new new.

Formfactor = R8HMK2

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #10,157 of 11,368
wrong thread.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #10,158 of 11,368
I've been experimenting with different sources and the best USB signal I could get in my system was coming from a portable DAP (AK SE200) closely followed by Mac Mini (Roon). As much as I like the slightly euphonic sound of AK, the idea of constantly running a battery powered device is not gonna fly for multiple reasons. Is there any better option that wouldn't cost an arm and leg and will confidently outperform the two options above?
Has anyone tried Cayin iDAP-6 with R8HE / R7HE via I2s? Is it compatible both for PCM and DSD? Sound-wise this digital transport is praised quite highly and the price tag is reasonable.. I don't even think DI20HE is still needed in such a set up..

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #10,159 of 11,368
I have an older R8, and no di-20, so no clock inputs for me, but I am wondering about them. People were saying that if they had both, the clock on the dac worked better than the clock on the di-20. Is the reason for this because the signal gets reclocked by the FPGA, anyhow?
I bought it a year too soon for the clock input, and now there's a mk3 out. Am I going to be one of the AGD people who sell the older models and buy a more current one? When I listen for the difference my clocks make compared to the old junk I had, it's sad that nobody has yet invented a clock that keeps exact time. Whoever does, will control time from then on. Because of my R8, I understand that digital audio playback is destined for 'my chip(s) can play violin virtuoso's I've never heard before better than yours.' Now I'm working on what Bach would think of a robotic attachment with wifi for a violin that can play any sheet music scanned on any violin you attach it to, like a virtuoso. Because a symphony of that wouldn't fit at home, and what about what Bach is writing about, maybe not the robot players with accurate clocks, but come on, an actual violin playing in your living room compared to a stereo system? Maybe a side job to look into.
What do you think a showdown between Hilary Hahn and a Casio keyboard would be like, as far as accurate interpretation according to sheet music? Can't help rooting for Hillary, but that would be a challenge. Probably a virtuoso's job is to turn wanting to play the violin whenever she feels like it into something that can win. She has probably already considered a showdown between metronomes. She would probably think the clocks on your playback make her sound awful, and stop recording. Ohoh, we'd better say she's really great, we're just too ignorant to know any better.
Anyways, thanks for all the talk about agd dac's, I understand them much better having read you all. What if there were an option on mk4 dac's to bypass the FPGA and it's clocks (that's what they come after, right?), because the clock was on the di-20, and it was already doing what the same as the FPGA on the dac? Wouldn't there be 1 less FPGA chip in the chain, chips being full of transistors that sound less realistic than tubes? The DI-20 is really just to capture and resend better what your transport wasn't too good at, right? It's adding another chip to your chain after that. I still don't understand why the DI-20 works better than the input on the mk2 dac, isn't it the same thing? Oh, that must be the model that could upgrade to the isolated isolated usb input, mine was too old they said.
In order to avoid finding another thread to post in, is a disc reading transport going to inherently be the best transport, because it is reading uncompressed files without a chip in it? If so, how about a usb reading transport that reads uncompressed files from a usb drive (I prefer a stick for low noise). Does it need a chip for it's usb reading? It would probably be a low transistor count one if it did. I know it sounds like a network streamer, but no, without a chip for compressed files to pass through. I can hear an irritating difference I couldn't fall asleep to with compressed music. Waiting for a software player that streams in advance, uncompresses the track to 1 of 10 temporary hard drive files, then just plays that directly. Sent the recommendation to Audirvana, no votes yet. FLAC only thinks it's getting away with it because it's all there, but it's noisy to do that. But if the player did that, everyone would know tagging or storage space will never have to be a compromise.
VIrtouso's probably think your bowing is no good if you think we already know how to make robots bow like a virtuoso. But they probably still think your rubber finger work would be the real joke if you tried. Until someone goes for it, we'll have to like them even though our gear sounds fake.
Will we leave digital audio for quantum audio? Digital files copied to quantum will probably sound like the dac you plugged into a cheap digital to quantum converter, but the playback will seem like you finally found a good dac chip. Old master tapes will sound better than you've heard them before. Digital recordings will sound even more like there isn't even digital recording, it's actually transcription.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #10,160 of 11,368
Off topic Part 1/3: But meant for the streamer who has files.

I got one year older yesterday I am now 3 years old in HiFi. Yesterday was an eyeopener for me, now that I finally found out why there are "distractions" when I play audio files. It´s not easy to hear the differences for the untrained ear. The hint is to follow the music, the instruments, it´s so obvious to hear the differences and hear them move around in the music.

The first session Im confirming myself after yesterday after a listening session on great speakers is this:

1. Installing my Foobar2000 on an internal SSD
- that is only dedicated for this/portable installation. No "relation" to the system disk/Windows.
2. Streaming files from NAS/Synology

A/B test between Foobar on system disk and the portable version/dedicated.

The conclusion for me is that these "distraction" are less on dedicated installaton vs on windows/system disk. It makes an obvious difference, even though it is soo small. You can hear the instruments move, the silence/calm, the articulation between notes is more evident.

Great song for the test if you like the music is Plini - Ill Tell you someday.

1680777792866.png

Part 2 - Local playback session of files on a seperate disk dedicated for files only. Local vs NAS
Part 3 - Foobar installed on to usb stick and placed on JCAT USB XE .... Local vs NAS

(....well I always knew in a DAW enviroment the performance is better to separate software samples and instruments to seperate disk, only installing the AUDIO/MIDI sequencer on systemdisk. I never witnessed this in person to my ears, because I never gaved it a thought.)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #10,161 of 11,368
Anything that can bring noise down matters. Recently, i got upgrades with these

1. Adding a switch with linear power supply to replace the wifi connection to my streamer
2. Adding one gtx-d ncf (r) to my power strip and one to the wall.
3. Getting a better enclosure, high-quality wire and iec to assemble a new power strip
4. Applying grounding boxes and tubes on the power strip and isolator, dac, di and pre.

I think that the power is much polluted where i am with RFI. All these actions brought an improvement of the same magnitude as getting a higher class dac. Pretty amazing. Blacker background, more relaxed and laid back presentation, better staging (better depth and width), more details, juicier timbres and of course, more enjoyement. Power is the most important thing,.as Kingwa says.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #10,162 of 11,368

1. Addibg a switch with linear power supply to replace the wifi connection to my streamer
3. Getting a better enclosure, high-quality wire and iec to assemble a new power strip
4. Applying grounding boxes and tubes on the power strip and isolator, dac, di and pre.

I think that the power is much polluted where i am with RFI. All these actions brought an improvemenr of the same magnitude as getting a higher class dac. Pretty amazing. Blacker background, more relaxed and laid back presentation, better staging (better depth and width), more details, juicier timbers and of course, more enjoyement. Power is the most important thing,.as Kingwa says.
POWER POWER POWER POWER POWER....Just looking at the inside of all Kingwas designs brings emphasis to this, of how important it is. The power design in itself is as worth as the whole price itself, even more.

A DAC, AMP has there potential, but only power optimization can bring the potential, if its polluted, yes cable improvements are all important.

Apr 6, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #10,163 of 11,368
POWER POWER POWER POWER POWER....Just looking at the inside of all Kingwas designs brings emphasis to this, of how important it is. The power design in itself is as worth as the whole price itself, even more.

A DAC, AMP has there potential, but only power optimization can bring the potential, if its polluted, yes cable improvements are all important.
Power cords too of course.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #10,164 of 11,368
My recent experience tells me it is: SOURCE, SOURCE, SOURCE (with clean power) and then all the rest. Especially in our case where we are spoiled by Kingwa's HE designs.. The AGD gear is amazing.. only if you feed it with high quality input.. otherwise it is: garbage in - garbage out.. I stopped using streaming services as well after a couple of tests where I played exactly the same file both in Qobuz and from a local SSD.. the difference is huge..

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #10,165 of 11,368

1. Adding a switch with linear power supply to replace the wifi connection to my streamer

I think that the power is much polluted where i am with RFI. All these actions brought an improvemenr of the same magnitude as getting a higher class dac. Pretty amazing. Blacker background, more relaxed and laid back presentation, better staging (better depth and width), more details, juicier timbers and of course, more enjoyement. Power is the most important thing,.as Kingwa says.
I've been considering whether or not to upgrade to a wired connection and a switch.

I don't really stream much, most of my music is files playing off a 2.5" ssd, does it still yield improvements without streaming?

Reason why I'm curious about this is that there is alot of RFI where I live, I pick up at least 50 different wifi signals in my apt and theres a cellular installation 2 buildings over from me.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #10,166 of 11,368
It is always the audio system's worst components that determine how good and accurate it will sound.

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #10,167 of 11,368
My recent experience tells me it is: SOURCE, SOURCE, SOURCE (with clean power) and then all the rest. Especially in our case where we are spoiled by Kingwa's HE designs.. The AGD gear is amazing.. only if you feed it with high quality input.. otherwise it is: garbage in - garbage out.. I stopped using streaming services as well after a couple of tests where I played exactly the same file both in Qobuz and from a local SSD.. the difference is huge..
Yeah Im configuring a new windows image with alot smaller footprint in NTLITE for a DIY streamer(ASRock J5040-ITX Mini ITX)
Will buy 24pinatx connector and use iFi Elite or this time my first LPSU.

(Just test purpose and comparison between my other NAS)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #10,168 of 11,368
Yeah Im configuring a new windows image with alot smaller footprint in NTLITE for a DIY streamer(ASRock J5040-ITX Mini ITX)
Will buy 24pinatx connector and use iFi Elite or this time my first LPSU.

(Just test purpose and comparison between my other NAS)
Used $200 Mac mini 2012 sounds WAY better than any Windows PC I have ever connected to the AGD rig (DDC or no DDC).. I will play with it for a while until I move along to the Aurender / Innuos territory..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back